The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

according to the Clare website, <£600 a term.
Reply 1281
ah yes i forgot to take fees into the equation there as well! so you should add those in as well! (as in they come off the 145 quid spent a week)
Reply 1282
visesh
How cheap is a cheap room? I don't think I get a choice for my first year:frown: King's just said that they will "tell" me where I am going to stay sometime in August!

I lie.

king's website
Before arriving, new first years are given a choice over two things (a) the rental category (b) the length of lease.

The most expensive rent is £669 per term, the cheapest £487 per term. Our rental prices are average amongst Cambridge colleges.

The letter they sent me wasn't that clear. I guess I will get my accommodation forms in August.
Reply 1283
I spent ages typing this reply the first time, then it vanished into cyberspace :mad: so here it is again....

visesh
The letter they sent me wasn't that clear. I guess I will get my accommodation forms in August.

Ask for the Chapel as your own private residence :rolleyes:

JHutcher
I really want to learn cello... relly relly want to learn. But the violin was a disaster so i'm holding back.

I'd quite like to learn the violin then move onto the viola or something. I've dabbled with it and can play D and G major (well I was pleased). Or the bassoon - thats a lovely instrument but a little beyond my means. - Anyone want to teach me/donate ridiculously expensive instruments? Ah well...

magicalsausage
Sounds pretty much like me there. Do you think it would be worthwhile for me to drag down my Cello? I do really enjoy just playing Bach etc. by myself, and would miss it, but at the same time it really is quite a large thing to take. Hmmm.

Take it! You must be able to find some ensemble to play with if you want to, and if not, I'll listen to you :smile:. As for getting it down, get a case with wheels, and attach to your towbar. Well it doesn't say you can't do it in the Highway Code....

Platinumki
you should bring it - we are meant to play for fun, remember?

surely there will be less-incredible ensembles as well for lesser mortals?

Absolutely. What's the point of playing music if you don't enjoy it? This was partly the reason I didn't go for the instrumental award in the end. I didn't want to end up "contracted" to a particular ensemble, and being bound to dedicate a certain amount of time to it. I'd quite like to set up my own Wind Quintet though. Or how about a Flute quartet - that'd deal with the surfeit of Flutes. Time to start browsing my June Emerson catalgue.....

Platinumki
Everybody round to Philip's!!!

You'll be very welcome :smile:

JHutcher
A set or not a set? any more thoughts on this, should you wait till the third year and try for one... or try for one in the first (don't think there are any in second at Jesus).

I stayed in some first year accomodation at Jesus on a Headstart Engineering Course in 2003. It was in a horrible 1960s block which apparantly the college wanted to buldoze but couldn't cause it's listed :rolleyes:. However, socially it was great, since everyone was really close together (These were all single study bedrooms) I'd assume with lots of sets, you might not get as many people quite so close

platinumki
why? what did you play?

Danzi Concerto (no idea which one) nice but cheesy - sounds harder than it is :smile:
Debussy Syrinx: I grew to hate that piece - to exposed, especially after the following piece. Sorry just don't like it now! (I still like a fair amount of other Debussy though)
Schubert Arpeggione Sonata: Urghhhh - just one long slog, completely knackers your lip etc. NEVER TOUCH IT!
Mathematics at St. John's

Joining this thread rather late, but better late than never I suppose.

I'm Alexander, I live in Tanzania and I'm studying for IB (maths, physics, and economics HL; englishA1, frenchB, and further maths SL) at a school called International School Moshi. I'm originally an American but frankly I'm embarassed of that these days. Don't play any sports or instruments. Got an offer from St. John's for 38 IB points and one 1 at STEP II or III. Still not sure I'll go to Cambridge, got into some universities in the US as well, so it would be nice if you guys could convince me that Cambridge is infinitely superior to all US unis :smile: .
Syrinx - never liked it myself either. I've done most of the grade VIII list through auditions and such - I loooove the Martinu (did the last movement for my NYOS audition. I'd never played it with a piano before and I was counting so hard a forgot to be nervous. I've never played so well in my life!)

