Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hehe noooo, exam timetable...There are no extra classes, though obviously I could ask questions if I wanted...

ReputationRep:
    Argh the fun of The AEAs.... I did 3. A friend of mine did 4...

ReputationRep:
    mine are all on the same day! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    Argh the fun of The AEAs.... I did 3. A friend of mine did 4...

What's the point of them? Do they make a difference when you apply anywhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by svidrigailov)
    What's the point of them? Do they make a difference when you apply anywhere?
    They can do; don't know how much you know about them, but they are meant for the top 10% or so of students, and are meant to show greater sophistication and understanding of the subject (same syllabus as the A Level, but bringing together all the concepts etc etc). A FEW offers are based on them. Pretty pointless in maths for Camb though for STEP is meant to catch the top 2% :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I was meant to do two, but one of them clashed with a trip to London to see a big furry monster, so just did the one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Raphael~)
    They can do; don't know how much you know about them, but they are meant for the top 10% or so of students, and are meant to show greater sophistication and understanding of the subject (same syllabus as the A Level, but bringing together all the concepts etc etc). A FEW offers are based on them. Pretty pointless in maths for Camb though for STEP is meant to catch the top 2% :rolleyes:

Haven't encountered them before at all; have heard the term bandied about. I suppose they're good as a way of showing up the defects of the present AS/A Level system.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't encountered them before at all; have heard the term bandied about. I suppose they're good as a way of showing up the defects of the present AS/A Level system.
    I'm guessing this one would be most relevant to you: http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/Da...u7a0UiDlfE.pdf

Grades are Distinction, Merit or Fail I think...They would certainly help to separate all the A-grade candidates but I'm not sure that they're THAT Advanced or Extended :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing this one would be most relevant to you: http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/Da...u7a0UiDlfE.pdf

Grades are Distinction, Merit or Fail I think...They would certainly help to separate all the A-grade candidates but I'm not sure that they're THAT Advanced or Extended :rolleyes:

Thanks. I've seen that passage of Seneca before actually: there are a few compound forms that would throw the less aware off, but apart from that it doesn't seem particularly challenging, especially as they appear to gloss every other word.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I've seen that passage of Seneca before actually: there are a few compound forms that would throw the less aware off, but apart from that it doesn't seem particularly challenging.
    Suspected as much

Just to be sure: http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/Da...feJZ5PfL4Z.pdf (the next relevant?)

ReputationRep:
    Heh. I failed Chem AEA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana9)
    Heh. I failed Chem AEA.
    Ouchy.

ReputationRep:
    Ouchy.
    I failed maths AND physics!!!

quite what this says about my ability in these subjects i'm not sure - i thought i'd done quite well on physics!!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when the STEP results are published?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Watch your STEP...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipGarsed)
    I failed maths AND physics!!!

quite what this says about my ability in these subjects i'm not sure - i thought i'd done quite well on physics!!
    Awwwww Ah well, you've an excuse - you're an MML-er!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael Mourao)
    Does anyone know when the STEP results are published?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Watch your STEP...
    I assumed you get the result at the same time as A Levels...Afterall, Cambridge need to know your STEP result in order to admit or reject you...

ReputationRep:
    I assumed you get the result at the same time as A Levels...Afterall, Cambridge need to know your STEP result in order to admit or reject you...
    yeah they do :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael Mourao)
    yeah they do :afraid:
    :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    You get STEPed on the same day as all you other a'level stuff. So yes, watch what you STEP onto, young man.

Oh... STEP was fun...

AEA was fun too. The year I did my Maths AEA, the paper was particularly nice. Thoroughly enjoyed those 3 hours . Last year's Chem was nice too, except for those who are good at maths.

ReputationRep:
    :bawling:
    No worries. Some mathsmo in Pembroke got a 3 on his 3rd STEP.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 13, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.