Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beeblebrox87)
    The Angela's Ashes audiobook was good, but it seems more the exception than the rule to me. The Harry Potter audiobooks in particular have a tendency to put one to sleep (things on paper seem suspenseful, when heard just seem slow, and all the voices start to sound a bit too similar after a while). Also, I like to be able to read lines twice and think about their implications when reading fiction, and audiobooks make that almost impossible. Still, they can be useful for long car rides.
    how's starbucks?:p:

ReputationRep:
    Angela's Ashes... "what has Euclid got to do with it when the Germans are bombing everything flat?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JHutcher)
    Audio Books are good for the blind
    How..............insightful.

Beeblebrox - I agree, they each have their own merits. I mainly just use audiobooks when driving/doing something menial/going to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    how's starbucks?:p:
    Quite nice. I'm fairly certain that this single Starbucks has more internet bandwidth that the whole city of Arusha, Tanzania (population ~ 250 000) where I live.

ReputationRep:
    awesome:eek:

ReputationRep:
    I should go to starbucks with my laptop on a regular basis.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.mugglenet.com/misc/rosmertas/index.shtml
    Why don't they have the Firewhisky receipe? :vmad:

ReputationRep:
    This has quite possibly got to be the most useless Oxbridge admissions profiles ever...and (grades permitting :rolleyes: ) this person may well be my supe. partner next year. :>.<:

http://www.oxbridge-admissions.org.u...ow.php?id=1226

EDIT:
    I take that back...this one is worse...

http://www.oxbridge-admissions.org.u...ow.php?id=1209

ReputationRep:
    Downing rejected me... They can't afford to take any students who missed their grades no matter how little they missed their grade by since they were largely oversubscribed this year... I'm in the summer pool but I don't expect much. It's so awful, I feel horrible, especailly since I'm alone here in San Diego... my mum just told me by email and now i gotta stay all day at work... I wish I had been rejected in the first place or that my offer would have been really taugh because at least i wouldnt have gotten my hopes up... I'm so pissed for the day i took my economics exam coz if only i had been in good shape that day I'm sure i wouldnt have messed up that paper that got me a 6 instead of a 7, I saw the breakdown and the 2 papers i took that day are absolutely awful whereas the others are amazing... I can't believe it and now i really know i might go to Leeds and it's so scarry... I dont know anyone there and people on the subforum are really not friendly or helpful and i might not have accomodation because i missed the dead line.
    Oki i think I'm gonna stop now or else i might write pages and pages... I'm sorry to write this here and get all of you in my problems but none of my friends are online and i feel so isolated here...

EDIT: My mum just sent me the letter and the admission tutor wrote by hand... the fact that he wrote by hand just made me cry so hard, it's so much more familiar like i was meant to go there... I would have loved it so much there, i really was ready to work hard...

ReputationRep:
    Awww honey, I'm so sorry, please don't give up hope - you're a great candidate and a great person. Best of luck in the summer pool. We're all here for you and thinking of you. Anyone could be in your shoes right now. Take care sweety and stick in there.

Love,
    Mini.

ReputationRep:
    Awwwwww, that's such a shame!!!! I can understand you must be devastated but I'm sure there is no need to give up hope just yet. That is what the summer pool is for. If you don't quite make it, remember how amazingly intelligent you are - you'll thrive wherever you go.

ReputationRep:
    oh dear! Well you never know, you might be one of the lucky ones who gets taken out of the pool! Especially if they are aware of your breakdown, which makes it clear you just had a bad day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    oh dear! Well you never know, you might be one of the lucky ones who gets taken out of the pool! Especially if they are aware of your breakdown, which makes it clear you just had a bad day!
    They dont get the breakdown but i think i might send it to them even if the letter is very clear, Downing cant take me... This letter written by hand is so heart breaking... I keep crying when i see it... I wish there were retakes with IB...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by French Pikachu)
    They dont get the breakdown but i think i might send it to them even if the letter is very clear, Downing cant take me... This letter written by hand is so heart breaking... I keep crying when i see it... I wish there were retakes with IB...
    Gosh, I really feel sorry for you. I was pooled and rejected twice and it's such a horrible feeling so I can empathise. The only thing to do is to try to keep your head up in such a situation. Cambridge is a lovely place and academically brilliant but soon you will realise that it is not the only place you will be happy and it is not the only place where you can achieve your academic potential. I am very sorry though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)
    Gosh, I really feel sorry for you. I was pooled and rejected twice and it's such a horrible feeling so I can empathise. The only thing to do is to try to keep your head up in such a situation. Cambridge is a lovely place and academically brilliant but soon you will realise that it is not the only place you will be happy and it is not the only place where you can achieve your academic potential. I am very sorry though.
    Thanks, it really made me feel better In fact thx to everyone for the support, ur guys are great!

ReputationRep:
    Awww, so sorry, that's really a shame. Good luck with the summer pool, and don't give up hope, you certainly deserve to get in. I'm sure you'll do great wherever you end up.

ReputationRep:
    Would you ever consider reapplying?

ReputationRep:
    my advice is to get it remarked.

a friend of mine at selwyn was on his way to st. andrews when the exam board rang him up to tell him that they had actually forgotten to mark one of his papers. also exam boards tend to find extra marks from somewhere when they get remarked.

ReputationRep:
    I can tell how much you wanted this pika... maybe more than most of us. But hang in there. You deserve the best wherever u go. U're a great girl and I really hope u achieve great things in your life and be happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherub)
    my advice is to get it remarked.

a friend of mine at selwyn was on his way to st. andrews when the exam board rang him up to tell him that they had actually forgotten to mark one of his papers. also exam boards tend to find extra marks from somewhere when they get remarked.
    I am asking for a remark btu dont know when it'll come... plus i saw by break down and the 2 papers i ****ed up, which are worth 20% each are really bad! But one surprises me coz i thoguht i'd done good... anyway the points is they ahve to find a lots of marks...

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.