Report 14 years ago
Result day = 28th June.
French Pikachu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Mr.Dunc)
i'm a little late to this thread, but better late than never!

Engineering @ Sidney Sussex

Name: Duncan Scholtes
A levels: maths, further maths, physics and philosophy.

I need 3As and a B in Philosophy.

I live just inside the SW edge of Greater London, about a mile from Hampton Court Palace (sadly not IN the palace).

Hobbies include playing guitar (badly) and listening to music that makes me wish i could play guitar well. I'm a bit of Josh Homme fanatic, so if you hear any Queens of the stone age or Kyuss blaring out of a freshers room come October, that'll probably be me!

I also do Kyokushinkai Karate, was going to do my 4th Kyu this year but didnt manage to due to injury. If anyone else does karate it'd be cool to hear from them, so i have someone to train with.

You're all probably revising, but if you're anything like me you'll find places like this to be good for procrastination, so hopefully hear from some of you soon.

Welcome Duncan! I'm sorry the forum is a bit dead at the moment but that's coz most students are working for exams (or pretending too :p: ) or partying too much and really drunk post-exams! But if u come back in a few weeks time I'm sure u'll get to meet lovely people...dunno if u'll find anyone doing karate but at least u'll get to meet great engineers-to-be
By the way i would love to be ur partner for karate but i'm planning to begin it at CAm so dunno if we'll really be the same level :rolleyes: hehe
Good luck wiht exmas
Mr.Dunc
Report 14 years ago
well i'd be more than happy to train with anyone whos willing to put the effort in. Level is irrelavant, i'll probably have forgotten half my stuff anyway by October :rolleyes:

i don't know if theres a dojo in cambridge (anyone know?) so if there isn't we'd have to get a black belt whos actually allowed to teach.

only 2 weeks till the end of exams!!
Wasp39
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Engineering @ Sidney Sussex

Name: Duncan Scholtes
A levels: maths, further maths, physics and philosophy.

I need 3As and a B in Philosophy.

I live just inside the SW edge of Greater London, about a mile from Hampton Court Palace (sadly not IN the palace).

Hobbies include playing guitar (badly) and listening to music that makes me wish i could play guitar well. I'm a bit of Josh Homme fanatic, so if you hear any Queens of the stone age or Kyuss blaring out of a freshers room come October, that'll probably be me!

I also do Kyokushinkai Karate, was going to do my 4th Kyu this year but didnt manage to due to injury. If anyone else does karate it'd be cool to hear from them, so i have someone to train with.

You're all probably revising, but if you're anything like me you'll find places like this to be good for procrastination, so hopefully hear from some of you soon.
Hello fellow Engineer!!! If you can't be bothered reading through umpteen million pages of posts, I'm starting eNgineering at Clare in October (currently on a gap year atm). I can't play the guitar unfortunately, and I don't even know how to say Kyokushinka but it sounds interesting. (I wouldn't however appreciate a practical demonstration on my person). As French Pikachu says, everyone else is doing exams so it's not as lively as it has been. Good luck in your exams - don't envy you there, and [scrollup]GO AND DO SOME WORK[/scrollup] :p:
crana9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i don't know if theres a dojo in cambridge (anyone know?) so if there isn't we'd have to get a black belt whos actually allowed to teach.
mill lane. sell some damn fine noodles.
sugarplumc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
[I need 3As and a B in Philosophy.
Did they actually specify 4 grades? that's quite harsh!
I'm Clare and I'm going to Clare ( ) to do English in 2006- if I get my grades at least they only asked me for 3 though!
Mr.Dunc
Report 14 years ago
apparently its a new thing sidney sussex started doing a year or two back.

what was happening was that plenty of people were putting down 4 a levels on their UCAS form and then dropping the fourth if they got the offer.

Sidney was not happy and so started making 4 grade offers.
coldfish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
To be honest I don't think it'd be much easier if they'd just specified which three A's they'd wanted. I guess that most Cambridge offer-holders are perfectly capable of achieving a B on a subject without an incredible amount of work...
Mr.Dunc
Report 14 years ago
i agree, although it does add an extra level of unwelcome pressure.

just aiming for a B can get you a C if you're too apathetic. Of course that depends on the UMS u get at AS.
xx_ambellina_xx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by coldfish)
To be honest I don't think it'd be much easier if they'd just specified which three A's they'd wanted. I guess that most Cambridge offer-holders are perfectly capable of achieving a B on a subject without an incredible amount of work...
*sniffle*

I wish.
absentmindedone
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I got a 3 and a half grade offer (stupid AS). And it's that AS that I've screwed up. Why oh why did I decide to take further maths?
Calvin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sugarplumc)
Did they actually specify 4 grades? that's quite harsh!
I'm Clare and I'm going to Clare ( ) to do English in 2006- if I get my grades at least they only asked me for 3 though!
Woohoo! More Clareites. Been around the UCS forum?
Nice to meet you
sugarplumc
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Calvin)
Woohoo! More Clareites. Been around the UCS forum?
Nice to meet you
oh yes I have-it's great
I've posted loads on the prospective students forum-incessant questions about english and music!
nice to meet you too
Wasp39
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
oh yes I have-it's great
I've posted loads on the prospective students forum-incessant questions about english and music!
nice to meet you too
I'm guessing you're Tom?
sugarplumc
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PhilipGarsed)
I'm guessing you're Tom?
emmm no
funnily enough, im sugarplum on the UCS forum as well, and if you'd read the post above you would see that my first name is Clare, so Tom doesn't come into it at all! :confused:
Wasp39
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
emmm no
funnily enough, im sugarplum on the UCS forum as well, and if you'd read the post above you would see that my first name is Clare, so Tom doesn't come into it at all! :confused:
Sorry - I quoted the wrong person there! I knew who you were - I was actually referring to Calvin!
sugarplumc
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PhilipGarsed)
Sorry - I quoted the wrong person there! I knew who you were - I was actually referring to Calvin!
lol thats ok then- you had me really confused for a minute there!
Wasp39
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol thats ok then- you had me really confused for a minute there!
I like to keep people on their toes - So, can I call you Tom? :p:
Poc ar buile
Report 14 years ago
Hi, I'm Pól I'm not a new student, per se, though I will be a first year next year.. At Girton having another go at medicine.

Any prospective Girtonians looking for advice not contained in the prospectus are welcome to email me on [email protected]

From last year I know a lot of you will feel a bit scared and homesick when you arrive (I did and I'm 28!). After a few days of getting plastered at fresher's week activities, however, you will grow to love Cambridge and will end up feeling homesick again at Christmas when you have to go down!
Simone de Beauv
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by polthegael)
Hi, I'm Pól I'm not a new student, per se, though I will be a first year next year.. At Girton having another go at medicine.

Any prospective Girtonians looking for advice not contained in the prospectus are welcome to email me on [email protected]

From last year I know a lot of you will feel a bit scared and homesick when you arrive (I did and I'm 28!). After a few days of getting plastered at fresher's week activities, however, you will grow to love Cambridge and will end up feeling homesick again at Christmas when you have to go down!
I'm from Ireland too, wahay!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (36)
25.71%
No (104)
74.29%

Watched Threads