New Cambridge students October 2005: let's get to know each other! Watch

crana9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
This is a good introduction to the pettiness, inefficiency, and apparent determination to make your life much harder than it has to be, that you will encounter much much more of in the years to come.
xx_ambellina_xx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by naelse)
lol, that's nothing. by 'read' they always mean 'skim'. you'll usually be set 7+ books a week for each essay so this is clearly just a warmup.
Why do I get the feeling that the 8 weeks spent on this paper are going to be hell?
naelse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
no, i think that's an overreaction, rosie. it's perfectly normal to be set this the week before. In fact, I think she's coming off quite lightly.
xx_ambellina_xx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by crana9)
This is a good introduction to the pettiness, inefficiency, and apparent determination to make your life much harder than it has to be, that you will encounter much much more of in the years to come.
*sobs*

methinks I should have gone elsewhere.
xx_ambellina_xx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
no, i think that's an overreaction, rosie. it's perfectly normal to be set this the week before. In fact, I think she's coming off quite lightly.
It's just the way the email is worded implies that they must be read thoroughly...would be nice if I'd received a reading list at the start of the summer like most NORMAL SUBJECTS RAAH!
~Raphael~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
They've waited until now so you haven't forgotten it by the time you arrive
naelse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by xx_ambellina_xx)
Why do I get the feeling that the 8 weeks spent on this paper are going to be hell?
seriously, it's not as hard as it looks. Nobody reads the books cover to cover. The skill here is learning to skim very very quickly and take out what you need. They are just trying to get you into the habit of quick reading before you come, so that it won't be hell when you start for real. stop overreacting!
xx_ambellina_xx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Raphael~)
They've waited until now so you haven't forgotten it by the time you arrive
I'll have to read so quickly that I won't have time to forget it, since it won't go in my brain in the first place.
xx_ambellina_xx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
seriously, it's not as hard as it looks. Nobody reads the books cover to cover. The skill here is learning to skim very very quickly and take out what you need. They are just trying to get you into the habit of quick reading before you come, so that it won't be hell when you start for real. stop overreacting!
I'm not sure what I need, because I've not been told what to focus on. I have two histories of Europe to read by a week Monday...Hmm..
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thank god you don't have to skim-read maths books
crana9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
even so, she'll still have a lot of crap to put up with from the university.

It seems pretty unfair to me to give you that short a time to get the books AND read them though. Do they not give you any kind of warning or "books you should buy" beforehand?

There's no way you would get them in that timeframe from libraries unless they already happened to have one in your county (which in my experience never happens) or if you can somehow use a university library near you (which is also not easy to do; they have recently tightened up security at Trent and I don't think you can waltz into Notts either)

In my town there is nowhere I could buy academic books, so I'm either looking at travelling to the nearest city (which probably wouldn't have them anyway, it's likely I'd have to specially order them, depending how common they are and if they are prescribed for the local universities' courses) or buying them by mail order. Special order or mail order - unlikely to get them very quickly. If I was working right up till I went back, which I would be doing if I hadn't said I wanted the week before I went back clear, I'd have found it pretty hard to get over to Nottingham and buy any class of a book.

Would it be that difficult to send you a list of what books you would be required to get/read at least a little longer in advance?

It's different when you're IN cambridge and have access to all the libraries and more bookshops etc..

Eh, you don't get this kind of crap on Nat Sci.
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
TWO histories of Europe?? :eek: I was only taught one history of Europe at school!!
naelse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ffs this is nothing compared to what i was given. clearly if you were given histories of europe, they want you to get a general feel of the paper so that you're properly prepared. and having a week to do it in is preparation for when you'll have a week to read 7-14 and write a 2,000 word essay
crana9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
and when I were a lad I didn't have shoes and ate newspaper for breakfast!
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You sound like a character from 1984 :p:
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Parents are annoying, by far the most annoying thing on earth. Especially mothers.
crana9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Worse than Vogons?
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Worse than Vogons?
much much much worse.
xx_ambellina_xx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
even so, she'll still have a lot of crap to put up with from the university.

It seems pretty unfair to me to give you that short a time to get the books AND read them though. Do they not give you any kind of warning or "books you should buy" beforehand?

There's no way you would get them in that timeframe from libraries unless they already happened to have one in your county (which in my experience never happens) or if you can somehow use a university library near you (which is also not easy to do; they have recently tightened up security at Trent and I don't think you can waltz into Notts either)

In my town there is nowhere I could buy academic books, so I'm either looking at travelling to the nearest city (which probably wouldn't have them anyway, it's likely I'd have to specially order them, depending how common they are and if they are prescribed for the local universities' courses) or buying them by mail order. Special order or mail order - unlikely to get them very quickly. If I was working right up till I went back, which I would be doing if I hadn't said I wanted the week before I went back clear, I'd have found it pretty hard to get over to Nottingham and buy any class of a book.

Would it be that difficult to send you a list of what books you would be required to get/read at least a little longer in advance?

It's different when you're IN cambridge and have access to all the libraries and more bookshops etc..

Eh, you don't get this kind of crap on Nat Sci.
Thanks Rosie. The problem is, I live in a little village 30 miles from the nearest proper bookshop (which never has books I want anyway), and with all the packing and stuff I've got to sort out before I come up, I'm screwed, basically. I didn't have a reading list or anything, and despite emailing college a week ago, wasn't told what paper I was doing this term until today, so I couldn't ask my college parent or anything...

Therefore I don't think I'm overreacting, particularly.
naelse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by xx_ambellina_xx)
Thanks Rosie. The problem is, I live in a little village 30 miles from the nearest proper bookshop (which never has books I want anyway), and with all the packing and stuff I've got to sort out before I come up, I'm screwed, basically. I didn't have a reading list or anything, and despite emailing college a week ago, wasn't told what paper I was doing this term until today, so I couldn't ask my college parent or anything...

Therefore I don't think I'm overreacting, particularly.
As there isn't an essay set on them, the reading is clearly to get you in the rhythm of reading and give you a general feeling rather than anything they will actually ******* you for if you haven't done.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (9)
64.29%
No I haven't decided yet (3)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (2)
14.29%

Watched Threads