New Cambridge students October 2005: let's get to know each other! Watch

xx_ambellina_xx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by beeblebrox87)
Well I must say that is quite a persuasive factor, but there are awesome people in (some parts of) America too, I'm told.

accepted: Caltech, Columbia
waitlisted: Princeton, Williams, WashU
rejected: Harvard, Yale, MIT, Stanford

Agreed, US admissions departments are completely insane. I had 1570 on SATs, 800/800/770 on SAT2s, at Harvard I even had legacy, and it still wasn't enough for most of the US universities I applied to. That said, Caltech and Columbia are still awesome schools, and I'm staying on the waitlist for Princeton, so where to go will still be a difficult decision.
but eyes the awesomest!
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
Glaswegians is rather sexy though.
Vincent, you think ANYTHING is sexy:rolleyes:
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
Vincent, you think ANYTHING is sexy:rolleyes:
Anything that's not a computer is sexy enough for me.
minimo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have never visited any of these universities, except Cambridge for my interview, and I've obviously never attended any of them, so my "heart" is not very well informed. While league tables and propaganda publications and so forth are very biased and flawed, they are generally better informed about life at these universities than I am, so their advice is still valuable. I am also trying to find alumni to talk to, as even biased firsthand information can be useful in making a decision.
Well, all the really nice, friendly people, like me on TSR will make you want to come to Cambridge ...sorry if my other post sounded mad...'twas late
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
:eek: Glaswegian is barely English!
magicalsausage
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It really, REALLY isn't.

Maybe I'm just an Edinburgh snob, who knows....
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
:eek: Glaswegian is barely English!
Of course it's not. English is barely sexy :p:.
thistlerose
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
Peterhouse, Law

Hey! Ok, so im a bit late to catch on to this thread...but what the hell, here goes...

My name is Merav Levitan - but my middle name is Elian so I generally just go by Eli these days as it saves the mortification of the various hideous mispronunciations of Merav (Morag, Mervyn, Moraiv...the list goes on), and my birthday is 15/12/86

I come from away over the border, Glasgow to be precise - I went to the worlds most pretentious private school :rolleyes: and I did A-levels in Further Maths, Politics and French, and got ABC in my original results, meaning I got dumped by Tit Hall my original college....Thankfully my results got upgraded a month later to AAB and I reapplied and got in to Peterhouse :p:

Im currently on a Gap year in Israel studying Jewish Law and Philosophy amongst other things...

My favourite thing in the world is rock climbing, although I havent had much chance to practice it of late as the closest climbing centre to Jerusalem is in a particularly dodgy area of the West Bank...

Music-wise, im into pretty much anything I can dance to, but my favourite stuff is indie, goo-goo dolls, placebo, the chillies etc as well as some amazing israeli bands such as the Moshav and rockfour

As for going out i tend to be more of a pub than a club kind of person...although from time to time I just need to go dance...

what i look like...as everyone seems to be including it: 5"7 dirty blonde hair, hazel eyes, evil smile...

PS: leave off ****ging the the wegies!!!!!!!!!!
Simone de Beauv
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hey there! I was going to apply to Peterhouse when I went through my 'History of Art phase'- but then I decided on Corpus Christi for SPS. Peterhouse is so pretty, and I love how it's small too.
TakemetoAvalon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have never visited any of these universities, except Cambridge for my interview, and I've obviously never attended any of them, so my "heart" is not very well informed. While league tables and propaganda publications and so forth are very biased and flawed, they are generally better informed about life at these universities than I am, so their advice is still valuable. I am also trying to find alumni to talk to, as even biased firsthand information can be useful in making a decision.
I'd say Cambridge is 'better' than all of the Ivy League for one reason: It doesn't cost an absolute fortune to go there. Even if you're extremely intelligent, there's no big chance you are going to get into the IL because there are so few scholarships. You also require "national recognition", in the words of MIT admissions. It's such an incredibly unfair system, compared to British Universities, that I have little respect for the admissions processes at the "top American Schools". Of course you could argue that the introduction of top-up fees in England will hamper the efforts of poorer students to gain Oxbridge places, (and that much is true) however, the amount of support for less privileged is far greater than you find anywhere in the US. On top of that, student loans here (especially income-assessed) can cover nearly all the fees you will encounter as a student....
TakemetoAvalon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by thistlerose)
Peterhouse, Law

Hey! Ok, so im a bit late to catch on to this thread...but what the hell, here goes...

My name is Merav Levitan - but my middle name is Elian so I generally just go by Eli these days as it saves the mortification of the various hideous mispronunciations of Merav (Morag, Mervyn, Moraiv...the list goes on), and my birthday is 15/12/86

I come from away over the border, Glasgow to be precise - I went to the worlds most pretentious private school :rolleyes: and I did A-levels in Further Maths, Politics and French, and got ABC in my original results, meaning I got dumped by Tit Hall my original college....Thankfully my results got upgraded a month later to AAB and I reapplied and got in to Peterhouse :p:

Im currently on a Gap year in Israel studying Jewish Law and Philosophy amongst other things...

My favourite thing in the world is rock climbing, although I havent had much chance to practice it of late as the closest climbing centre to Jerusalem is in a particularly dodgy area of the West Bank...

Music-wise, im into pretty much anything I can dance to, but my favourite stuff is indie, goo-goo dolls, placebo, the chillies etc as well as some amazing israeli bands such as the Moshav and rockfour

As for going out i tend to be more of a pub than a club kind of person...although from time to time I just need to go dance...

what i look like...as everyone seems to be including it: 5"7 dirty blonde hair, hazel eyes, evil smile...

Respect: Don't forget the "great Weegie in the sky" in Platinumki's words.
platinumki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My name is Merav Levitan - but my middle name is Elian so I generally just go by Eli
That's the great thing about the internet - no one can mispronounce your name.

I come from away over the border, Glasgow to be precise - I went to the worlds most pretentious private school
Isn't that an oxymoron? Pretentious Glasgow school?

I appologise for this, but, as due to my own location, I am bilingual (English and Weegie), I feel I should speak to the newbie in her own language, that she may get the message.

Nut
platinumki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh, and Hello!!!

Avalon - only Biology investiagtion to finish writing up now :party: You?
French Pikachu
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
According to the Times Higher Education Supplement worldwide league tables, Caltech is ranked 4th worldwide, Cambridge 6th, and Columbia 19th. Though by ranking Oxford higher than Cambridge those tables have arguably thrown away all credibility.
Yeah but that's according to the Times! lol The Institute of Higher Education ( http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2004/top500list.htm ) places Cambridge 3rd, before Caltech and Columbia! :p: So come here ! Oupsi I'm not there yet...
xx_ambellina_xx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Peterhouse, Law

we puts what we looks like? thank god no-one knows what i looks like, else they'd turn to stone :
TakemetoAvalon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by platinumki)

I appologise for this, but, as due to my own location, I am bilingual (English and Weegie), I feel I should speak to the newbie in her own language, that she may get the message.

Nut
Actually, now I see it, (s)he said "wegies". Perhaps (s)he has an affinity with underwear pulling?
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Welcome to TSR newbie
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i have 138 posts so I feel old now hehe :rolleyes:
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by minimo)
Welcome to TSR newbie
LOL that's rich coming from you:p:
TakemetoAvalon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
LOL that's rich coming from you:p:
Heh, you're so old, you're beginning to look like the NHS visesh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads