Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    I'm sitting in a Trinity computer room
    Wooo!!!
    How you finding it Jeanne?

ReputationRep:
    When is our little Trinity meet-up? Saturday evening in the bar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xyro)
    When is our little Trinity meet-up? Saturday evening in the bar?
    Wherever, I don't mind!!

Have I got your number?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    How you finding it Jeanne?
    Better than I expected!!

ReputationRep:
    Why weren't you punting? That was a lot more fun than frisbie! Don't forget, 8pm -> drinks in bar.

Rushda, I don't think you have my number. I still haven't managed to get a card

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xyro)
    Why weren't you punting? That was a lot more fun than frisbie! Don't forget, 8pm -> drinks in bar.

Rushda, I don't think you have my number. I still haven't managed to get a card
    Are you nuts? Punting is for summer. Look outside window, does the clouds say summer to you?

ReputationRep:
    I don't do the real world. Also, it gets warmer if you punt yourself (even if you get a bit soaked).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xyro)
    I don't do the real world. Also, it gets warmer if you punt yourself (even if you get a bit soaked).
    I want to see you punt in December.

ReputationRep:
    You won't, because I'll be home by that time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xyro)
    You won't, because I'll be home by that time
    You are not allowed to go home until you have punted in december :security:

Bad news for the ssh sharing ring... Pembroke has gone DHCP, no one knows how to connect to my computer using ssh .

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm ... LAN? ie physicall moving stuff? o.O

I'm off to dinner now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xyro)
    Hmmm ... LAN? ie physicall moving stuff? o.O

I'm off to dinner now.
    What has LAN got to do with physically moving stuff?

ReputationRep:
    Why can't you ssh a dhcp pc? ifconfig - get your ip number... erm

then connect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    What has LAN got to do with physically moving stuff?
    I meant putting machines together directly. You know, like LAN parties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveee)
    Why can't you ssh a dhcp pc? ifconfig - get your ip number... erm

then connect?
    That'll work if the machine you are trying to connect to is on your subnet (or it doesn't use subnet ip addresses).

ReputationRep:
    That'll work if the machine you are trying to connect to is on your subnet (or it doesn't use subnet ip addresses).
    Oh - but you're now on a variety of subnets. I see. I never became particularly leet at ssh - for example I couldn't understand the ssh tunneling thing... and the ssh clients that I had were sooo bad in that if you pressed backspace it sent ^9 or something silly. Can't remember precisely.

ReputationRep:
    Well, as it turns out John's isn't completely empty... met some people from the JCR at the college bar and met Stewie, Simone de Beauv, and REMma from this forum on the landing just below mine on my staircase.

Bad news for the ssh sharing ring... Pembroke has gone DHCP, no one knows how to connect to my computer using ssh .
    I don't know what you're using ssh for, but wouldn't it work to set up some sort of dynamic DNS system (from e.g. dyndns.org) and have each machine you need to connect to automatically update its record on the DNS server every time it gets a new DHCP lease? Then just ssh to the DNS names instead of the IP's. Unless you mean they've gone NAT, in which case they are evil, why on earth would they do such a thing when the University has a /16?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beeblebrox87)
    I don't know what you're using ssh for, but wouldn't it work to set up some sort of dynamic DNS system (from e.g. dyndns.org) and have each machine you need to connect to automatically update its record on the DNS server every time it gets a new DHCP lease? Then just ssh to the DNS names instead of the IP's. Unless you mean they've gone NAT, in which case they are evil, why on earth would they do such a thing when the University has a /16?
    each college run their own dns. But now I'm coming to question that. Since last night, I have found that people in cambridge can access my computer, but not anyone who's not on the cambridge network. This is weird, becuase I thought Colleges have separate lans which are completely separate.

According to the dns, I have two host names, but no one can actually ping me on them. I can only assume (and hope) that it is newly setup up and hasn't got all the latest record yet.

ReputationRep:
    Can't you forward your ip to another one? I did that before...

ReputationRep:
    Frisbee in the Fellows' garden?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 13, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.