Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by French Pikachu)
    hehe i guess it's a good thing we're gonna be studying artsy subjects and not sciency ones :p:
    heh. if i've got the grades.

i don't think artsy subjects help my cause at all, to be honest. i'm still as blonde as blonde can be

ReputationRep:
    Btw y arent u out partying with the rest of the A levelers...
    meh. tomorrow night everyone out of my friends is finished. tonight it's just a few. delayed party

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx_ambellina_xx)
    heh. if i've got the grades.

i don't think artsy subjects help my cause at all, to be honest. i'm still as blonde as blonde can be
    Sush dotn talk about grades :eek: * counts* *5days* *freaks out*

No, No, and No! Lets be positive, everythign is gonna be fine and we're all gonna make our grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx_ambellina_xx)
    Why do they have programming languages? Why doesn't everything talk properly?
    I'll treat that as a proper question: they have programming languages because natural language sentences are not `proper' enough for computers (which are very simple deterministic machines) to understand. When humans speak there are too many ambiguities, too much imprecise punctation and contextual information for computers to be able to determine the correct action. Even a simple sentence such as "they can fish" has multiple meanings.
    Then there are also problems with the actual words, especially in a language with a fully productive derivational morphology there can be clashes of the derivation of words that can be unresolvable. An example of that could be `unionised' which could be decomposed into `un-ion-ised' or `union-ised', both are just as good as each other.

Basically I think the fault is actually with humans---they don't talk properly :p:. So maybe we shoould give up on English and start conversing in Java :rolleyes:.

A.

ReputationRep:
    am I the only freaky person who wants to introduce algebraic symbols into speech and writing to make things less ambiguous?

My big one is the use of brackets, not to denote a sidenote, but to group the texts into units to which the same operator applies.

E.g. Fruit must be freshly picked and washed. (crap example)

does the "freshly" apply to picked and washed, or just to picked?

in Rosie-speak you would say "Fruit must be freshly (picked and washed)" for the first scenario and you would say it normally for the 2nd scenario.

I haven't figured out how to represent the brackets as speech. I'm in favour of introducing a click like found in some African languages.

ReputationRep:
    on second thoughts I'd make it curly brackets. they don't get enough use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana9)
    am I the only freaky person who wants to introduce algebraic symbols into speech and writing to make things less ambiguous?

My big one is the use of brackets, not to denote a sidenote, but to group the texts into units to which the same operator applies.

E.g. Fruit must be freshly picked and washed. (crap example)

does the "freshly" apply to picked and washed, or just to picked?

in Rosie-speak you would say "Fruit must be freshly (picked and washed)" for the first scenario and you would say it normally for the 2nd scenario.

I haven't figured out how to represent the brackets as speech. I'm in favour of introducing a click like found in some African languages.
    Nah, you're not, I think it'd be a good idea!

A.

ReputationRep:
    have you got any other ones taht would be good?

ReputationRep:
    have you got any other ones taht would be good?
    It's not really from programming, but I use quantifiers when writing notes for myself (`for all' and `there exists') and a logical negation operator would be good shorthand.

Throwing set theory and (options or wildcards) at natural language is also good "I'll eat x iff ( x is a member of the set of fruits && x != (tomato|banana) )".

Just because of the way I think I reckon it'd be cool to have alternate expressions that are nullified or read as appropriate throughout an entire section.
    Such as, crap example: "I'm going to the beach if it's sunny (else the museum), I'll try not to get burnt (there's a new exhibit open) and I'll be back about 9pm (5pm, do you want dinner afterwards?).
    That's mainly because I get impatient reading all of one case and waiting for the other, which I don't do when I think so my paragraphs end up a huge mess of ifs, elses and refering back to conditions :rolleyes:.

Hmmm, don't think anyone is going to like these modifications any time soon though!

A.

ReputationRep:
    I would abolish the use of former and latter as I always have to stop and go back and check which one is the former and which one is the latter.

ReputationRep:
    I would abolish the use of former and latter as I always have to stop and go back and check which one is the former and which one is the latter.
    Yeah that's a good one, I do the same!

A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldfish)
    Nah, he's not confusing you because you're blonde. You're getting confused because you're blonde. :P

Java and Linux are programming languages.
    *is biluingal - I speak geek*
    Dude. Linux is an OS.

ReputationRep:
    Freelancer!! 6 hours of it... dude... I'll never be able to prgram again.

People should speak ML.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so blonde that all computers break and crash very badly whenever i use them! But tbh i think that i also have bad luck coz i manage to crash a computer not even using internet but Word
    You don't have to be blonde to do that... /me coughs... ahem

And Pikachu, I did pick up that vocab at A Level...sorry Camfo...'twas tres mean...but Camford's a nice bloke, he won't mind...(that's if he understands - the philistine

ReputationRep:
    Yes I would too...gah so confusing :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    You don't have to be blonde to do that... /me coughs... ahem

And Pikachu, I did pick up that vocab at A Level...sorry Camfo...'twas tres mean...but Camford's a nice bloke, he won't mind...(that's if he understands - the philistine
    We say "bloody microsoft" in the trade.

Patche: a quote from someone in Cambridge... "It's like a muel attempting to call a donkey an ass."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    Dude. Linux is an OS.
    Dude, Linux is the kernel, is it not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Dude, Linux is the kernel, is it not?
    the kernel is a part of an OS, an OS usually has other components to it that run in the user mode. In fact linux pushes quite a few components out into the user area, for modularity and extensibility reasons, but this leads to IPC problems making linux slower than windows when running heavily in demand!

ReputationRep:
    oooh cheers for that

/me needs to know more, especially before camfo cba to send him SuSe

congrats btw

ReputationRep:
    I never said I spoke good geek, just enough that if ever you hear the word "Linux" and "Microsoft" in the same sentence it's time to leave the conversation for a few hours.
    And I used to speak C# a little bit... or is it C++, or is one a subsidiary of the other, or did I make both up? :/

anyways. ;p

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 13, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.