The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
platinumki
aww, Visesh, you command a position all of your own, spanning the Cambridge generations, so to speak, you need not fear.

Raphael - it's OK, we'll keep you as a pet. :sheep:

I'm sorry, I have an almost Methodist-like view of sex, so I cannot participate, though I respect the sentiments in which the offer was made :biggrin: :rolleyes:
Reply 41
platinumki
aww, Visesh, you command a position all of your own, spanning the Cambridge generations, so to speak, you need not fear.

Raphael - it's OK, we'll keep you as a pet. :sheep:

Gee thanks. It almost feels as bad as someone calling me "so fat that I have my own area code".:frown:

:biggrin: jk, obv:p:
Reply 42
Righty ho, my turn!!

Philosophy, Trinity

My name is Rushda, no prizes for guessing that!! :rolleyes: Gosh I am awful at introductions but I can't not do one having suggested the idea for this thread!!! I am northern too - I'm a yorkshire girl and have always lived in Bradford. It's not exactly the most wonderful of places but I've grown quite accustomed to it. Given my parents are originally from Pakistan, I am quite in tune with my cultural roots (for instance I love asian clothes, indian films, celebrate eid, etc.) but I suppose I am quite intellectually liberal in that I don't really go for the religious part of my culture! I LOVE western analytic philosophy, and can't wait to study it properly at CamCams (am I allowed to call it that? :redface: ) Unfortunately my interests have been somewhat put on hold ever since I got addicted to the internet but I guess I like the usual stuff except for the fact that I'm not really a "partyer" or drinker so I'm the kind of person who'd rather curl up at home with a good book and a cuppa tea! Hopefully there will be others like that at Cambridge?! Character-wise, I am quite quiet and shy, a bit too emotional, and laugh a little too much!!

Anyway, enough about that. I am currently on a gap year (I reapplied to cambridge after my A levels) and have a job as a "Content creator", i.e. I build exam questions on a computer system so that people can test themselves online. I also make pretty graphics to go with them. It is such an ideal job for someone like me and I am enjoying it loads!

Loads of people are putting how they look so I suppose I should tell you, I'm quite small, light brown skin, have longish dark hair and dark eyes. And you know, there are probably hundreds of people who fit that description so I doubt there was any point tell you all that!!

Anyway there we go. Rushda in a nutshell!

P.S. For the newbies, I am also a mod of this forum. Speaking of which, may I please point out my utter annoyance at how this thread is being "taken over" by irrelevant rubbish at the moment. It may well be deleted in due course! You have been warned!

PS: :rolleyes: God that was the dumbest thing I've ever written!
Reply 43
nooo don't delte "annoying rubbish". The other 2004 thread should be completey removed if you do so, just for consistency:biggrin:
visesh
nooo don't delte "annoying rubbish". The other 2004 thread should be completey removed if you do so, just for consistency:biggrin:

hehehe -that would shut them up :biggrin:
Rushda i owe u official apologize for thinking u were a guy but i stopped at the name Adhsur wich made me think of Arthur and which explains y i thought u were a guy... nyway just exuse me i'm kina of a ******...
So yeah to all the people who have introduced themselves so far: u all seem very interesting and this adds on to my "excitement" to get to cambridge in october!
Since Camford... have taken over this not so "fresh" and not so "new" thread anymore, i think they should introduce themslevs aswell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hmmm y did starts ******* appear when i said that i was a bit of a R.E.T.A.R.D ? lol didnt know it was forbidden :rolleyes:
Adhsur
CamCams (am I allowed to call it that? :redface: )

No.

:wink:
French Pikachu
Rushda i owe u official apologize for thinking u were a guy but i stopped at the name Adhsur wich made me think of Arthur and which explains y i thought u were a guy... nyway just exuse me i'm kina of a ******...
So yeah to all the people who have introduced themselves so far: u all seem very interesting and this adds on to my "excitement" to get to cambridge in october!
Since Camford... have taken over this not so "fresh" and not so "new" thread anymore, i think they should introduce themslevs aswell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

actually, that's not a bad idea - there are loads of newbies and a lot of the 2004 crowd really don't make sense without prior explanation :tongue:
Reply 49
French Pikachu

Don't worry you're not the only one who thought Adhsur was a guy... :rolleyes: I never actually figured it was Rushda until I read it a while back!

Anyways I'm a little famous for hijacking Emma threads and now I'm hijacking this thread :p: I hope this thread turns random like the 2004 thread :biggrin:
Reply 50
Gonville and Cauis - Land Economy.

