New Cambridge students October 2005: let's get to know each other! Watch

mctcdc0710
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mel_z)
Hello everybody!

I'm doing Maths next year at Newnham (given I make the STEP offer) after being pooled from Emma. I'm currently doing double Maths, Physics, Chem and that useless, compulsory one.

I'm from Birmingham, 18, Chinese - though I'm more English than my parents would like. I'm into watching cricket, rugby u, snooker, tennis etc... and despite being born without any sporting capability, I've worked hard at playing badminton to a national standard for the last 6 years.

I know orangazhang in person (hello!) though haven't seen him for a while.

I went up (actually down) to Cam yesterday for a pool open day, and met the DoS along with other pooled students at my college in my subject - there are a lot of us, I guess with the emphasis that they expect half of us to miss the STEP offer.

My life-long amibition is to become the official scorer for the England cricket team (it's Malcolm Ashton at the moment, but the guy's got to retire some time..), although I'd probably settle for a career in actuary.

what's ur step offer?
JHutcher
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by French Pikachu)
Hmm Hutcher how big is the department? is it like land economy with 40 students a year? Anyway that wouldnt mean anything considering the fact that there are 6 TSR future first year land economists! very surprising that 15% of us will have already been in touch!
40-50

and i believe that my department is the oldest in the unversity
TakemetoAvalon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh avallon u managed to write in between the time i started writting my post anf finished! now my last comment seems just a tiny bit dumb! lol
so how are u? studying?
Hi
Ahh..sigh.... back at home in Denmark.. it feels so good to be away from Edinburgh...
It's so snowy! Yay! There is snow everywhere and I built a huge snow(wo)man so I'll post a pic of that later... and now it's started snowing again

Umm.. yeah so I am fine.. haven't been posting much lately because you and Iris weren't around that much and I'm trying to do my Physics project... (well, Iris is, but I keep missing her on msn :rolleyes: )

Also, I have to keep deleting my posts because I don't want to reach 666 posts

So, lots of schoolwork/looking after brother/ starting to learn French at the moment (parents moving to Switzerland ) Bonjour! J'em appel Avalon?

Snowboarding sounds cool, I'll finally get a chance to do my skiing in Switz over the summer..I haven't done any for months! Denmark is flat
wooo anyway, work time now! I'll be back later this evening probably
Charlottie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
unless i scared u like i scared Charlottie! lol
Ciao
You just worried me
I'm not scared. Honest...
xyro
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ah, mathmos ... and possibly chinese! guess i might add my bit, too.

i was born in china but i grew up in germany living in the same small (but rather nice) town for the last 15 years. there is also a TSR member that i went to interview with (MelChEng) who is from this region. i applied for maths (trinity) although i discoverd it too late to be any reasonably good in it. unfortunately, we only have single maths courses here in germany that differ in style from the british courses. that´s why presently, most of my time is spent working through the single and further maths syllabus although a huge amount of my time is constantly being wasted on the internet. very unhealthy as my offer involves STEP.

concerning play ... maths obviously there was also a time when i used to do robotics and it was quite fun. mmh, oh yeah, music! i used to play the piano and i constantly have music around thanks to computers being on the whole time etc. my taste for music is slightly weird though and i´m convinced that every mathmo should like math rock. i´m also quite interested in print media.

yeah, hope to see you all in october!
khil
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
HELLO!!!!

Yay Avalon and French Pikachu are back! - you guys haven't been on for ages and ages! Lol Avalon you've been on msn? - I've only seen you once on there recently and that time you were "away" and then you disappeared! Would be nice to have a chat again some time - btw I watched Mononoke Hime! - GORGEOUS music!!!!! Honestly really love the soundtrack there!

And Pikachu - hmmm my hyperness... :rolleyes: I think I finally ran out of things to say I still come on lots, but I don't hang as much on this subforum anymore - I look at the Nottingham subforum sometimes but that forum is just a tiny bit dead most of the time :rolleyes: I made do with emailing Squishy recently We both type essays of an email! Suppose my love for Cambridge is sorta dying cus I'm setting my heart more and more on Nottingham and other reasons for loving Cambridge doesn't really hold anymore I'd comment on anything though so gimme something to say and I'll start rolling Although tbh some people are probably glad I've been less hyper cus I know some people get annoyed with me not sure who though.

And lol there're sooo many Chinese people on here! Hello guys I'm Chinese too:marchmell Welcome ickle newbies! *huggles everyone*

*special huggles to Avalon and Pikachu*
mortalcoil_664
Report 14 years ago
Welcome ickle newbies! *huggles everyone*
Thanks for the huggle Irisng, and yes - i am a newbie! (and not ashamed of it!) Although i'm not too sure if there's anything "ickle" about me... :p:
khil
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mortalcoil_664)
Thanks for the huggle Irisng, and yes - i am a newbie! (and not ashamed of it!) Although i'm not too sure if there's anything "ickle" about me... :p:
tee hee :marchmell newbies are cool! I was a newbie once :rolleyes: can't believe how many posts I've made now hehe - when do I become an overloard...? can't really remember hehe

I'm truly rather ickle - only 5ft2 :p:
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by irisng)
tee hee :marchmell newbies are cool! I was a newbie once :rolleyes: can't believe how many posts I've made now hehe - when do I become an overloard...? can't really remember hehe

Forget how many posts- how many ****ing emoticons!!!! :eek:
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by irisng)

2000, I recently became one (well in training ), but I'm never a newbie. I still think I'm too short, but I'm not 5'2" short.

A.
khil
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Lol Alaric! - well you being a guy I'd certainly hope you're not 5ft2!!!! - I mean I'm already short for a girl! How tall are you then?

And Visesh - lol well I call my excessive use of smilies - enthusiasm!!!!! :marchmell

Although, does it really annoy people? :confused:
crana9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
in a word, yes.

5'2 isnt really short. im 5'2. its about average for women no? (I think women average is about 5'3..?)
khil
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by crana9)
in a word, yes.

5'2 isnt really short. im 5'2. its about average for women no? (I think women average is about 5'3..?)
Not really sure... I think 5ft8 is getting tall for women - so I suppose 5ft3-5ft5 is the average???? :confused:

No... I'd have thought 5ft2 is a bit short... I suppose it's not too short, but short.
crana9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i guess its slightly short but its n ot really unusually short.
khil
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by crana9)
i guess its slightly short but its n ot really unusually short.
Hmmmm most people are slightly taller or 5ft3 - so you don't notice much really - like you won't show up as being incredibly short.

Although the truth is I think I'm actually *just* under 5ft2 I *think* I'm 5ft1.5 :rolleyes: not even sure if the units are right there ah well... But I simply like to round things up.

Although if I'm anything like my mum I'll get a burst of growth at 21 tee hee! - let's all hope!
visesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
good:eek: for you

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
crana9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
get your ***** ass back in this kitchen , and cook me some pie!
khil
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
LOL! Yay those lists of smilies look rather artistic

:p::p::p:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
:mad::mad::mad:
:o:o
:p::p::p:

Tee hee! :marchmell:marchmell:marchmell

Meh I hate the limit on smilies - who imposed it anyway?
visesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I hope it was because of my complaint.
khil
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
I hope it was because of my complaint.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Why do smilies annoy people I don't get it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (36)
25.71%
No (104)
74.29%

Watched Threads