10 got in
Whos this?
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nima)
This person is applying for perhaps the most competitive course, and GCSE Grades which "aren't bad" is simply not good enough to then argue about rejections! Also, unis won't state the grades needed in GCSE subjects barring Eng/Maths/Sci needing C's, but these are the absolute minimum requirements to apply; the fact that you have say, B's/C's etc. in Science will only count heavily against you; especially when so many applicants have A*'s/A's at GCSE and the rest of it.
This person got GCSE 1A*, 6A, 4B, 1C these are really good grades especially bareing in mind that they did 12 subjects. I know lots of people in my course who got grades which are lower than this and with fewer subjects. Not everyone on a medical course has all a*'s and a's. I can't see the GCSE grades as being the reason.
gangsta1
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Who's your chemistry teacher?
Wears a grey wooly blazer all the time.
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You go to CRGS? 10 people got Oxbridge offers, it was in the CAT last week
wednesburywench
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
wow all these posh colleges. I was one of 2 people to apply. and i think only 3 people have ever applied for med, and no1 to oxbridge ever. 25+ applied!! wow. is it a grammar school like? My school has an average points score of 180 which is really high for our area. I never said you were the one saying you shuda got in, i meant generally not you specifically by the way. didnt intend to offend any1, just makin a point that u need to accept this and move on, on results day wen u get ur 4 as, reapply next year. I understand how hard u probly worked for those grades, i have to work so hard to get my required AAB, and i duno how im gona do it!
gangsta1
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
You go to CRGS? 10 people got Oxbridge offers, it was in the CAT last week
Yeh i do. Wots CAT? I am guessing it is that local newspaper. BTW u know which chemistry teacher I am talkin bout dont u.
gangsta1
(Original post by wednesburywench)
wow all these posh colleges.
Trust me it's not.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
This person got GCSE 1A*, 6A, 4B, 1C these are really good grades especially bareing in mind that they did 12 subjects. I know lots of people in my course who got grades which are lower than this and with fewer subjects. Not everyone on a medical course has all a*'s and a's. I can't see the GCSE grades as being the reason.
They're not that good though, really. They're not poor, but they are not great, to be brutally honest.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by gangsta1)
Trust me it's not.

We have quite a few CRGS ex-pupils in my year who disagree with you!
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I mean there's no comparision between here:
http://www.crgs.co.uk/

and the ****ehole I went to...

LH
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
I mean there's no comparision between here:
http://www.crgs.co.uk/

and the ****ehole I went to...

What about this one?

http://www.clitheroe.lancsngfl.ac.uk/
LH
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeh i do. Wots CAT? I am guessing it is that local newspaper. BTW u know which chemistry teacher I am talkin bout dont u.
CAT = Clitheroe Advertiser and Times

I think I know who you mean, I've never had very good relations with the science department.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by LH)
What about this one?

http://www.clitheroe.lancsngfl.ac.uk/
Looks even nicer that the other CRGS!
pantryboy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
GCSE 1A*, 6A, 4B, 1C
AS Bio B (predicted A), Chem A, Physics A, Computing A, Gen studies A
It'll be your GCSEs; they have to get down to the nitty gritty for such a competitve course.
ponjavic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Juxtapiped)
It'll be your GCSEs; they have to get down to the nitty gritty for such a competitve course.
Watch your words, some moody people might give you neg rep (should you care)
Atleast I got some, with the silly explanation that a girl at the person's course had low grades, so that justifies everything.
Btw I said that her B in AS biology might have been the cause and got scolded at. And I agree with you.
BLUREMI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol i wouldnt say the GCSEs are the prob i got worse GCSEs (7As 2 BS and AAAA at As) and ive got 2 interviews, no rejections and an offer at KINGS
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nima)
If you think 1A*, 6A, 4B, 1C at GCSE are really good grades for a medicine applicant applying to Cambridge, Leeds and Newcastle, then you are very mistaken. Relatively, they are poor, I'm afraid.

I'm sure you don't, in light of the unis that gangsta applied to and got rejected from, and the subject.
Maybe not caimbridge because they like you to have really high grades however for the other ones the grades meet the GCSE grade requirements I am pretty sure. Also the fact that they did 12 subjects might be taken into account. 7 A's and above, 4B's and 1C are good grades. I would be much more inclined to say that the problem lies with the personal statement. Obviously not haven't seen the PS I can't be sure but I think that is more likely than the GCSE grades.
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nima)
Your GCSE's are slightly better, and so are your AS Levels.
How are those grades better (no offense meant to the person who got them) This person got those grades plus some extra B's.
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
I would be much more inclined to say that the problem lies with the personal statement. Obviously not haven't seen the PS I can't be sure but I think that is more likely than the GCSE grades.
having seen PS (& hopefully given Gansta some thinsg to ponder in case the post interview result is bad news..) i'd be inclined to agree with you.

i really don't think - other than the minimum that med. schools discriminate on GCSEs grades.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads