New Cambridge students October 2005: let's get to know each other! Watch

sugarplumc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
oh I forgot to introduce myself...............if anyone cares!
I'm 18, I'm from Northern Ireland (hello hitchhiker13!) and I originally applied for 2005 entry at Clare College to read English. But I also auditioned for music colleges (I play french horn) and I couldn't decide where to go so now Cambridge have allowed me to change to deferred entry and I'm going to Guildhall in London for a year! I'm very excited about it!
So anyway, I do lots and lots of music: I'm in about a million orchestras and a few bands and choirs and things, oh, and an irish trad group (I play tin whistle!) I play the piano shockingly badly as well. I like all kinds of music but mainly classical. I read every spare moment I have (which isnt much these days) and thats about it! I've been immersing myself in Irish writers recently, and am fighting my way through Ulysses- I know more than half of it is going right over my head! I've also just finished The Odyssey, and am about to begin The Iliad, cos Cambridge sent me out a reading list consisting almost entirely of classical literature and I realised I haven't read any.
This year I'm doing A levels in English, History and German, and both AS and A2 Music- I did AS Biology last year cos they couldn't fit Music in on my timetable!
I absolutely hate school at the moment and cannot wait to leave.......
I'm not sure how to describe myself really- I'm 5'7 with grey eyes and reddish-brown hair and the most Irishest skin u ever saw- very white and freckly!
Looking forward to seeing you all in 2006!
xx_ambellina_xx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i'll be 18 something like 3 weeks before descending upon cam hehe...i'm sure the novelty of drinking won't have worn off just yet by then. and all those people complaining about exams on their half birthdays, stoppit! at least you HAVE a half birthday this year
TakemetoAvalon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by xx_ambellina_xx)
i'll be 18 something like 3 weeks before descending upon cam hehe...i'm sure the novelty of drinking won't have worn off just yet by then. and all those people complaining about exams on their half birthdays, stoppit! at least you HAVE a half birthday this year
Yeah, and at least you lot don't often get Exams on your REAL birthday like I do! :mad:
xx_ambellina_xx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol thankfully because i'm late august i don't get exams on my real birthday at all, however if i fail my a-levels this year i can see an unpleasant 18th occuring!
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I was 17 until a few months into my Gap Year. Now THAT sucks.
xx_ambellina_xx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol! that's a bit rubbish isn't it? is that why you took a gap year?
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by xx_ambellina_xx)
lol! that's a bit rubbish isn't it? is that why you took a gap year?
One of the reasons
xx_ambellina_xx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol i'm so lucky then...3 days and i would be in a very similar situation...hehe thank god for 10 week prematureness and impatience
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sugarplumc)
oh I forgot to introduce myself...............if anyone cares!
I'm 18, I'm from Northern Ireland (hello hitchhiker13!)

Hey sugarplum - we Northern Irelanders should stick together!
I'm from Derry myself, what about you?

PS Know what you mean about that damn Irish skin - never tans, just freckles!
fire-faery
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TakemetoAvalon)
Yeah, and at least you lot don't often get Exams on your REAL birthday like I do! :mad:
me too :hmpf: it's the music listening, which turns out to be worth 20% of the entire a level and i detest it. my birthday used to be the last day of term - now THAT was fun - until the 9-week summer holiday of the glory days disappeared. *sigh*
TakemetoAvalon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by fire-faery)
me too :hmpf: it's the music listening, which turns out to be worth 20% of the entire a level and i detest it. my birthday used to be the last day of term - now THAT was fun - until the 9-week summer holiday of the glory days disappeared. *sigh*
I had my English exam on my birthday last year. Now that was a ****eroonie! I suppose I shouldn't complain because I got an A though... although at the time I thought I'd failed it! :rolleyes:
khil
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by French Pikachu)
It's Iris's fault! She's is the one who started with her smiley madness and then Avallon followed and so logically Pikachu followed in this direction too.... But I'll calm down if needed... But just remember that Iris is unfortunately not going to Cambridge, so in the future she'll probably ditch us and u would probably only have to bare with me and Avallon... Does that make u feel better? :confused:
HEEEELLLLLLOOOOOOO!!!!! :marchmell

Hehe my hyperactiveness is contagious, I see! lol you *are* rather hyperactive now I know what it's like to have a hyperactive person on the board - it's fun! Hey you never know *maybe* I'll find a college at Cambridge and come for a year Well I'm looking at Art Foundation courses and my parents suggested Cambridge :p: and seeing as I still adore Cambridge I might just do that! - then apply to Oxford or UCL :rolleyes: I'm just wondering how on earth I'm supposed to sort out loans etc :confused: with college and stuff cus UCAS says you can take out student loans for uni or college... I *might* just switch from Pathobiology to Art at Reading instead - that way I don't get the fees and the hassle, but I'd really rather apply again to unis I wanna go to Should've applied for Art in the first place

Or alternatively I might go for Neuroscience at Nottingham

Hehe I am VERY confused :marchmell

And *grins* no you guys aren't gonna get rid of me that easily! I'll be stuck here for a while yet :marchmell although I do wanna cut back my net time for work or I'm reeeeally gonna fail all my A-Levels! :eek:
sugarplumc
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
Hey sugarplum - we Northern Irelanders should stick together!
I'm from Derry myself, what about you?

PS Know what you mean about that damn Irish skin - never tans, just freckles!
oh I'm from Belfast (surprise surprise!)
I'm called Clare by the way
Simone de Beauv
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm from N.Ireland too! Have an offer to read SPS at Corpus Christi, can't wait to leave NI, absolutely hate it! :hmpf:
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Simone de Beauv)
I'm from N.Ireland too! Have an offer to read SPS at Corpus Christi, can't wait to leave NI, absolutely hate it! :hmpf:
Why?
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Not sure how i am going to cope with the accents... my own London/Essex is pretty much all i ever encounter.
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
accents arent really a problem...i'm a londoner too and most people seem to develop a sort of "cambridge" accent....except the irish who always sound drunk :p:
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Willa)
accents arent really a problem...i'm a londoner too and most people seem to develop a sort of "cambridge" accent....except the irish who always sound drunk :p:
Pol is your typical example.
sugarplumc
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Simone de Beauv)
Hey, its not that bad!
Where are u from anyway?
To whoever said the Irish always sound drunk- thats probably because they always are drunk! :p:
killermonkeys
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Willa)
When I'm drunk I sound scottish. I didn't know until I was drunk around some scots in a hostel in san francisco and they told me. A bit strange since the rest of the time I have a southern (american) accent...

Now I'm afraid to get drunk in Britain for fear of being beaten for doing a terrible, continuous scottish impression...

I'm also depressingly older than all you youngin's. I should be out of school by now and I haven't even begun!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.29%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.92%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.79%

Watched Threads