ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simone de Beauv)
    I'm from Ireland too, wahay!
    me too me too!!

ReputationRep:
    so am i!!

ReputationRep:
    me too!

Anyway, can anyone shed any light on the meaning of "Full Term". I got a letter from Fitz today with some accommodation info, reading list and the dates of Full Term. For Michaelmas it's apparently 4th October - 2nd December. So will Freshers' Week be the week before that or something?

Ah, I'm so confused. I looked it up on the Cambridge website and it said,
    "Full Term shall consist of three-fourths of the whole term reckoned from the first day of Full Term as hereinafter determined"
    So there you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipGarsed)
    I like to keep people on their toes -
    Sure u do ! How is work? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    me too!

Anyway, can anyone shed any light on the meaning of "Full Term". I got a letter from Fitz today with some accommodation info, reading list and the dates of Full Term. For Michaelmas it's apparently 4th October - 2nd December. So will Freshers' Week be the week before that or something?

"Full Term shall consist of three-fourths of the whole term reckoned from the first day of Full Term as hereinafter determined"
    So there you go.

Full term is when u have lectures so u have to be in uni i think... Anyway freshers week in CAm is more like a few freshers day from what i understood. We should arrive at Cam on the saturday 1st of ocotober and lectures start on the next thursday if i got everything people tried to explain to me

EDit: from Dwoning 's forum

"Here's the deal:

University dates:
    Full term: when you have to be in Cambridge.
    Starts on a Tues and lectures start 2 days later. Between the Tues and the Thurs you have a couple of days with Director of Studies / Tutor meetings and any other faff before teaching proper starts.

NPR ('Normal Period of Residence' I think) is when you can be resident in Downing.
    You don't have to arrive in Downing on the first day of NPR and leave on the last - generally people arrive on the Sat/Sun before full term starts. It can be nice to spend the time in Cambridge though, not having any work! "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    me too!

So there you go.
    No, freshers' week will start around the 4th - whatever date college tell you to arrive.

Don't worry about the term/full term stuff. It's not that important and highly, highly confusing. IIRC you have to be in residence for all of Full Term but you can use nights you stay in college that are in Term but not in Full Term to make up for them, that kind of thing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Ireland too, wahay!
    Cén áit as a dtagann tú? Is Aontromach mé, ach bhínn i mo chónaí ar fud na tíre (i ngach cúige!) i rith na blianta!

Cén coláiste san ollscoil ar a rachaidh tú, agus cén abhar ar a dhéanfaidh tú staidéar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by French Pikachu)
    We should arrive at Cam on the saturday 1st of ocotober and lectures start on the next thursday if i got everything people tried to explain to me "
    It differs between colleges...some will be on the Sunday, probably. Not everyone will be told to come on the 1st.

ReputationRep:
    lol very true But I mean I don't seem to have a northern irish accent which I don't really mind because I'm not too fond of that accent!
    :mad:

People from Belfast say I sound English and English people say I sound Irish..! I come from Antrim but have lived all over Ireland, in Southampton for half my life and in various other places..!

ReputationRep:
    Woo hello everyone, I'm back for a bit. There a few new faces here...

Anyway, I finished my exams aaages ago, and have been pretty... well... you know... since.

Well, now the tide has turned.

I have become an invigilator wooo!

It pays really well (Not that I will have any money left by the time I get to uni, oh well)

Well, I'm off again for a while. Have fun on this 'ere forum

Peas out!

ReputationRep:
    Chances are, I am going to miss the first few days of freshers week:'(

ReputationRep:
    Errm... that is likely to cause biiiiiiiiiiiiiig problems with Kings... have you talked to them about it?

ReputationRep:
    I'll know for sure in early July, I think.:s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    I'll know for sure in early July, I think.:s:
    Warum?

:eek: I've just passed 400 posts :eek: I'm now adored and respected

AREN'T I :mad: :p:

btw is there any way of changing my username to say just 'Philip' - my existing one identifies me a little to clearly for my liking - especially given the rareity of my Surname

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipGarsed)
    Warum?

:eek: I've just passed 400 posts :eek: I'm now adored and respected

AREN'T I :mad: :p:

btw is there any way of changing my username to say just 'Philip' - my existing one identifies me a little to clearly for my liking - especially given the rareity of my Surname
    WArum?

congrats:p: (you make me feel old:p: )

you can pm pig/rahaydenuk/A with a name change request- I'd suggest pig as he'll normally get on the case ASAP

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna go for a name change too, PM-ed Adhsur, but she isn't a mod anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I've just found out there's already a Philip - though' he's not been active for 16 months and only made one post :mad:. Do you reckon I could get him removed :s? Any other suggestions for names?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Cén áit as a dtagann tú? Is Aontromach mé, ach bhínn i mo chónaí ar fud na tíre (i ngach cúige!) i rith na blianta!

Cén coláiste san ollscoil ar a rachaidh tú, agus cén abhar ar a dhéanfaidh tú staidéar?
    awww i can't remember any of my Irish except the Hail Mary and a few random things! I do remember something about ta me i mo chonai i mBeal Feirste- does that mean I live in Belfast?! In the last bit did you ask what college we're going to and what to study?! lol I only did Irish for two years and then I moved schools where they didn't teach it!
    As for accents, I suppose it's a Belfast accent but it's not very broad. English people think I sound extremely Irish though, which I quite like

Philip- I'm feeling your pain- there already was a sugarplum in existence which is why I had to add on the stupid C, but then, since I'm tom now I suppose it doesn't really matter

ReputationRep:
    Living in Cambridge has a major benefit.

You can be sure those bangs are May Ball fireworks and not guns

(They're bloody annoying though. Shut up! I'm trying to do stuff!)

ETA: Just to make it crystal clear my comment has nothing to do with N. Ireland despite being in the middle of a discussion about Ireland.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 13, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.