The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Camford
each college run their own dns. But now I'm coming to question that. Since last night, I have found that people in cambridge can access my computer, but not anyone who's not on the cambridge network. This is weird, becuase I thought Colleges have separate lans which are completely separate.

According to the dns, I have two host names, but no one can actually ping me on them. I can only assume (and hope) that it is newly setup up and hasn't got all the latest record yet.

Hrmmm, I think you are meaning to say that you are now behind a NATing firewall. If your IP begins with 10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x or 172.16.x.x it's private and being NATed... Try www.whatismyip.com and you'll see a different one which is your public address, but the FW will still prevent ppl from sshing to you.

If not it's probably a regular old firewall that is blocking inbound SSH. Were I running a college's network I would certainly do that. There's no "good reason" you'd allow it anyway. If you can make up an excuse you might be able to get it taken away.

Speaking of stupid rules, indeed my college does not all skype because it uses P2P... how stupid. I'm running it anyway and I will see what happens, but I invested quite a bit of money in phone numbers so ppl could call me.

Just looking and noticed I have a public IP. cool. Off to hack myself...
Can't ping my external IP. I think it's a shared.

I can make up an excuse for needing ssh. Probably a stupid one, but none the less a valid one. I'll ask the college CO about it next week or something.
Reply 3842
Our lil Trinity meet up yesterday was cool :ccol: everyone's as nice in person as they are online yay :smile:
Reply 3843
Well I'm here... got a bit annoyed cos they messed up my post and my room but am getting settled now and looking forward to starting my course. I've met a couple of my new fellow arch and anthers but not all and have been gorging myself on free fresher's snacks instead of actually eating meals. Met up with Zarathustra and Musicbloke this afternoon and had a cool time picking out outfits for a tutorial meeting. :smile:
Many more people have arrived at St. John's now, it's really great. Met Lau200 as well.
Omg i'm here too!!!!!!!!!! I have very little time though so it'll be a quick hi :smile: I dont have the internet connection in my room yet but when i do i shall come on TSR more often... anyway Queens' is brilliant, been drinking a bit too much, sleeping a bit too little and done absolutely no work ! I'm now playing rugby and rowing which are both great! went tubing twice and rowing once and every time was a blast :smile: apart from that im the founder of our freshers' drinking society and it's great fun :smile: btw if any of u are part of guys drinking soc, feel free to drop me a line and we'll arrange formal... and to anyone else who wants to come to a Queens' formal too drop me a line :smile:
dunno when will be my next TSR apparition so bye for now
Reply 3846
Do any of you remember someone with a username ending in 5000 (I think that was what he said!)? I bumped into him at Freshen Up last night but couldn't hear what his name was.
Nope sorry :frown: I was at freshen up too!
French Pikachu
Omg i'm here too!!!!!!!!!! I have very little time though so it'll be a quick hi :smile: I dont have the internet connection in my room yet but when i do i shall come on TSR more often... anyway Queens' is brilliant, been drinking a bit too much, sleeping a bit too little and done absolutely no work ! I'm now playing rugby and rowing which are both great! went tubing twice and rowing once and every time was a blast :smile: apart from that im the founder of our freshers' drinking society and it's great fun :smile: btw if any of u are part of guys drinking soc, feel free to drop me a line and we'll arrange formal... and to anyone else who wants to come to a Queens' formal too drop me a line :smile:
dunno when will be my next TSR apparition so bye for now

Theres a freshers drinking society emerging at Jesus where i am... Us boys would love to do a formal swap with the Lady drinkers at Queens.

Justin
Reply 3849
Woo 9am FAB lecture after a night at Cindy's.
I'm sick, and I only had two drinks, and I was sober! I looked after Becky next door when she was drunk, this can't be because of drink. *Cries*
I can't remember half of the things I did last night and I didn't even touch alcohol.

It could be freshers' flu.
visesh
Woo 9am FAB lecture after a night at Cindy's.

Two words for you: hungover dissection.

Horrible.
Reply 3853
that's the plan for next monday:biggrin:

i have a massive painful lump just behind my ear and the college nurse thinks its a viral infection- possibly EBV:frown: need to see my GP later.

*******s.
Reply 3854
im going later as well, don't sit next to me! i don't want your freaky virus!
hehe wat time did u leave visesh? cindies was good fun last ngith and i was completely sober! btw ur gonna see our GP :p:
JHutcher
Theres a freshers drinking society emerging at Jesus where i am... Us boys would love to do a formal swap with the Lady drinkers at Queens.

Justin

Great I'll Pm u once things get settled coz right now things are a bit intense/crazy
Reply 3857
I think I left at about 12:30, but met some randoms from college and just walked for a while.

My GP is away today and booked all day tomorrow. I need to phone on Friday morning for one later that day, but I have a FULL day. I need to find out what the procedure is for missing practicals, just incase I can't get a suitable appointment!
Reply 3858
Couldn't you see another doctor at the practice?
Let there be post!

Latest

Trending

Trending