New Cambridge students October 2005: let's get to know each other! Watch

Camford
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Dear Lordies (tm) Please stop littering my LCD with Smiley Pollution.

I'm on the 3rd book at the moment. Lying in my bed uncomfortably listening to Mr Fry reading it. What more can a lonely compsci ask for?

Matrices... ^o) didn't know you need those nasty buggers for economics. Do you have to do transfiguration on shapes in 3d space?
khil
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Camford)

I'm on the 3rd book at the moment. Lying in my bed uncomfortably listening to Mr Fry reading it. What more can a lonely compsci ask for?

Matrices... ^o) didn't know you need those nasty buggers for economics. Do you have to do transfiguration on shapes in 3d space?
:eviltongu Smilies are nice! Nice smilies!

Actually how do you get that "hide/show" thing in your sig? I wanna do that cus I want a smaller sig but don't wanna delete the stuff. And if I can hide/show it then there'll be some 5 or more smilies gone per post I make

Why don't you read the book instead? Reading is so relaxing I love reading! And the Prisoner of Azkaban is GREAT! My favourite out of the first four (cus I'd stopped reading HP after Goblet of Fire) - Azkaban is really cool, although I only vaguely remember it now I read it back when I was in yr9.
robs
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
name: Ruoyang Robbie LI
subject: mml (french+german ab initio)+linguistics
college: trinity
a levels: biology, chemistry, french, maths, german(as)
offer: a(french)aa

hello everybody, i am from china mainland, a city named shenzhen just above hk on the map. i was born in beijing, the capital of china. i studied my a levels in england for 2 years and am looking forward to my university life. i like classical music, choral music and opera.
hope to know you soon.
robbie
minimo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Nope, don't think so, but I've only started a couple of weeks ago...
name: Ruoyang Robbie LI
subject: mml (french+german ab initio)+linguistics
college: trinity
a levels: biology, chemistry, french, maths, german(as)
offer: a(french)aa

hello everybody, i am from china mainland, a city named shenzhen just above hk on the map. i was born in beijing, the capital of china. i studied my a levels in england for 2 years and am looking forward to my university life. i like classical music, choral music and opera.
hope to know you soon.
robbie
Hey! I'm off to Trinity too (grades permitting)! Camford is Chinese as well...and there seem to be a fair few Chinese going off to Trinity...
EDIT: Just realised we share the same music tastes!
robs
Report 14 years ago
Hey! I'm off to Trinity too (grades permitting)! Camford is Chinese as well...and there seem to be a fair few Chinese going off to Trinity...
EDIT: Just realised we share the same music tastes! [/QUOTE]

hi minimo, nice to see you here.
oh i thought there were very few chinese students in trinity. i have some friends already studying in cambridge but none of them are in trinity, and i didnt go check out the jcr the night before my interview, obviously too nervous for my interview the next day.

speaking of choral music, i also sing as the first tenor in the school chapel choir. i have fallen in love with opera quite recently and have been obsessively learning italian to compensate for my ignorance of the opera libretti. i also play the piano and am heading for the audition for the musical award at the end of september if i can meet the offer.

robs
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You must have been out of your mind, robs. Not many chinese people in Trinity? You must be joking. I'm sure you'll meet plenty. You'll be surprised by the population from Shenzhen as well... But, I doubt there are many doing your subject though.
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Damn it! HP is far too addictive for my own good... far too addictive far too bad for my own good... they should have blasted Ron's rat into pieces when they had the chance. darn it!
xyro
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Trinity, as is Cambridge, is pretty much loaded with Chinese people! (and I hope to be able to strenghten this quota further *g)

wtf Camfo, you have Mr. Fry read HP to you?
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Damn it! HP is far too addictive for my own good... far too addictive far too bad for my own good... they should have blasted Ron's rat into pieces when they had the chance. darn it!
Heehee, what did I tell you, HP is :cool: !!
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Robs - Cool! I'm a soprano, hopefully I'll join the Trinity Singers.
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
damn i wish i could sing... but i love classical, and choral!
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Trinity Singers is non-audition, so it doesn't really matter if you're not Pavarotti! So come along.
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Right. on to the 4th book then. Listening to audio books is much more involving than reading the book myself. Instead having to imagine what each character sounds like myself, Mr Fry et. al. (if there is an et. al) have already decided for me.

Books have more info than those HP films. How could they have taken the firebolt out in the 3rd film?
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Books are always better!
trachea
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by minimo)
I'm working through the maths I need for my course, bought the textbooks.
ok now u r scaring me, by maths do u mean one of the 5 part I papers e.g. quantitative methods etc. i.e. a reading list. Or do u mean a level modules. If it is the latter which ones r u doing. I did p1, p2, p3, p4, m1, m2, s1, s2, d1. Which ones did u do and which ones extra would u recommend. I assume s3, s4, p5 and p6. I cant even contemplate doing some reading at this point unless its something on the reading list for the politics or histroy papers.
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Bit busy at the mo, will PM you with the details tomorrow.
beeblebrox87
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yay, the thread has awoken once more! I've been travelling in the states and therefore haven't been able to post much. In San Diego now, nice although rather hot.

Has everybody here finished Half-Blood Prince already? It was a very good read though I didn't like the end very much.

FrenchPikachu/Vanessa, see you this afternoon.
crana9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by minimo)
Books are always better!
I really like audio books. I listen to them in the car.. Angela's Ashes was really good, because it was read by the author so he does all the voices and has the accent etc.. it made it come to life a lot more.
beeblebrox87
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by crana9)
I really like audio books. I listen to them in the car.. Angela's Ashes was really good, because it was read by the author so he does all the voices and has the accent etc.. it made it come to life a lot more.
The Angela's Ashes audiobook was good, but it seems more the exception than the rule to me. The Harry Potter audiobooks in particular have a tendency to put one to sleep (things which on paper seem suspenseful, when heard just seem slow, and all the voices start to sound a bit too similar after a while). Also, I like to be able to read lines twice and think about their implications when reading fiction, and audiobooks make that almost impossible. Still, they can be useful for long car rides.
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Audio Books are good for the blind
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (9)
64.29%
No I haven't decided yet (3)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (2)
14.29%

Watched Threads