New Cambridge students October 2005: let's get to know each other!

Watch
xx_ambellina_xx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by French Pikachu)
hehe i guess it's a good thing we're gonna be studying artsy subjects and not sciency ones :p:
heh. if i've got the grades.

i don't think artsy subjects help my cause at all, to be honest. i'm still as blonde as blonde can be
xx_ambellina_xx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Btw y arent u out partying with the rest of the A levelers...
meh. tomorrow night everyone out of my friends is finished. tonight it's just a few. delayed party
French Pikachu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by xx_ambellina_xx)
heh. if i've got the grades.

i don't think artsy subjects help my cause at all, to be honest. i'm still as blonde as blonde can be
Sush dotn talk about grades :eek: * counts* *5days* *freaks out*

No, No, and No! Lets be positive, everythign is gonna be fine and we're all gonna make our grades
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by xx_ambellina_xx)
Why do they have programming languages? Why doesn't everything talk properly?
I'll treat that as a proper question: they have programming languages because natural language sentences are not `proper' enough for computers (which are very simple deterministic machines) to understand. When humans speak there are too many ambiguities, too much imprecise punctation and contextual information for computers to be able to determine the correct action. Even a simple sentence such as "they can fish" has multiple meanings.
Then there are also problems with the actual words, especially in a language with a fully productive derivational morphology there can be clashes of the derivation of words that can be unresolvable. An example of that could be `unionised' which could be decomposed into `un-ion-ised' or `union-ised', both are just as good as each other.

Basically I think the fault is actually with humans---they don't talk properly :p:. So maybe we shoould give up on English and start conversing in Java :rolleyes:.

A.
crana9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
am I the only freaky person who wants to introduce algebraic symbols into speech and writing to make things less ambiguous?

My big one is the use of brackets, not to denote a sidenote, but to group the texts into units to which the same operator applies.

E.g. Fruit must be freshly picked and washed. (crap example)

does the "freshly" apply to picked and washed, or just to picked?

in Rosie-speak you would say "Fruit must be freshly (picked and washed)" for the first scenario and you would say it normally for the 2nd scenario.

I haven't figured out how to represent the brackets as speech. I'm in favour of introducing a click like found in some African languages.
crana9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
on second thoughts I'd make it curly brackets. they don't get enough use.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by crana9)
am I the only freaky person who wants to introduce algebraic symbols into speech and writing to make things less ambiguous?

My big one is the use of brackets, not to denote a sidenote, but to group the texts into units to which the same operator applies.

E.g. Fruit must be freshly picked and washed. (crap example)

does the "freshly" apply to picked and washed, or just to picked?

in Rosie-speak you would say "Fruit must be freshly (picked and washed)" for the first scenario and you would say it normally for the 2nd scenario.

I haven't figured out how to represent the brackets as speech. I'm in favour of introducing a click like found in some African languages.
Nah, you're not, I think it'd be a good idea!

A.
crana9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
have you got any other ones taht would be good?
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
have you got any other ones taht would be good?
It's not really from programming, but I use quantifiers when writing notes for myself (`for all' and `there exists') and a logical negation operator would be good shorthand.

Throwing set theory and (options or wildcards) at natural language is also good "I'll eat x iff ( x is a member of the set of fruits && x != (tomato|banana) )".

Just because of the way I think I reckon it'd be cool to have alternate expressions that are nullified or read as appropriate throughout an entire section.
Such as, crap example: "I'm going to the beach if it's sunny (else the museum), I'll try not to get burnt (there's a new exhibit open) and I'll be back about 9pm (5pm, do you want dinner afterwards?).
That's mainly because I get impatient reading all of one case and waiting for the other, which I don't do when I think so my paragraphs end up a huge mess of ifs, elses and refering back to conditions :rolleyes:.

Hmmm, don't think anyone is going to like these modifications any time soon though!

A.
crana9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I would abolish the use of former and latter as I always have to stop and go back and check which one is the former and which one is the latter.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I would abolish the use of former and latter as I always have to stop and go back and check which one is the former and which one is the latter.
Yeah that's a good one, I do the same!

A.
Camford
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by coldfish)
Nah, he's not confusing you because you're blonde. You're getting confused because you're blonde. :P

Java and Linux are programming languages.
*is biluingal - I speak geek*
Dude. Linux is an OS.
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Freelancer!! 6 hours of it... dude... I'll never be able to prgram again.

People should speak ML.
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm so blonde that all computers break and crash very badly whenever i use them! But tbh i think that i also have bad luck coz i manage to crash a computer not even using internet but Word
You don't have to be blonde to do that... /me coughs... ahem

And Pikachu, I did pick up that vocab at A Level...sorry Camfo...'twas tres mean...but Camford's a nice bloke, he won't mind...(that's if he understands - the philistine
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes I would too...gah so confusing :mad:
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by minimo)
You don't have to be blonde to do that... /me coughs... ahem

And Pikachu, I did pick up that vocab at A Level...sorry Camfo...'twas tres mean...but Camford's a nice bloke, he won't mind...(that's if he understands - the philistine
We say "bloody microsoft" in the trade.

Patche: a quote from someone in Cambridge... "It's like a muel attempting to call a donkey an ass."
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
Dude. Linux is an OS.
Dude, Linux is the kernel, is it not?
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
Dude, Linux is the kernel, is it not?
the kernel is a part of an OS, an OS usually has other components to it that run in the user mode. In fact linux pushes quite a few components out into the user area, for modularity and extensibility reasons, but this leads to IPC problems making linux slower than windows when running heavily in demand!
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
oooh cheers for that

/me needs to know more, especially before camfo cba to send him SuSe

congrats btw
coldfish
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I never said I spoke good geek, just enough that if ever you hear the word "Linux" and "Microsoft" in the same sentence it's time to leave the conversation for a few hours.
And I used to speak C# a little bit... or is it C++, or is one a subsidiary of the other, or did I make both up? :/

anyways. ;p
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (162)
24.77%
Better than expected (132)
20.18%
Worse than expected (360)
55.05%

Watched Threads