New Cambridge students October 2005: let's get to know each other! Watch

JHutcher
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I had a friend who asked for two... mad... i feel as if i fail if i don't ask for an extra one... most people do.
platinumki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Raphael~)
lol I'd be worried if you had to do that for A Level maths :eek: :rolleyes: (You're doing maths, ja?!)
for Higher maths we use blank A4 - and I took 13 sheets, both sides :eek:

Got an A, though
~Raphael~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by platinumki)

Got an A, though
Dude, why do you need to write so much? (Unless you're one of THOSE girls that has to spread everything out all neat-like! :rolleyes: :p: :eek: )
platinumki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Raphael~)
Dude, why do you need to write so much? (Unless you're one of THOSE girls that has to spread everything out all neat-like! :rolleyes: :p: :eek: )
no - I just tend to do every sum incorrectly at least twice. :rolleyes: about 7 pages were scored out (I took 8 pages to do one 5 mark question)
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
no - I just tend to do every sum incorrectly at least twice. :rolleyes: about 7 pages were scored out (I took 8 pages to do one 5 mark question)
:eek: :rolleyes:
xx_ambellina_xx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JHutcher)
I had a friend who asked for two... mad... i feel as if i fail if i don't ask for an extra one... most people do.
not where I come from.
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
bother, that topped my record.
Simone de Beauv
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
my last exam was 20 in 2hrs (but then that was history of art so I guess it cant compare to maths in the same way )
coldfish
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nope, I don't do maths. English and RS are the ones I was thinking about. I seriously don't think I could fill an answer booklet in the course of an exam even if I was just writing out something already completely prefabricated in my head. :/

stop panicking me, you speed-writing demons! :P
Wasp39
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Got an A, though
I frequently got through an 8 page answer book and 3 or for extra sides. That was because my maths teacher always went on about making sure you show all your working. Obviously parts were quite spaced out and had large diagrams etc., but it worked for me
sugarplumc
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Simone de Beauv)
my last exam was 20 in 2hrs (but then that was history of art so I guess it cant compare to maths in the same way )
Omg I've never heard of anyone who writes as much as I do! My record was my GCSE English lit paper where I wrote 24 sides in 2 hours 15mins (!) but I generally write about 6 sides for an hour long English essay now (I've been trying to reduce it). My teacher is always telling our class to make sure they spend 15 mins reading each poem before they start writing and not to be put off by the 'idiot' who starts writing after about 3 minutes- I am that idiot every time! lol
platinumki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sugarplumc)
Omg I've never heard of anyone who writes as much as I do! My record was my GCSE English lit paper where I wrote 24 sides in 2 hours 15mins (!) but I generally write about 6 sides for an hour long English essay now (I've been trying to reduce it). My teacher is always telling our class to make sure they spend 15 mins reading each poem before they start writing and not to be put off by the 'idiot' who starts writing after about 3 minutes- I am that idiot every time! lol
OK, OK... you win. Was that criticism then? (excuse my GCSE ignorance)
crana9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sugarplumc)
There's an argument here for quality vs. quantity...
coldfish
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah, but you can have lots of quality and not so much quality too. :P
sugarplumc
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by crana9)
There's an argument here for quality vs. quantity...
Well yes, there is that! I'm not sure exactly how much of it makes sense, but that's probably why I feel the need to write so much- cos probably only a quarter of it is actually any good. However, I did get full marks for that particular exam and a top 5 in the uk for it- my theory is that the examiner just didn't bother reading it all and gave me the benefit of the doubt!
I have reduced it lots now though, and it was a fluke that day.
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
BACK PREMATURELY

Just had my first exam and it was surprisingly yay ...not going to comment anymore and tempt fate!!

On the topic of the current disussion, sugarplumc I dounbt it was the case that the examiner got tired. You probably wrote masses of very good stuff. I'm like you in that I always have so much to say, even if the stuff is sometimes a bit, shall we say, eccentric!! One of my English teachers used to say that just because someone got full marks, doesn't mean the actually got full marks really. Person A could have gotten 105/105 and just got the 105, but you could have say merited 130, but they can't give you 130/105, they just have to give 105...if you get what I mean. Indeed, he probably realised half way through that you were on full marks and so didn't need to read the rest! So be proud, plus the top 5 thing (if its AQA) is worldwide, not just out of UK candidates, *heaves chest proudly* I speak from experience m'dear.

No-one's beaten MY record though, 26 sides in GCSE History!!!!!!! :eek: :cool:
White_redrose
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
^^^^ wow, 26 sides!!! Very impressive! I'm not known for being concise in exams either - I think the most I've written for one module/exam is 16ish sides, but that's nothing compared to yours!
beeblebrox87
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Argh, that further maths exam was unpleasant, had to leave a question blank. Glad to have it over though. 15 exams done, 1 to go.

How do all you people write so much? In essay exams I usually average about three sides per hour, and maybe 5 sides per hour in maths. I use eraseable pen so my mistakes don't take up any space. But even accounting for crossed out work, how on earth can you compose and write 10 sides (~3000 words) in an hour, and still have it well-structured, rational, and legible?
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
...it aint legible mate, i have gorgous handwriting normaly, but do hyroglyphics (sp) in exams . You can write that fast if you memerize your notes
beeblebrox87
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'M FREE!!!

Good luck on your exams, everybody who still has them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (36)
25.71%
No (104)
74.29%

Watched Threads