New Cambridge students October 2005: let's get to know each other! Watch

Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JHutcher)
firstly thanks for the wow, i think i might be the only quaker undergrad at cambridge! My family is atheist, so i am a convert, a reluctant one at that

I heard all that about rowing, but if i do a sport thats how I want it to be... surely you can keep it at novice level if you want to?
omg a convert! how amazing are these quaker dudes.....what on earth does it entail? please explain why you became one!

And whoever asked about staying novice.....once you row in fairbairns (the race at the end of michaelmas term) you become a Senior rower. If you want you can make sure you only row in the lower boats, hence keeping it at a "novicey" level....but I'm still warning you, you will be encouraged to try for the first or second boat, and if offered the chance it's very tempting not to say no! It's funny cos I was talking to a friend an hour before we had the crew selections saying "Well I'm aiming for a good seat in the second boat....obviously first boat is out of my league....I wouldn't take an offer to row with first boat anyway, cos i really don't think I have the time". I go to the meeting, get offered first boat and say "yeah I'll take it".
I'm such an idiot....now my life is non stop pain!
Camford
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Willa)
omg a convert! how amazing are these quaker dudes.....what on earth does it entail? please explain why you became one!

And whoever asked about staying novice.....once you row in fairbairns (the race at the end of michaelmas term) you become a Senior rower. If you want you can make sure you only row in the lower boats, hence keeping it at a "novicey" level....but I'm still warning you, you will be encouraged to try for the first or second boat, and if offered the chance it's very tempting not to say no! It's funny cos I was talking to a friend an hour before we had the crew selections saying "Well I'm aiming for a good seat in the second boat....obviously first boat is out of my league....I wouldn't take an offer to row with first boat anyway, cos i really don't think I have the time". I go to the meeting, get offered first boat and say "yeah I'll take it".
Yep. We are what is called "human". And humans are meant to be stupid and hence do stupid things, no matter where you are.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Willa)
but I'm still warning you, you will be encouraged to try for the first or second boat, and if offered the chance it's very tempting not to say no! It's funny cos I was talking to a friend an hour before we had the crew selections saying "Well I'm aiming for a good seat in the second boat....obviously first boat is out of my league....I wouldn't take an offer to row with first boat anyway, cos i really don't think I have the time". I go to the meeting, get offered first boat and say "yeah I'll take it".
Hahaha! See, I was asked when someone dropped out if I'd like to give it a go, but I stuck to my guns and wrote a very polite but firm e-mail saying there was no way I could do it. So I'm in the 2nd VIII and we rock! (sometimes literally )
minimo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
This thread should be a sticky!!
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by minimo)
This thread should be a sticky!!
Wait till it gets to about 3000 posts...
Ticki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Let's not talk about being drunk. I KNEW there was a reason I'd given alcohol up. I'm reminded this morning when I realise that I can't take it!!!

I had a date last night, but then all the girls at my college really fancied him, so i got really nervous, and decided to drink to calm my nerves, and now I don't remember very much except that I think I had 3 glasses of wine, 2 x G&T, malibu and pineapple, vodka and lemonade, 3 x archers & lemonade and fear that some of them were doubles... Anyway, he left, I got really really upset, then I was sick, then I passed out, then I woke up and cleared the sick, then I realised it was 7.30am.

Oh. dear. God.

Do I have any sense?!
TakemetoAvalon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ticki)
Let's not talk about being drunk. I KNEW there was a reason I'd given alcohol up. I'm reminded this morning when I realise that I can't take it!!!

I had a date last night, but then all the girls at my college really fancied him, so i got really nervous, and decided to drink to calm my nerves, and now I don't remember very much except that I think I had 3 glasses of wine, 2 x G&T, malibu and pineapple, vodka and lemonade, 3 x archers & lemonade and fear that some of them were doubles... Anyway, he left, I got really really upset, then I was sick, then I passed out, then I woke up and cleared the sick, then I realised it was 7.30am.

Oh. dear. God.

Do I have any sense?!
Oh dear. From what I can tell, no. But don't worry, you arent' a lost cause yet
The Albatross
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
aww leave the poor little thread alone! Let it blossom without the foul corruption of us 2004 entry people...
French Pikachu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I think as a girl u can always make up for these things... u know that woman power !?
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ticki)

Oh. dear. God.

Do I have any sense?!
Get alcohol to calm your damn is a bad idea. The nurversness of getting such a date is what it's all about. I'd rather prefer to be nervous and let the other person know that I'm excited (not sexually) and nervous rather than knock myself out with alcohol. If I had to, I'd probaly have half a glass of something like vinegar (i.e. my medoc, yaks!).
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ticki)
Oh. dear. God.

Do I have any sense?!
Doesn't seem so, but we've all been there, done that! At least you didn't stomp all the way through Market Square shouting "Why did he leave? Why don't he love me? *******!!!"

And yes, we should probably let the babies colonise, but they should know of our generally fantastic presence anyway - technically I shouldn't be on the 2004 thread either but :p:
Ticki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hmmm, also had a double tequila slammer if I remember rightly. This explains a lot.

This 'corruption' is entirely relevant - the 2005 people need to know what to expect at Cam, and ramblings about alcohol are very frequent.
French Pikachu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
What subject do u read?
JaF
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Trinity - Engineering

My name is Joe Farish and my birthday is 04/06/86.
I'm a northern lad and my parents live in a town called Cockermouth which is in Cumbria. I went to a fairly decent state school and I have a-levels in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and general studies. I also studied AS History which is pretty unusual for an engineer. For those people who care my UCAS form can be found here

This year I have been working for Sharp Laboratories of Europe Ltd. in Oxford. This has meant leaving my home up north to go and live down in Oxford. I'm currently sharing a house with two other people who are working for Sharp and who will also be reading Engineering at Cambridge in October.

My placement is fairly cool as we are left to our own devices which means we can learn at our own pace. I'm currently working on my main project for the year which is a mysql database to store test results. I am also designing a web based front end so that the design engineers can easily access it.

In my spare time I am a member of the City of Oxford Rowing Club and I train with the novice men who are all about ten years older than me. I enjoy it though because it is getting me into shape. When I get to Trinity I am planning on playing for one of the first teams in either Rugby or Football or alternatively I might pursue my interest in rowing.

When I'm not rowing or at the gym I like to watch films and whenever I get the chance I will go and see foreign films at the UPP. I also enjoy a good pub quiz and I'm a bit of a computer geek and I probably spend far too much time in front of the computer.

I'm 6'2" with blonde hair and blue eyes. Although I'll probably die my hair purple before coming up. I used to have purple hair when I was at school but I stopped dieing it for my Cambridge interviews and obviously I can't exactly go into work with purple hair.
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by platinumki)

Oh, and sometimes, I talk **** :eek:
Nope, don't talk ****; you talk **** loads.
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
[...excellence...]
Dude I love you, though not in the icky-sticky way
platinumki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
Nope, don't talk ****; you talk **** loads.
ah, go play in your own thread
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

hehe I have no thread of my own, so I must hoppity about until I am chased away by little 0s and 1s :eek:
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Don't say that, they may kick me out
platinumki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
Don't say that, they may kick me out
aww, Visesh, you command a position all of your own, spanning the Cambridge generations, so to speak, you need not fear.

Raphael - it's OK, we'll keep you as a pet. :sheep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.29%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.92%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.79%

Watched Threads