My name is Noel Cochrane, and my birthday 21/05/87. I live about 30 minutes away from Manchester city centre, near a place called "Leigh". I attend my local sixth form centre, where I study Economy, Geography, chemistry and genral studies (complusory :frown: ) Working hard to get my Chemistry upto an A, as i got a B last year, and I'm not really a scientist.
Aim hobby is horse riding, I have my own horse which I compete upto international level. Also like most racquet sports, mainly table tennis and badminton. Regulary go out clubbing and plubbing with mates, where I am reknown for not being able to stop myself from dancing lol. Into a variety of music, Micheal jackson, Eminem and many more (truely accletric). I have a huge crush on Gwen Stefani at the moment.
Favourite food is Ben and Jerreys Ice cream and anything with chicken in it. I have passed my driving test and have a peugeot 106. I will also be the first person in my family to go to university, and am really lucking forward to hopefully studying at Cambridge. Any questions just ask.

P.s. Land Economy is NOT a doss subject!
Land Economy rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Btw Noel what did u apply for at Manchester? I'm hesitating between INternational EConomics at Manchester and Economics with Chinese at Leeds for Insurance...
Reply 53
French Pikachu
Btw Noel what did u apply for at Manchester? I'm hesitating between INternational EConomics at Manchester and Economics with Chinese at Leeds for Insurance...

Hey there's an Economics with Chinese at Nottingham! :biggrin: Manchester is a lovely uni - not keen on the city though. :frown:
irisng
Hey there's an Economics with Chinese at Nottingham! :biggrin: Manchester is a lovely uni - not keen on the city though. :frown:

i know but:
1) economics and chinese at leeds has the second year in china !!!
2) i applied for international economics at nottingham adn my offer is the same as for Cambridge!!! crazy!!! so i cant consider it as a back up i'm afraid... :frown:
English at Pembroke

My name's Mia; my birthday is 27/06/87; I live in Leicestershire and attend what is generally considered to be an okay state school (actually it's a "technology college" which means they get grants to spend on things like high-tech sewing machines that are only used when ofsted are about, whilst the music department is overcrowded and falling apart. Plus I had to do textiles gcse :hmpf: ); I'm doing Eng Lit, Music, French and Psychology A2s; I play flute, piccolo, piano and alto sax; I play in the county youth orchestra, various flute choirs and folk groups, and the school jazz and soul bands. And I like semi-colons. A lot.

I love Shakespeare more than is good for me, same goes for fairytales and folk stories. Also into Charlotte Bronte, Tolkien, Pullman, and (shamefully) Harry Potter :redface: . Like Adhsur, I like my books and tea :wink: I can't stand dance/rap/pop music and - weirdly - listen to rock music quietly (I'm deaf enough already from piccolo playing). I love Bach, Debussy, Einaudi, Kate Rusby, Alanis (tickets arrived this morning for the Manchester concert :biggrin: ), Sarah MacLachlan and the Goo Goo Dolls. Typically at the theatre on Friday/Saturday nights rather than clubs/pubs. I am not middle class; my parents came from poorer backgrounds and my Dad studied at Oxford (he's forgiven me for applying to the Other Place. Just.) I'm very short and have very long hair and grey eyes. I'm pretty insular/introspective but not aloof, just shy. I'm terrified about leaving my family and going off to university, but can't wait to become more independent and start doing something challenging. School is boring. :hmpf:

Anyway, I'll stop waffling. (Another of my favourite hobbies.)
Reply 56
French Pikachu

Do I need to introduce myself? Em... might as well. (*Warning: Twaty behaviour to follow after this point. So please STOP READING NOW if you think you are going to call me a twat!*)

Name's Ford, Cam Ford. Named after the two city in long dispute over the supriority of one another.... This is never going to work. Better stop here.

Name's Shuai, but I have adopted Vincent since arriving in Cambridge last year. Not after Vincent Vega from Pulp Fiction, although I do love that film, very much. I'm a half year Computer Scientist in Pembroke. Currently, my computer is downloading stuff from the internet... not just any stuff, must be said. And I'm thinking, why am I doing this!? Anyway, just finished last bit of my pasta... lavaly javaly! Oh dear... this is not going to work either. I'm not as funny as I am on here (if I was ever funny on here at all, doubt that) in real life. If any of you meet me next year, then you will be disappointed. (Heavily pregnant fish behaviour)

There, are you happy?
Reply 57
Willa
omg a convert! how amazing are these quaker dudes.....what on earth does it entail? please explain why you became one!

