The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

visesh
oooh cheers for that:biggrin:

/me needs to know more, especially before camfo cba to send him SuSe:biggrin:

congrats btw:wink:

The OS supervisor I had was blatantly *****.
Reply 2661
Camford
Dude. Linux is an OS.

I thought that. But I thought I better not say anything.
crana9
I thought that. But I thought I better not say anything.

Living next door to a compsci has rubbed something off on you.
Reply 2663
Camford

but rubbed less than you had hoped....:frown:
Reply 2664
Camford

I knew it already dumbass.

And - you are one incredibly lucky dumbass. I'm happy for you but also jealous!
Camford

Two male threesome, or just Shuai not having perfect idiomatic English...?

:p:
{those who do not speak geek may safely ignore the following post}
Willa
the kernel is a part of an OS, an OS usually has other components to it that run in the user mode. In fact linux pushes quite a few components out into the user area, for modularity and extensibility reasons, but this leads to IPC problems making linux slower than windows when running heavily in demand!

Actually Linux puts relatively few things in userspace compared to microkernel systems like Mach or QNX (which are used in hospital systems etc where any crash or error would be catastrophic). And having things like graphics in userspace the way Linux (and most other Unix systems) does allows much greater flexibility (let users choose what's best for them) and fewer problems with trying to get a huge mess of code to work together (resulting in greater stability).

The concept of an "operating system" is not very well defined, some would argue that an operating system includes e.g. the web browser, while others would argue that anything in userspace is simply an external program running on the OS. At any rate, the usual convention is that "Linux" or "GNU/Linux" is an OS. It most certainly is not a programming language.
Reply 2667
yes i agree linux isnt a true microkernel, but it still does push quite a few components out into the user space which makes things run slower with the whole IPC issue!

I know what I'm talking about, :p:
Reply 2668
Yaaar. Mac OS X is the only true consumer OS. Yaaar.

Looks nice, works well, now actually has native programs and not ****** X11 ports, doesn't crash, and lets the UNIX geeks hack attack it and make it run on their toaster. OK that last bit's a lie. I'm sure if you put a PPC in your toaster you could make a little bit of darwin write "hi europe" on your bread or something, though.

</flame&out-of-depthnessimitudeness>

Oh, and BTW (just joined recently... etc):
and I'm hoping that the exams went well enough that this isn't a chicken that may or may not hatch and thus why am I counting it? for it is there?

PETERHOUSE: ENGINEERING 2005 yarr

Offer: AAA (maths physics chemistry) and STEP 1 maths at grade 2.

Yarr.

</pirate>
We really need to curb the nerds... so start with me first.
Steveee
PETERHOUSE: ENGINEERING 2005 yarr

Offer: AAA (maths physics chemistry) and STEP 1 maths at grade 2.

Yarr.

</pirate>

What's the point of asking for a 2 in STEP I? :wtf?:
Reply 2671
GeeK Invasion... :eek: :rolleyes:

:p:
Reply 2672
wooo parents coming for a week tomorrow!
Reply 2673
Willa
yes i agree linux isnt a true microkernel, but it still does push quite a few components out into the user space which makes things run slower with the whole IPC issue!

I know what I'm talking about, :p:

Such as?

A.
Alaric
Such as?

A.

Now you are just being harsh.
Reply 2675
Alaric
Such as?

A.

hey, piss off, i've done my exam, it doesnt matter to me any more...all i know is there was a nice pretty diagram in our notes of servers in the user area rather than in the kernel!
wow what is this invasion? It scared all the nice artsy people away :eek: :wink:
i scared. very.
STEP is over! I'm FREEEEEEEEE!!!
French Pikachu
wow what is this invasion? It scared all the nice artsy people away :eek: :wink:

hehe. I didn't get a word of that convo! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending