Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bilal786)
lol... good on you!

but, why didn't they interview you in the first place? :confused:
No idea, bit annoying at the time, but c'est la vie. It's medicine, not many people get all 4 offers. I didn't actually say the "I don't need your pity" line, just phrased it roughly like that.
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
It's medicine, not many people get all 4 offers.
<trivia>

the only person i know who actually did subseqently missed all her offers.
tomcoolinguk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
<trivia>

the only person i know who actually did subseqently missed all her offers. :
(
I'm sorry- but thats actually quite funny, in a sick and twisted kind of way.

One of my friends has four offers for med, and teachers at my school didnt actually think she was good enough to apply!
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by tomcoolinguk)
I'm sorry- but thats actually quite funny, in a sick and twisted kind of way.
oh yes, i agree. only it was my best friend, & i made my firm - so our results day wasn't a barrel of laughs, as you can imagine!

she reapplied & got all 4 again i think - but is subsequently doing Audiology.. funny old world & seems to me offers evidently are definitely not soley about grades
gangsta1
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Helenia, I have PM'd you my PS.
wednesburywench
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
According to my biology teacher i shudnt have applied cus i had basically no chance of getting in cus some guy the yr b4 didnt n he had straight As. I have abb at As, with no fourth As level, and am predicted ABB for a level. I have no work experience, and come from a deprived area, my grades were 2nd highest in my school. I have an offer from liverpool and an interview at Bristol next week. Aint herd off cardiff yet. Prooves grades arnt everything (although personally i was happy with my grades cus i worked my ass off). Maybe their looking for sumat a tad other than the perfect student.

I have nothing that stands out about me, no extra curricular nothing....but maybe my personality just seemd right to them? i duno! afterall medcine is about commuinicating not gettin straight As.
JackieS
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by wednesburywench)
According to my biology teacher i shudnt have applied cus i had basically no chance of getting in cus some guy the yr b4 didnt n he had straight As. I have abb at As, with no fourth As level, and am predicted ABB for a level. I have no work experience, and come from a deprived area, my grades were 2nd highest in my school. I have an offer from liverpool and an interview at Bristol next week. Aint herd off cardiff yet. Prooves grades arnt everything (although personally i was happy with my grades cus i worked my ass off). Maybe their looking for sumat a tad other than the perfect student.

I have nothing that stands out about me, no extra curricular nothing....but maybe my personality just seemd right to them? i duno! afterall medcine is about commuinicating not gettin straight As.
maybe thats what they liked the most......the face that you actually stood out because you didn't conform to the usual type of people who apply for medicine (i.e. those with tonnes of straight a's, work experience coming out of their ears etc)
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
grades aren't bad, this person did a lot of subjects and got above the minimum gcse grades for most subjects. Many unis don't state which grades you need to have in which subjects so it shouldn't matter which grade he got in which subjects
This person is applying for perhaps the most competitive course, and GCSE Grades which "aren't bad" is simply not good enough to then argue about rejections! Also, unis won't state the grades needed in GCSE subjects barring Eng/Maths/Sci needing C's, but these are the absolute minimum requirements to apply; the fact that you have say, B's/C's etc. in Science will only count heavily against you; especially when so many applicants have A*'s/A's at GCSE and the rest of it.
wednesburywench
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
the people who say they cant understand why they got rejections are basically saying they think their perfect.....i think the med schools are trying to aim away from that sort of person myself.. if i got a rejection (which i have) id just grist my teeth and accpet it, not say well im so great i am practically guarenteed a place. No1 is perfect and no1 is guarenteed a place. Arrogance gets you nowhere.
tele-skier
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
At the end of the day,its not solely about grades - the person you are is just as important. I got 3 unconditional offers with BBC at A Level and a 2:2. Everyone seems to forget that virtually all the people who apply are exceptionally bright and articulate in their PS's. You just have to offer that bit more or have something that different. My grades were arrse at A Level and Degree but because I have done interesting things with my life I was selected. At the end of the day, if you really want to study medicine, you will work at it as long as it takes. Even if you have to apply at 26 like me. If anyone wants me to look at a PS or give advice, I will happily do so. I'd like to think I learnt a few useful things in the wilderness between leaving school and starting medicine!

TS

PS Wednesbury lady - nice one!!
gangsta1
(Original post by wednesburywench)
the people who say they cant understand why they got rejections are basically saying they think their perfect.....i think the med schools are trying to aim away from that sort of person myself.. if i got a rejection (which i have) id just grist my teeth and accpet it, not say well im so great i am practically guarenteed a place. No1 is perfect and no1 is guarenteed a place. Arrogance gets you nowhere.
I never said that I was guaranteed a place. I know all medical applicants are absolutely brilliant.

However I am bit pissed off cos I literally worked my ass off at AS-level to get these grades. Anyone would be if they knew how much effort I have out in. My predicted grades at AS were D/E(chem), C(bio), D(physics), C(computing), U(gen studies). It's not as though I was being lazy when I got these predicted grades. I was actually working quite hard(not hard enough). In the months before the exam I did a lot more work. On my AS results day every one thought that I had got hold of a fake results slip and commented on how authentic it looked. Even I did not believe it at first as I was expecting 1/2 B's at most.

The same thing happened with my GCSE's. Most of my subject teachers said that they would be happy with me if I just passed(C).

As you can see I am not a straight A student as many ppl on here are implying. This explains why my GCSE's weren't 'good enough' according to your standards. But I am personally proud of these results and so are my parents and teachers.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by gangsta1)
Anyone would be if they knew how much effort I have out in. My predicted grades at AS were D/E(chem), C(bio), D(physics), C(computing), U(gen studies).
Did these grades go on your UCAS form, or did you go to a school where teachers are prepared to put whatever you want them to put?
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
gangsta.. PM-ed you back.. needed some procrastination from work! :p: (sorry if you don't especially like my comments though.. have gone for brutally honest, as ever.. )

does your school have many people applying for medicine, out of interest?
gangsta1
(Original post by Fluffy)
Did these grades go on your UCAS form, or did you go to a school ?
These wer my predicted grades at AS.

No I do not go to a school 'where teachers are prepared to put whatever you want them to put'. In fact, my chemistry teacher gave me a predicted B for UCAS even though I got an A at AS. Eventually I managed to get that changed to an A before the UCAS form was sent off.
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
These wer my predicted grades at AS.

No I do not go to a school 'where teachers are prepared to put whatever you want them to put'. In fact, my chemistry teacher gave me a predicted B for UCAS even though I got an A at AS. Eventually I managed to get that changed to an A before the UCAS form was sent off.
Who's your chemistry teacher?
gangsta1
(Original post by Elles)
does your school have many people applying for medicine, out of interest?
About 10-20 medicine applicants. And 25+ oxbridge applicants so it is a decent college.
visesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
About 10-20 medicine applicants. And 25+ oxbridge applicants so it is a decent college.
How did the Oxbridge people fare?
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
10 got in
gangsta1
(Original post by visesh)
Dunno the exact statistics for this year but last year 12 ended up in oxbridge( got offers and met the offers in the end)
gangsta1
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
10 got in
EH????
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (144)
60.25%
No I haven't decided yet (54)
22.59%
Yes but I might change my mind (41)
17.15%

Watched Threads