And whoever asked about staying novice.....once you row in fairbairns (the race at the end of michaelmas term) you become a Senior rower. If you want you can make sure you only row in the lower boats, hence keeping it at a "novicey" level....but I'm still warning you, you will be encouraged to try for the first or second boat, and if offered the chance it's very tempting not to say no! It's funny cos I was talking to a friend an hour before we had the crew selections saying "Well I'm aiming for a good seat in the second boat....obviously first boat is out of my league....I wouldn't take an offer to row with first boat anyway, cos i really don't think I have the time". I go to the meeting, get offered first boat and say "yeah I'll take it".
I'm such an idiot....now my life is non stop pain!

well the lack of dogma, clergy and general openess of the religion is quite attractive. its christia whils encorperating the best of the meditationist tradition. You can be a memebr of it and other faiths if you feel you need to. there is no pressure to conform... they are pacifists genrally but not totally... and they care about society and the environmnet even if there politics sometimes differ.

It was also me who said about the boats. i think it would take alot of fitness training before i could get in a boat let alone be asked to join any teams. So i think its a side issue. As for rowing don't they have skulls as well? Anyway after some getting fit and things its certainly something i would eb interested in, and from what i hear JESUS as quite a good rowing rep.
Reply 58
fire-faery
English at Pembroke

My name's Mia; my birthday is 27/06/87; I live in Leicestershire and attend what is generally considered to be an okay state school (actually it's a "technology college" which means they get grants to spend on things like high-tech sewing machines that are only used when ofsted are about, whilst the music department is overcrowded and falling apart. Plus I had to do textiles gcse :hmpf: ); I'm doing Eng Lit, Music, French and Psychology A2s; I play flute, piccolo, piano and alto sax; I play in the county youth orchestra, various flute choirs and folk groups, and the school jazz and soul bands. And I like semi-colons. A lot.

I love Shakespeare more than is good for me, same goes for fairytales and folk stories. Also into Charlotte Bronte, Tolkien, Pullman, and (shamefully) Harry Potter :redface: . Like Adhsur, I like my books and tea :wink: I can't stand dance/rap/pop music and - weirdly - listen to rock music quietly (I'm deaf enough already from piccolo playing). I love Bach, Debussy, Einaudi, Kate Rusby, Alanis (tickets arrived this morning for the Manchester concert :biggrin: ), Sarah MacLachlan and the Goo Goo Dolls. Typically at the theatre on Friday/Saturday nights rather than clubs/pubs. I am not middle class; my parents came from poorer backgrounds and my Dad studied at Oxford (he's forgiven me for applying to the Other Place. Just.) I'm very short and have very long hair and grey eyes. I'm pretty insular/introspective but not aloof, just shy. I'm terrified about leaving my family and going off to university, but can't wait to become more independent and start doing something challenging. School is boring. :hmpf:

Anyway, I'll stop waffling. (Another of my favourite hobbies.)

*Check my own location... interesting* Which college did you go to exactly?

btw, you should have said your dad studied at the other place (note the lower case other place) and you applied to Cambridge (note the cap C).
fire-faery
English at Pembroke

Well we'll hopefully be neighbours (if i make the grades) coz Downing is just on the otherside of the street to the back entrance of Pembroke! :wink:

fire-faery
I love Shakespeare more than is good for me, same goes for fairytales and folk stories. Also into Charlotte Bronte, Tolkien, Pullman, and (shamefully) Harry Potter :redface: .

No one should be ashamed of liking Harry Poter!!!!! It's the best ever!

fire-faery
I love Bach, Debussy, Einaudi, Kate Rusby, Alanis (tickets arrived this morning for the Manchester concert :biggrin: )

I cannot stand Bach due to the brain-wash i had from my dad since i was a young child: my dad is obsessed with it and listens to it 24h/7days ! On the other land i love Alanis and went to the concert last June in Nice and it was amazing!

fire-faery
I'm very short and have very long hair

I'm short too and with long hair but i intend to cut it...

fire-faery
I'm terrified about leaving my family and going off to university, but can't wait to become more independent and start doing something challenging. School is boring. :hmpf:

I'm really used to travelling around alone and being far from my family so i'm not scared at all but on the other i'm also very exited to get to uni and have my own entirely independant life for 6 out of 12 months! Yay! And i could not agree more to the point abotu school being boring and it gets worse now, 3 months before the exams, when all taht is left is to revise!!!! :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending