This discussion is closed.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
gangsta1, if you got a Cambridge interview then obviously academically you're fine. but to be rejected from other medical schools without interview i'd be inclined to look towards your PS as i get the impression this is the key decider beyond whether the student is predicted the minimum grades.
Nah, Cambridge aren't selecting for interview based on BMAT scores yet unlike your place, so they're still interviewing pretty much everyone. And if you got allocated to Caius then obviously it wasn't the most competitive college, they put you in places with less than average numbers of applicants per place :rolleyes:

I'd be inclined to look at your PS though, as Elles says.
shampagne
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I got B's and C's in my AS's (excluding my only A in gen stud ), got 1 offer 1 rejection and had another interview, and am still waiting to hear anything from one, so grades can't mean everything . don't forget there have been many more applicants this year, maybe cus of the top-up fees next year, so it might not be that you had a weak personal statement. You got an interview at Cambridge so ur PS can't be bad!
Good luck for leicester
x
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by shampagne)
You got an interview at Cambridge so ur PS can't be bad!
i'm not entirely convinced by that..

(Original post by Helenia - Cambridge medic)
Nah, Cambridge aren't selecting for interview based on BMAT scores yet unlike your place, so they're still interviewing pretty much everyone.
(Original post by me a few posts up, previous Oxbridge applicant)
..but to be rejected from other medical schools without interview i'd be inclined to look towards your PS as i get the impression this is the key decider beyond whether the student is predicted the minimum grades...

I think sometimes perhaps oxbridge applicants might be a little overly academic rather than vocational in their PSs, which puts the more 'tomorrow's doctors' to the letter type schools off.
grades above the minimum & rejections pre-interview from the majority of schools definitely suggests PS to me (unless there was something truly terrible on the Ref. but Gansta thought this was good..) & "unlucky" might be 1 pre-interview rejection.

if you want to PM me with your PS gansta, i could have a look? i read through quite a few before they were sent of applicants who have had degrees of success..
gangsta1
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by endeavour)
The B could be a possible factor in your Cambridge rejection, but I don't see how it could affect your other unis too much as all of them give AAB offers anyway. Does your GCSE meet the minimum criteria for all the other unis?

Have you had any feedback yet? Also have you read your reference?
Only got feedback from cambridge. They said 'Although I made a really strong application I was simply squeezed out by the high competition'.

Refrence was brilliant.
gangsta1
(Original post by ponjavic)
Well even if the usual offers are AAB I'm sure they'd prefer one of the As to be biology?
I was 10marks off an A in biology.

I got 98% in one module for biology. The other one was a B.
Because I lost 3/4 marks in my coursework I was pushed down to 60/90 on my UMS because most ppl get near full marks on coursework.

I have resat the module I messed up and will also be re-doing last year's coursework so I should end up with a really good A.
Bilal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
alrite mate? where did you get rejected from?

i got rejected from newcastle before interview!!! :mad: :mad:

i dunno why i got rejected though because i've already met their academic requirements, i've got a good p.s (had 3 interviews with it) and a really good reference (teacher gave me a copy).

:bootyshak u newcastle!!!!! :mad:
JackieS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
if you wanna know why you could ask them for feedback.....
Bilal
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
do newcastle give feedback?
JackieS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm sure uni's have to give feedback if you ask - but it might sound better coming from a teacher rather than u
Bilal
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i know manchester give you feedback, cos one of m8 got it from them. but i heard other uni's just say 'competition was too much this year' or something like that...
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bilal786)
alrite mate? where did you get rejected from?

i got rejected from newcastle before interview!!! :mad: :mad:

i dunno why i got rejected though because i've already met their academic requirements, i've got a good p.s (had 3 interviews with it) and a really good reference (teacher gave me a copy).

:bootyshak u newcastle!!!!! :mad:
They rejected me too, which was a bit annoying at the time but to be honest my Cambridge offer was through by then so I didn't mind too much For Medicine, the candidates are generally of such high calibre that really good people DO get rejected sometimes, even if you meet all the official criteria, maybe you're just not quite what they want. Really don't bother about feedback especially if you've got offers from other places, I doubt you'll hear anything useful.

Gangsta, I'd really have a look at your PS. And possibly your attitude - while it's understandable that you are annoyed at this many rejections, you do come across as a bit complacent about expecting to get in. If this came across in your PS (though I don't know if it did) it may have been offputting.
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
If this came across in your PS (though I don't know if it did) it may have been offputting.
You might also wish to take into consideration that the overwhelming majority of Medicine applicants (certainly to the universities from which you have been rejected) will be able to boast a veritable constellation of A*s at GCSE-level, in addition to the standard AAA/AAB benchmark predictions. Presuming your reference/personal statement to be as genuinely watertight as you make out, those GCSE grades could well be your one academic shortfall, and possibly one significant enough to warrant outright rejection from (many, if not all of) the universities in question.
platinumki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
To an extent, luck has to be involved - someone likes you, someone didn't, two identical candidates and they throw a metaphorical dart. It's not as easy as it should be in some respects - I can't imagine that there were light years between other candidates and I. Perhaps the uni wanted more state school candidates/ girls (unlikely)/ Scots etc. I hate to admit it, but the system is very flawed. I kow people studying medicine WHO SHOULD NOT BE. For example, the girl who had less that the entrace criteria and gave up her job at a nursing home becuase it was 'gross.' But she applied through a special access scheme and becuase her parents got divorced, she took the plce of a better candidate. Her grades are circumstance are, in this case, irrelevant - I know this girl and she is simply not smart enough, scraping by with upteen tutors. As she herself said "I was **** at English when my parents lived together."

