New Cambridge students October 2005: let's get to know each other! Watch

xx_ambellina_xx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by crana9)
You can always come over to Notts, hang out with me and visesh, and get your books from our libraries
Methinks I wouldn't get reading done :p:
White_redrose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It's certainly a possibility, but getting it in time assumes they have it in stock, deliver it fast etc... even if you get it delivered superfast you're probably not gonna get it until Tuesday at the earliest, and that's only a couple of days before some people will be heading up to uni.
I hate Amazon atm - I ordered one book (from my History reading list) two WEEKS ago and it still hasn't shipped. I've read several books for the 1500-1750 papers I'm taking, but I haven't been able to get hold of anything for my European one. I like your advice - get down to the college library and check out what they have, I think I'll have to do that unless it arrives by Friday morning.
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by White_redrose)
I hate Amazon atm - I ordered one book (from my History reading list) two WEEKS ago and it still hasn't shipped. I've read several books for the 1500-1750 papers I'm taking, but I haven't been able to get hold of anything for my European one. I like your advice - get down to the college library and check out what they have, I think I'll have to do that unless it arrives by Friday morning.
I can check the college library for you if you want.
naelse
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
seriously ambellina, i just wouldn't bother. have a flick through on the weekend when you arrive
crana9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by xx_ambellina_xx)
Methinks I wouldn't get reading done :p:
I dunno about visesh, but im not very fun to hang with.

White/Red - you know that's my college library you talking about, right? and also my employer?

If you think it would help, here is where you can search for any books to see if they are in the library:

http://collpw-newton.lib.cam.ac.uk/

This narrows it to colleges between p and w. you can limit the search further but it's easy enough to plug it in and scan down the page looking for pembroke.
xx_ambellina_xx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by naelse)
seriously ambellina, i just wouldn't bother. have a flick through on the weekend when you arrive
Well, yknow, I think that the fact that he's asked me to read them thoroughly implies that he might actually want me to read them. :eek:
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I wouldn't bother with reading list. I borrowed 10 books from the college library at the end of last term, I reckon i went through about 300 pages of things.
White_redrose
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
I can check the college library for you if you want.
Will you? That would be great if you could find out for me! I'm really hoping either of these two are in:
R W Southern, The Making of the Middle Ages
Marc Bloch, Feudal Society
White_redrose
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, yknow, I think that the fact that he's asked me to read them thoroughly implies that he might actually want me to read them. :eek:
That's a very good point.
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Will you? That would be great if you could find out for me! I'm really hoping either of these two are in:
R W Southern, The Making of the Middle Ages
Marc Bloch, Feudal Society
they probably should be in. But then again, if not, there's always the university library.
White_redrose
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I dunno about visesh, but im not very fun to hang with.

White/Red - you know that's my college library you talking about, right? and also my employer?

If you think it would help, here is where you can search for any books to see if they are in the library:

http://collpw-newton.lib.cam.ac.uk/

This narrows it to colleges between p and w. you can limit the search further but it's easy enough to plug it in and scan down the page looking for pembroke.
Oh right, that's fab. Thanks for the link, I'll check them out now.
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh right, that's fab. Thanks for the link, I'll check them out now.
Neither of the two are on loan. Feudal society is actually two books.... part I and II. The Making of the Middle Ages isn't actually on the shelf.
Immortal Wombat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm not sure what I need, because I've not been told what to focus on. I have two histories of Europe to read by a week Monday...Hmm..
Find out which one is bigger and read that. It will probably have everything the smaller one has somewhere in it.
White_redrose
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
Neither of the two are on loan. Feudal society is actually two books.... part I and II. The Making of the Middle Ages isn't actually on the shelf.
Okay, thanks a lot for checking them out. Didn't realise FS was in two parts, that's useful to know.
crana9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The age of extremes is longer
naelse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Immortal Wombat)
Find out which one is bigger and read that. It will probably have everything the smaller one has somewhere in it.
it's not the same as a science subject- it's likely that the two authors have slightly different opinions.
crana9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you get there and its not on the shelf, ask pat the librarian nicely. Sometimes things are in weird places for no obvious reason. It doesn't help that pembroke students are for the most part incapable of refiling books correctly. I spend a lot of time just returning things to the right places :mad:

Edited because i was being stupid
crana9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by naelse)
it's not the same as a science subject- it's likely that the two authors have slightly different opinions.
Guess what? Differing opinions and perspectives exist in science too!
Immortal Wombat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Guess what? Differing opinions and perspectives exist in science too!
In sciences the author generally mentions both though.
crana9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Immortal Wombat)
In sciences the author generally mentions both though.
That's not exactly unheard of in books written about history or whatever, you know.

Besides, even when both sides of a debate are mentioned/discussed, it's often not in a particularly balanced way. Richard Dawkins writes a lot about anti-Darwinist opinions etc, but his books are hardly an objective assessment of the various existing thoughts on evolution/Darwinism.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads