New Cambridge students October 2005: let's get to know each other! Watch

Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
if you're a brit it's gonna be a big shock to you to see us little 18 year olds or so getting pissed out of our minds......all my american friends are bemused as to why we havent all died of liver failure!
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Willa)
accents arent really a problem...i'm a londoner too and most people seem to develop a sort of "cambridge" accent....except the irish who always sound drunk :p:
My mum doesn't like my "plummy Cambridge accent"!
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Do people's accents really change noticably at 18+ from 24 weeks of Cambridge exposure?!?!
killermonkeys
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Willa)
if you're a brit it's gonna be a big shock to you to see us little 18 year olds or so getting pissed out of our minds......all my american friends are bemused as to why we havent all died of liver failure!
Actually I suspect that its more fun when you aren't allowed to drink. You have to work harder and thus get more drunk when you drink (going to keggers and smuggling alcohol out of the stores). I have to say I was quite jealous that the rest of the world was drinking before me, but then I'd hate to imagine if I was over there when I was 18, I don't think I would have actually survived.
Camford
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by killermonkeys)
Actually I suspect that its more fun when you aren't allowed to drink. You have to work harder and thus get more drunk when you drink (going to keggers and smuggling alcohol out of the stores). I have to say I was quite jealous that the rest of the world was drinking before me, but then I'd hate to imagine if I was over there when I was 18, I don't think I would have actually survived.
That reminds me of a specific episode of southpark...
Camford
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Raphael~)
Do people's accents really change noticably at 18+ from 24 weeks of Cambridge exposure?!?!
That's because they are drunk too often. Not me personally, but I have a feeling that I'll walk across the college lawn on Tuesday and get caught by the head porter and fined to my bitter ass...
TakemetoAvalon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
That's because they are drunk too often. Not me personally, but I have a feeling that I'll walk across the college lawn on Tuesday and get caught by the head porter and fined to my bitter ass...
You get fined for being drunk? lol ^_^ that's funny

EDIT::

ON NOES!!!!!111

The next post I make is post 666 :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad:

must stop posting... mousssstttt stop....
platinumki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by killermonkeys)
When I'm drunk I sound scottish.
God, that's weird - me too!
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
When I get drunk I lose co-ordination of the English language and start talking like a caveman/woman. It's great. My normal accent is a slight chameleon merger of all those around me, depending on who I'm talking to.
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Willa)
accents arent really a problem...i'm a londoner too and most people seem to develop a sort of "cambridge" accent....except the irish who always sound drunk :p:
Hey, we do not! I would rather hold on to my accent though than develop a generic one.
Hello Clare, my name is Catherine.
killermonkeys
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TakemetoAvalon)
You get fined for being drunk? lol ^_^ that's funny
No you get fined for walking across the grass :-)...
Simone de Beauv
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
When I'm drunk I sound as English/Austrailian as can be, which is a bit odd because I'm northern irish (even though I don't have an accent at all) :confused:
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
When I get drunk I lose co-ordination of the English language and start talking like a caveman/woman. It's great. My normal accent is a slight chameleon merger of all those around me, depending on who I'm talking to.

My accent changes... its east London with the family... raher more refined at school... i pushed all the stops out for my cambridge interviews... i use my more refined accent for most things conecrning people i don't know... it sounds pretentious but its unintentional.

I would quite easily pick up an accent at cambridge... even in the few short weeks we are there.
sugarplumc
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Simone de Beauv)
When I'm drunk I sound as English/Austrailian as can be, which is a bit odd because I'm northern irish (even though I don't have an accent at all) :confused:
everyone has an accent! :rolleyes:
Simone de Beauv
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol very true But I mean I don't seem to have a northern irish accent which I don't really mind because I'm not too fond of that accent!
emily87
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hi,

thought I'd say hello on this thread, I'm coming to Downing for Law, and I was going to come in 2005...except now they're sending me to a californian college for a year (yay!) so I won't be coming till 2006 and won't meet any of the TSR Downing people till then. But as its a long time till a 2006 thread arrives I'll post here anyway :hello:

Emily
Noel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by emily87)
Hi,

thought I'd say hello on this thread, I'm coming to Downing for Law, and I was going to come in 2005...except now they're sending me to a californian college for a year (yay!) so I won't be coming till 2006 and won't meet any of the TSR Downing people till then. But as its a long time till a 2006 thread arrives I'll post here anyway :hello:

Emily
Cambridge have sent you to California for a year? I want to go!
emily87
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Noel)
Cambridge have sent you to California for a year? I want to go!
it's a liberal arts college that the college has a connection with, there's a full scholarship there each year (have you applied/got there yet? if not apply to Downing! any applicant for undergrad study can apply) so I'm gonna go and study various different subjects there before i do law at Cam. I'm all excited..sunshine, oranges, beaches...

edit: the sad bit is that I'd found loads of other people (6) coming in 2005 for law at downing and now I'm gonna be in a completely different year...

edit2: ok seen your profile, well done on the economics offer! anyone thinking of applying to Downing - its worth applying for the scholarship cos u never know...!
Wasp39
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JHutcher)
My accent changes... its east London with the family... raher more refined at school... i pushed all the stops out for my cambridge interviews... i use my more refined accent for most things conecrning people i don't know... it sounds pretentious but its unintentional.

I would quite easily pick up an accent at cambridge... even in the few short weeks we are there.
I've found that too. I used to live in Berkshire, but now live in Lancashire. Unfortunately this means that in the South I sound 'northern' and in the north I sound 'posh' - I'd say myself I have a fairly neutral accent. However, if I stay in the south for long enough, I really do start sounding southern, and do annoying things like going up at the end of sentences...
Ticki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think I sound more rah at home than I do when I'm here. Here I try to maintain my northern vowels, but I do fear the homecounties thang is getting the better of my northern roots.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.29%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.92%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.79%

Watched Threads