The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

sugarplumc
awww :frown: i can't remember any of my Irish except the Hail Mary and a few random things! I do remember something about ta me i mo chonai i mBeal Feirste- does that mean I live in Belfast?! In the last bit did you ask what college we're going to and what to study?! lol I only did Irish for two years and then I moved schools where they didn't teach it! :frown:
As for accents, I suppose it's a Belfast accent but it's not very broad. English people think I sound extremely Irish though, which I quite like :smile:

I just asked where you come from, that I'm from Antrim but I have lived all over the country - in each province in fact! - over the years and I asked which college you'll be going to and which subject you'll be doing..

I've never studied Irish in school - half my primary and all my secondary education was in England. I did spend a year and a half in the Kerry Gaeltacht though..

I guess our accents are possible similiar then - I joke that it must be an Isle of Man one as I've spent about half my life in Ireland and half in England!

Yes, i no chónaí i mBéal Feirste does indeed mean "I live in Belfast" :wink:
Hm should I start speakin french or spanish then :biggrin: Anyone ready to start a convo in either language? :biggrin: :wink:

Btw isnt it actually forbidden by TSR to post in another language?
French Pikachu
Hm should I start speakin french or spanish then :biggrin: Anyone ready to start a convo in either language? :biggrin: :wink:

Je crois qu'il soit interdit, mais je m'en fous! J'habitais autrefois en Belgique (près de la frontière Luxembourgoise), donc je peux essayer de parler français avec toi.. :smile:

Malheureusement, il y a longtemps depuis que je suis retourné au monde anglophone donc j'en ai oublié :frown:

A probably meaningless attempt to remember some of my French..! :redface:
French Pikachu

who cares?
Camford
who cares?

Exactly Shuai, from what I can figure out Helen is our moderator and I can't see her deleting our posts without some better reason than them being in a language other than English.. :smile:
Yeah languages/accents are odd things, I waitress in a cool traditional Irish type of place, and last week a customer said to me "so are you missing home, how long are you staying here", and I was a bit confused (thinking he was just talking about my shift ending) and he kept going on and on about my "origins" until it finally came out that he thought I was from New Zealand... :rolleyes: (and I only realised when he started putting on a really awful accent to demonstrate!)
Reply 2466
I did work experience in this lab a few years ago and me and my friend were convinced this guy had an Aussie accent. So one day I asked him if he was from Australia and he looked at me oddly and said No I'm from birmingham.

Oops. :redface:
crana9
I did work experience in this lab a few years ago and me and my friend were convinced this guy had an Aussie accent. So one day I asked him if he was from Australia and he looked at me oddly and said No I'm from birmingham.

Oops. :redface:

that's brilliant! :biggrin:
JHutcher
other interests include... riding (horses, though rarely theses days)...

Ah well.. Jesus is the perfect college for you then.. Riding their horse is one of those things you just gotta do at Cambridge.. :biggrin:
Omg weird things happen to me all the time! I went to spain last summer for 3 weeks with an international organization. More exactly to Salamanca where there are hundreds of organizations organizing language courses... In my language school I met a french guy who lives about 2 hours from where i live, that was rather random in the first place. We talked a bit on msn in September and then completely lost contact. Tonight I was looking at all my contacts and his screen name said "@ SAn Diego". Since I'm leaving for San Diego this friday adn staying there 2 months for an intership, i started talking to him again... I just found out is gonna be there until the end of summer for an intership just like me! This is just so weird! There are hundreds of places to go and summer holidyas are long but no we'll be at the same place for the same lengh of time! This si so weird!
wow... Someone is tempering with fate :wink:.
Camford
wow... Someone is tempering with fate :wink:.

And it's really not the first time it happens to me!!!!! If u knew! For example I did Model United Nations at school and we get to go to this huge conference at the Hagues with 4000 kidsgoing, basically spread in commitees and then topics... 2 years ago I got to work on the same topic as a british guy who was at Bejing International School. We worked over the internet and i later met him at the conference and continued working with him. I have him as messenger contact as well so talk to him occasionally. Well when i was in Spain last summer I got to meet his twin! And then I met him as well! I didnt evne know he had a twin so it was really funny situation indeed especially sicne i was a bit drunk and I ahd no clue is was travelling over summer... anyway how random is that?! the guy lives in China and he was in Spain only for a week and it happens to be one of the week when i was there and the same city! Weird really...
Omg i cannot believe it another random thing happened to me just now! That girl, whom I met at the MUN conference this year, just started talking to me on msn. I really dont know her that well, couldnt even remember where she lived and handn't talked to her since the conference, in January. She lives in Brazil and I just found out she did the IB just like me and is going to uni in UK next year just like me... when i said i was hoping to go to Cambridge she said one of her friends got an offer there aswell:

Vanessa dit :
is ur firend going to Cam?
Silvia dit :
if he gets the grades then yes hehe
Silvia dit :
he wants to study Land economy or so he told me
Silvia dit :
and u
Vanessa dit :
noway
Vanessa dit :
me too
Silvia dit :
hahaha really??

How ****in strange!!!!!!!! There are only 40 of us for land economy every year! I'll finish of knowing a quarter of the people before getting to Cam...

EDIT: I just found out the guy also went to the same conference as me!
Reply 2473
I'd be thinking stalker, not strange.
crana9
I'd be thinking stalker, not strange.

Cant be coz:
1) never talked to that guy and in between 4000 poeple at the conference it's not surprising
2) never talked to anyone at the conference about going to Cam next year and anywxay the conference was in january so we already ahd our offers
3) never talked to any Cam offer holders about me going to that conference until the conference was over

Just a lot of coincidences and there are a few more...
Reply 2475
I meant you stalking him :wink:
um.... I look rather parculiar wearing a bowtie with my ... um... polo shirt ...
Reply 2477
Camford
um.... I look rather parculiar

We know. We just don't say anything so as not to hurt your feelings :wink:
Yay I'm finished!!!! It feels so surreal!
My last one was actually on Tuesday but I've been mostly drinking and sleeping since then so haven't looked at the computer. It's such a relief that they're over, even though they were mostly disastrous. I'm just going to enjoy the summer now. :smile:
crana9
We know. We just don't say anything so as not to hurt your feelings :wink:

Why are you always this mean to me? Why?