ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipGarsed)
    I sell comprehensive state education so well, don't I? :rolleyes:

It was a good school though

honest.
    lol you'd make an excellent salesman :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ah.... school buses. Happy days - having fruit sald poured down my neck by my 'friend', watching same 'friend' have head glued to seat, opening emergency door at 30mph, getting lost and spending hours in a housing estate trying to get out, my sister being called as a witness when the driver was done for speeding, crashing into railings going round a corner, and quite a lot of RUNNING VERY FAST!!!
    sounds about right... but only one of my three buses is a school one... the other two just have old ladies tutting at me for simply wearing a uniform... so i flash my prefect badge lol.

State schools are the best (well you know what i mean) and there is an unstructured order with unspoken rules... 1) smoking only upstairs 2) pot upstairs to the back 3) a 5 min protes wait warrant calling the driver a wan***r and a 10 minute graduates to c**t 4) sixth formers are off limits for games 5) 7-9 are fair game 6) emergency exits can be used for emergencies like the bus driver not opening the doors at traffic lights 7) people whos parents own there own home are required to use cautious language and lowered voices.... the list goes on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jd27)
    I've actually really enjoyed my synoptic paper precisely because I've done most of it myself. It's the gothic, so I've got to read loads of fun(ny) books and watch loads of great films, and make my own decisions. I've even picked Rebecca (Daphne du Maurier, one of my favourite books!) as my supplementary text. Most of our going through Frankenstein i could ignore though, precisely because it consisted of my crazy irish teacher reading out passages and saying "gothic" emphatically. But hopefully i can coast it too!
    If we were doing Gothic novels you wouldn't have been able to stop me, but "The Duchess of Sodding Malfi" hardly gives me inspiration to start reading other Jacobean tragedy plays. It's great fun to watch on stage, but really not all that good on the page.

I think my synoptic paper is substantially different to what you lots' sound like... I have one standard essay question, which has a tendency to focus on general, stylistic questions, and then one question which asks me to compare my text to an unseen extract give to me in the exam.
    Quite how this counts as synoptic is beyond me, but it's not my place to complain about the exam structure, is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JHutcher)
    sounds about right... but only one of my three buses is a school one... the other two just have old ladies tutting at me for simply wearing a uniform... so i flash my prefect badge lol.

State schools are the best (well you know what i mean) and there is an unstructured order with unspoken rules... 1) smoking only upstairs 2) pot upstairs to the back 3) a 5 min protes wait warrant calling the driver a wan***r and a 10 minute graduates to c**t 4) sixth formers are off limits for games 5) 7-9 are fair game 6) emergency exits can be used for emergencies like the bus driver not opening the doors at traffic lights 7) people whos parents own there own home are required to use cautious language and lowered voices.... the list goes on
    ah yes... you've reminded me of the time when an old lady thwacked me over the head with an umbrella for (inadvertently) going in front of her in the queue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldfish)
    If we were doing Gothic novels you wouldn't have been able to stop me, but "The Duchess of Sodding Malfi" hardly gives me inspiration to start reading other Jacobean tragedy plays. It's great fun to watch on stage, but really not all that good on the page.

I think my synoptic paper is substantially different to what you lots' sound like... I have one standard essay question, which has a tendency to focus on general, stylistic questions, and then one question which asks me to compare my text to an unseen extract give to me in the exam.
    Quite how this counts as synoptic is beyond me, but it's not my place to complain about the exam structure, is it?
    Well, ours is similar to that. There are two questions, the first of which asks you to analyse unseen texts (two of them) and the second of which never changes and asks you to compare the four unseen texts given as to typicality of war literature. There are no set texts and you just read as widely as you want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldfish)

Lol I agree wholeheartedly about the Duchess of Malfi! Another English class in my year gets to do Othello- I am soooo jealous!

My 'synoptic' paper is nothing like any of the ones mentioned- we have to compare two tragic novels (The Return of the Native and Wuthering Heights) and then write a 'critical appreciation' of an unseen poem. I am looking forward to it though- it will be my last exam and the one that needs the least work

ReputationRep:
    Yay! now, our thread can have a rating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugarplumc)
    Lol I agree wholeheartedly about the Duchess of Malfi! Another English class in my year gets to do Othello- I am soooo jealous!