Edinburgh have 3000 medicine applicants, 80% with straight As. This girls took the place of someone who I have NO DOUBT, would have made a better doctor. The system is flawed, but we should all enter it with that in mind. :hmpf:
Bilal
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by platinumki)
Perhaps the uni wanted more state school candidates/ girls (unlikely)/ Scots etc.
Yup, dat's me and I still got rejected. :mad:
Edinburgh have 3000 medicine applicants, 80% with straight As. This girls took the place of someone who I have NO DOUBT, would have made a better doctor. The system is flawed, but we should all enter it with that in mind. :hmpf:
they've got 2200 (roughly) applicants dis year - coming from kathlene hood (teh admissions person).
platinumki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yup, dat's me and I still got rejected. :mad:

they've got 2200 (roughly) applicants dis year - coming from kathlene hood (teh admissions person).
yeah, it changes, I got the stats from Alan McLaughlan - no idea if that is spelled right - on some admissions committee at Edinburgh who spoke to our school.

Aww - Bilal, where are you from and where did you apply?
Bilal
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeah, it changes, I got the stats from Alan McLaughlan - no idea if that is spelled right - on some admissions committee at Edinburgh who spoke to our school.
loool... i got those figures from his secretary over teh phone - kathelen hood. :rolleyes:
gangsta1
(Original post by Elles)

gangsta1, if you got a Cambridge interview then obviously academically you're fine. but to be rejected from other medical schools without interview i'd be inclined to look towards your PS as i get the impression this is the key decider beyond whether the student is predicted the minimum grades.

i appreciate you thought your PS was 'great' - did you get much feedback from other people though? who've seen various medical PSs? did you look up the admissions criteria for your schools & make sure your PS demonstrated them? did you focus sufficiently on work exp., motivation & commitment?

I think sometimes perhaps oxbridge applicants might be a little overly academic rather than vocational in their PSs, which puts the more 'tomorrow's doctors' to the letter type schools off. e.g. PQ is on record here somewhere saying Southampton think all AAAA types will want to be researchers rather than clinicians, so are less inclined to accept them. :hmpf:

hope this may help.
A lot of my teachers have read my PS and said that it was brilliant. So did all my friends.

In my PS I gave no hint that I was intending to go into reasearching. It is the other way around. I am surprised that Cambridge even gave me an interview because all my PS was about my work experiece in Nursing home, GP and a Orthopaedics department of my local hospital. I am not a typical oxbridge applicant so was not dissapointed when i got rejected.

BTW I do not intendto go into the researching field.
idiopathic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by gangsta1)
A lot of my teachers have read my PS and said that it was brilliant. So did all my friends.

In my PS I gave no hint that I was intending to go into reasearching. It is the other way around. I am surprised that Cambridge even gave me an interview because all my PS was about my work experiece in Nursing home, GP and a Orthopaedics department of my local hospital. I am not a typical oxbridge applicant so was not dissapointed when i got rejected.

BTW I do not intendto go into the researching field.
Hmm this sounds rather strange then.

did you say (in PS or interview) that you were NOT into research for definite? Medical schools like their applicants to be open minded.

By the way, I don't mean to be picky but am just curious to find anything slightly amiss in your application.
platinumki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
loool... i got those figures from his secretary over teh phone - kathelen hood. :rolleyes:
lol - he has a secretary, that's hilarious. He's just this geeky ex-pupil who always comes on positive-thinking type days and tells us that he joined the huggabugga-jaffa-cake appreciation society and the teachers always **** him off behind his back. But he did give me a few pointers for my PS so I shouldn't knock him....

so, did you apply to Edinburgh, then?
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by gangsta1)
i see, must have been considerably better than mine then..no-one declared mine as brilliant, yet it did the trick in 3/4..

(Original post by helenia)
And possibly your attitude - while it's understandable that you are annoyed at this many rejections, you do come across as a bit complacent about expecting to get in. If this came across in your PS (though I don't know if it did) it may have been offputting.
maybe worth considering this then?

because applicants with the pre-requisite grades (unless your GCSEs were subject to a cut off point - but then you probably would have been told that?) & PS & ref. exuding 'brilliance' just don't get rejected pre-interview from 1/2 their applications unless something is amiss as Endeavor says.. :rolleyes:

request feedback..?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads