This discussion is closed.
Bilal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by platinumki)
lol - he has a secretary, that's hilarious. He's just this geeky ex-pupil who always comes on positive-thinking type days and tells us that he joined the huggabugga-jaffa-cake appreciation society and the teachers always **** him off behind his back. But he did give me a few pointers for my PS so I shouldn't knock him....

so, did you apply to Edinburgh, then?
lol nah, i'm mates with her son.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by gangsta1)
In my PS I gave no hint that I was intending to go into reasearching. It is the other way around. I am surprised that Cambridge even gave me an interview because all my PS was about my work experiece in Nursing home, GP and a Orthopaedics department of my local hospital. I am not a typical oxbridge applicant so was not dissapointed when i got rejected.
Can I just say that Cambridge did not give you an interview for any of those reasons, Cambridge gave you an interview because they give everyone an interview. I haven't read your PS, but there must be something amiss somewhere.
claire1987
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Med schools like to see that you are enthusiastic and committed, so they don't just want to see a list of the work exp that you have done, you needed to make yourself sound interesting at the same time, and so although your PS may have had all the things it needed technically, if you sounded too formal, or boring, then they won't be as interested, remember, those looking at it are real people, and so you need to engage them, and make them like you! Like one of the students showing us round Sheffield said, 'if they like you, they'll let you in. If they don't, they don't. There's nothing you can do about it.'
gangsta1
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by endeavour)
Hmm this sounds rather strange then.

did you say (in PS or interview) that you were NOT into research for definite? Medical schools like their applicants to be open minded.

By the way, I don't mean to be picky but am just curious to find anything slightly amiss in your application.
In my PS I talked about my work experience none of which was research. I never talked about specific career plans. But for my cambridge interview when asked, I said that after my work experience I was very interested in orthopaedics however I added that this was most likely to change because during the course I am likely to find another field a lot more interesting (be it in research or in a hospital).
gangsta1
Thanks for all you replies. I agree that my PS can be improved. There will be improvement in that department when i re-apply next year. OK it was not brilliant but I thought it was good enough to get me atleast an inteview.

BTW I had an interview at Leicester few days ago before I was informed of the last 2 rejections. If I knew of the rejections pre-interview then I would have perapared a lot better.

Once again I would like to thank you all for all your help
Bilal
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
you know what pisses me of very very much? it's that newcastle enter clearing every single year!!! :mad: :mad:
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bilal786)
you know what pisses me of very very much? it's that newcastle enter clearing every single year!!! :mad: :mad:
why?
presumably they think they can pick up some good students there? & they generally do very rapidly!
or they're scared of over-offering, which will cost them money & screw up next year's intake (Bristol stylee.. ).

gangsta1 - got your PM - will get back to you ASAP but slight essay crisis, ahem, 3 essays due in the space of 4 days, so will need some spare time to give a decent response!
gangsta1
(Original post by Elles)
gangsta1 - got your PM - will get back to you ASAP but slight essay crisis, ahem, 3 essays due in the space of 4 days, so will need some spare time to give a decent response!
No worries. Thanks for taking the time to look at it neway.
gangsta1
I presume that is for medicine??? Do they re-consider the ppl that they have already rejected, through clearing?
Bilal
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
why?
presumably they think they can pick up some good students there? & they generally do very rapidly!
or they're scared of over-offering, which will cost them money & screw up next year's intake (Bristol stylee.. ).
well, they generally tend to do really selective interviews and end up rejecting really good applicants (i've seen on MSG; the other people who got rejected seem to have really good applications) and my friend has also been rejected from there and his application is well good! why don't they give out more interviews like other universities do?
Bilal
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I presume that is for medicine??? Do they re-consider the ppl that they have already rejected, through clearing?
I'm not too sure, all that I know is that them and durham do clearing (for med)...
Bilal
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by platinumki)
lol - he has a secretary, that's hilarious. He's just this geeky ex-pupil who always comes on positive-thinking type days and tells us that he joined the huggabugga-jaffa-cake appreciation society and the teachers always **** him off behind his back. But he did give me a few pointers for my PS so I shouldn't knock him....

so, did you apply to Edinburgh, then?
actaully i don't know if she's his secretary but they work in the same dept. she was tellin me though that she sites in on the interviews that they do and they definitely DON'T like people over-preparing because they can supposedly see it a mile off. so they just rejected the guy in the end.
platinumki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeah - being genuine is the only option
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Your GCSE's are poor for a medicine applicant and you got a B in perhaps the most vital subject to Medicine, at AS.

So it's not a mystery.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
When I was applying they sent me a letter in July saying something along the lines of "We know we rejected you earlier in the year but if you're not holding any offers yet we'd like to offer you the chance to come up for interview so we can assess your suitability should places become available through clearing."

So I wrote them a very charming e-mail back saying "Thanks, but I'm holding an offer for Cambridge so don't need your pity"
platinumki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
When I was applying they sent me a letter in July saying something along the lines of "We know we rejected you earlier in the year but if you're not holding any offers yet we'd like to offer you the chance to come up for interview so we can assess your suitability should places become available through clearing."

So I wrote them a very charming e-mail back saying "Thanks, but I'm holding an offer for Cambridge so don't need your pity"
hehe - I like it, I like it!
Bilal
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)

lol... good on you!

but, why didn't they interview you in the first place? :confused:
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nima)
Your GCSE's are poor for a medicine applicant and you got a B in perhaps the most vital subject to Medicine, at AS.

So it's not a mystery.
grades aren't bad, this person did a lot of subjects and got above the minimum gcse grades for most subjects. Many unis don't state which grades you need to have in which subjects so it shouldn't matter which grade he got in which subjects
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Gotta agree with Elles - loads of people have pm'ed me to have a 'woe is me' whinge about being rejected from med schools, dispite AAAA grades/1st class degrees and 'excellent' PS's. I have to say of the PS's I have read from these people, most were poor and obviously lacking certain key elements, and only 1 struck me as being fantastic and as original as a PS can get.

The big 'problem' with school peeps writing PS's is that the school often has too big a say in the final version - people think that this is a bonus, having PS's rewritten/reworked by teachers etc, but often it can have the exact reverse effect. I've heard some stories from admissions officers of being able to spot people from the same school as their PS's are so similar. This can really count against you when trying to make it on to the interview list. If a school have any doubt as to the 'original author' of a PS, then they probably won't interview you, even if you are a great candidate.

Rejection is harsh, and all though medicine is compeative and random, perhaps unwise, rejections are made, you also have to consider the fact that your application might have been lacking something and try to find out what it is. Not facing up to this means that you won't gain anything from the experience and a negative experience will remain as so....

Good luck with Leicester.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I actually think this is very wise and shrewd on Newcastles part. Many fantastic students get randomly rejected and end up with no offers. All Newcastle are doing is widening their audience to the whole of the remaining field and not just limiting themselves to those who applied to them.

It takes a lot of extra admin work on Newcastles part, which I'm sure that they wouldn't put themselves through it if they didn't reap rewards from it!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (142)
17.95%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
26.93%
Not great so far... (283)
35.78%
I want to drop out! (153)
19.34%

Watched Threads