Hail, good Beeblebrox! I trust you know where your towel is? :cool:
Reply 1286
My music abilities are rather pathetic...I've managed somehow to get to Grade 8 but I sound awful. I haven't really done much over the last two years, I found it hard to juggle music with all my A Levels :frown:. I'm hoping to get down to some serious music over the summer, i have some wonderful Beethoven in mind... :smile:
minimo
My music abilities are rather pathetic...I've managed somehow to get to Grade 8 but I sound awful. I haven't really done much over the last two years, I found it hard to juggle music with all my A Levels :frown:. I'm hoping to get down to some serious music over the summer, i have some wonderful Beethoven in mind... :smile:

What do you play?
Reply 1288
Piano
Me too ( and violin). I did my grade 8 about 3 years ago aswell. What pieces did you play?
Reply 1290
i'm in the process of doing my Grade 8, so I don't think I'm doing the same pieces as you hehe :redface:. I used to be pretty good, but I don't seem to be able to juggle work and practice very well. How do you do it?
Its not easy. To be honest some days i just think, stuff work, and just practise all day instead. I was lucky because i finished my grade 8s in year 10, when work wasnt so pressurised. That really allows to me to put practice on the back burner as we get nearer to exams. I ll probably do no practise untill my exams are over now, or just play easy stuff to relax. Like you, i'll have to catch up during the summer before Cambridge
beeblebrox87
Mathematics at St. John's

Joining this thread rather late, but better late than never I suppose.

I'm Alexander, I live in Tanzania and I'm studying for IB (maths, physics, and economics HL; englishA1, frenchB, and further maths SL) at a school called International School Moshi. I'm originally an American but frankly I'm embarassed of that these days. Don't play any sports or instruments. Got an offer from St. John's for 38 IB points and one 1 at STEP II or III. Still not sure I'll go to Cambridge, got into some universities in the US as well, so it would be nice if you guys could convince me that Cambridge is infinitely superior to all US unis :smile: .

Heya :biggrin:, finally another IB student! :smile: i also do IB as you might have noticed form my huge introduciton on the first page of this thread (yay i just realised this is my thread! :tongue:) My offer is 38pts as well with 7 maths methods/ 7 economics HL/ 6 spanish B HL/ bio HL 6 aswell... I'm really happy with it ! So where do u live in Tanzania ? any close to Dar el Salem? Does ur school go to THIMUN ?
platinumki: Yes, I know where my towel is. :smile:

French Pikachu
Heya :biggrin:, finally another IB student! :smile: i also do IB as you might have noticed form my huge introduciton on the first page of this thread (yay i just realised this is my thread! :tongue:) My offer is 38pts as well with 7 maths methods/ 7 economics HL/ 6 spanish B HL/ bio HL 6 aswell... I'm really happy with it ! So where do u live in Tanzania ? any close to Dar el Salem? Does ur school go to THIMUN ?

I live in Arusha, about 7 hours drive north of Dar Es Salaam, and go to school in Moshi, about 80 minutes east of Arusha. Our school goes to EAMUN in Nairobi, I went during my first year in IB but was too busy with coursework to go this year.

My offer, in addition to the 38 points, wanted 776 in HL subjects with a 7 in maths. I guess this is a fairly low offer, by Cambridge standards?
Yay, we're really lucky coz 38 is a good offer and mine is 7/6/6 HLs! I'm gonna be studying Land economy which is a very small department with max 40 students a year and i know anohter girl who got in wiht IB but her offer is 41 7/7/6 with maths HLs!
Reply 1295
Yeah, I'll have to get some serious practice in over the summer hehe! :smile:
Philip... was this block on the actual college grounds? If so then i know the place and i hate it with a passion. I want something with age... even if it means smaller, it must have age!
minimo
Yeah, I'll have to get some serious practice in over the summer hehe! :smile:

My favourite part of that poem is:

All lovers young, all lovers must
Consign to thee, and come to dust.
platinumki
I was planning on having a one-off fund of my own providing for 1st term one-offs. And I was hoping to spend less than that on accommodation!!! I asked for a cheap room!!!!

The accommodation estimate is about right, and don't forget on top of that you'll have £90ish in KFC per term, plus electricity and heating, plus internet costs. I'm trying to work out how much I spent last year...I started the year with £500 in my account, and ended up about £500 overdrawn; I got £3300 in loan, and £200 from my Grandpa. So actually, that works out (I think?) at spending about £4500 over the year! Oh - my parents paid my fees though; I don't know if yours are or not?

Bear in mind though, that I spent one term as a virtual hermit, rarely going out and not drinking at all (I had glandular fever and was on a three month drinking ban). This year I think I'll probably have spent considerably more :redface:
Reply 1299
mmm...I love it, its one of those poems that really touches you. I shortened the real poem though, partly because I really didn't like the last stanza - it seemed so incongruous, and partly because it would not fit into my sig!!

Latest

Trending

Trending