My 'synoptic' paper is nothing like any of the ones mentioned- we have to compare two tragic novels (The Return of the Native and Wuthering Heights) and then write a 'critical appreciation' of an unseen poem. I am looking forward to it though- it will be my last exam and the one that needs the least work
    Mine's more like this - we have to write a critical appreciation of a passage explaining why it's gothic and linking to other texts. Then an essay based on our set text and any others we may have read. Can also bring in films - alien, the shining - into that bit.

Really enjoyed the Duchess of Malfi on stage, but I can't see myself ever wanting to study it!

ReputationRep:
    <stabstabstab>
    Gods I'm hating English at the moment. Why can't the synoptic take a leaf out of my RS synoptic's book and actually be an essay that is meant to *gasp* bring together everything that you've studied in the A level.

Somebody needs to motivate me. :P

ReputationRep:
    my english synoptic is a totally different structure than the english boards, but I read I really good article from the chief examiner about your synoptic paper in english review if that helps....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simone de Beauv)
    my english synoptic is a totally different structure than the english boards, but I read I really good article from the chief examiner about your synoptic paper in english review if that helps....
    It probably doesn't help either of you :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Raphael~)
    It probably doesn't help either of you :p:

lol too true

ReputationRep:
    Ah.... school buses. Happy days - having fruit sald poured down my neck by my 'friend', watching same 'friend' have head glued to seat, opening emergency door at 30mph, getting lost and spending hours in a housing estate trying to get out, my sister being called as a witness when the driver was done for speeding, crashing into railings going round a corner, and quite a lot of RUNNING VERY FAST!!!

my best story is - a new bus driver driving a double decker and we came to a bridge. He turned round and said to us (we were on the bottom floor) how does he get under it. OMG OMG. We had to explain to him to go under it in the middle where the bridge is high enough for the bus to get through. For some strange reason everyone then swiftly got off the bus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trachea)
    my best story is - a new bus driver driving a double decker and we came to a bridge. He turned round and said to us (we were on the bottom floor) how does he get under it. OMG OMG. We had to explain to him to go under it in the middle where the bridge is high enough for the bus to get through. For some strange reason everyone then swiftly got off the bus.
    yes bus drivers :rolleyes: ours has taken to locking the back doors with a bicycle lock to stop it being opened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simone de Beauv)
    Do you do CCEA? What's the paper like? My school were going to do it but they opted for the easier option and chose edexcel, not that it's actually 'easy' lol

ReputationRep:
    i have drama post 1945 synoptic... which is really cool... if i didn't have my RS synoptic on the same day at the same time on the last day of exams.

ReputationRep:
    Yay, done with French! Eight exams down, eight to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugarplumc)
    Do you do CCEA? What's the paper like? My school were going to do it but they opted for the easier option and chose edexcel, not that it's actually 'easy' lol

yup I do CCEA for all my alevels (although some people do the english board for subjects like history and maybe maths I think- not too sure!)

My Eng synoptic seems awful- its a 2hr paper comparing two comedy of manners plays from different times- the restoration comedy (farquhar) and the post-victorian one (oscar wilde), I think on their own it would be ok to do an essay on, but having to compare them seems pretty difficult (propably becuase our synoptic teaching was so apalling I pretty much taught myself!)

At least the chaucer and the unseen poetry should be ok!

ReputationRep:
    School buses, ugh. On our buses, the sixth formers are expected to police the lower school, but since y11 and 12 left, the y7s have become uncontrollable. I ended up getting off the bus and fetching the deputy head last night - they wouldn't even listen to the driver. Hehehehe, he shouted at them lots.

ReputationRep:
    Omg one exam left out of 14... Tomorrow economics for 2 hours and then freedom! But I'm freaking out about making my offer! :eek: I ****ed up so many papers :bawling: never happened to me before but i guess there's a start to everything.... :bawling: I HATE EXAMS WITH PASSION !!!!!!!!! ARg oh well i guess I'll see what happen and not speculate too much but I'll shoot myself if I miss my offer!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 13, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.