god help me
trachea
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hey thought id introduce myself,

Economics at Magdalene AAA 2005

Name is Tristan, from Salisbury (its got a cathedral), go to a state grammar school that SOOOOOOOOO wants to be a public school, rugby and all that.

My life, pretty sad really, is sport orientated but im not one of those annoying ppl who talk about it all the time, i just play it - rugby, football, rowing, gym, squash blah blah blah.

Music, hip hop and not much else, im a wigga at heart. Like british stuff skitz etc and arty american stuff - the roots. Fav album: A Tribe Called Quest, Beats, Rhymes and Life.
trachea
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
thought id add my views on the US thing. As you can see below i was rejected by h and y. I completely agree with the extra currics holding too much weight. The culture in britain does not permit us to have loads of ec's ie looking at collegeconfidential.com scares the crap out of me.

Harvard rejects on this site, including me, cannot help but be annoyed when we see this http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/...2&page=7&pp=20 , look for the guy accepted to Harvard with 1230 on the SAT I.

Also there was a guy from Bristol who had lower scores and results than me who got in.

To the Ivy's credit especially Harvard and Yale now ask you to pay absolutely nothing if your parents earn less than 40,000 dollars. It is quite disappointing when ppl think i am loaded as i have applied to h and y. In fact the situation is the reverse, these two were the only ones which are rich enough to provide enough fin aid if i got in, they operate a need-blind policy to make it fairer. Whereas places like stanford state you are at a disadvantage if an international student and request financial aid.

What are your views minimo and the person from tanzania, how do ppl treat you or have many of your friends applie to the US. I was the first british student ever to do it from my school.
minimo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
LOL that's rich coming from you:p:
Well...I feel like i belong here now, it me second home
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A girl got to Harvard from my school a few years ago, she was rejected from Cambridge. She did a million and one E-Cs - i am serious. She did four A-Levels - good but nothing spectacular. I don't know her SAT scores but I do know that although she was not *the* best in the year group. People say that Oxbridge is a lottery, but the US is a far bigger lottery. With Oxbridge solid grades give you a decent chance. If you can write your essays in a tone that pleases their ear, then you may well prove successfu in the US, however. I could not access the link, I'm afraid, but I am hardly surprised at what you said. I wonder if HYP realise that one can easily fake their E-Cs. Also, in the US, IB is given far greater importance than A Levels. I hardly doubt they cared that I had a top 5 at GCSE.

In any case i am delighted with Cambridge, COZ WE ROCK!!
trachea
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
the link is working now minimo, look at why he got in, shocking but in no way surprising
platinumki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Tristan? bloody cool name. Congratulations. Could be my James Herirot fixation, but nevertheless, I would have let you into Harvard on your name alone.

EDIT: Is the swear filter not working? IF YOU ARE UNDER 16, READ WITH EYES CLOSED WHILST ESSENTIAL TESTING IS CARRIED OUT.

*******s.

EDIT 2: OH, it is working. Never mind then.
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Heh...what sad wannabe TSRers)
I don't wish to comment, I am so furious i can't talk. I'm shaking, seriously.
But I am not surprised. I feel sorry for the guy with 1510. I know that if I had applied only to the US I stood no chance whatsoever of getting into the Ivy League ie somewhere which ranked close to cambridge where i was capable of getting into in the UK. Not coz I'm dumb, but because the system is so flawed.
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes your name is tres posh...why didn't they let you into Trinity mate, there are so few Trinity economists around!!
Camford
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
We could persuade the makers of "Team America" to make a film called "Uni America" in the same fashion, that should be good.
TakemetoAvalon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
We could persuade the makers of "Team America" to make a film called "Uni America" in the same fashion, that should be good.
America! **** yeah! Going to save, the mother****ing world, America, **** Yeah! Freedom is the only way...

Trey Parker and Matt Stone are two seriously weird dudes....
_Ellie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ooh, I felt a bit shy but since Tristan (truly Oxbridge name, thar) was brave, I will follow suit.

I'm Ellie and I am hoping to do English at Queens' in October. It's odd. I'm not sure how up for Cambridge I really am as the interview was not fun like people said it would be. But anyhoo - it does look fun and you all seem like nice, slightly insane people so we will get along fine.

I like books, obv, being a prospective English student. I also write a little bit but try not to let that colour first impressions, I am not a tragic teen poet. I like film and music and going out for drinks (cocktails, if I can scrape the money together; pub if not), plus sitting around with friends and watching telly. Just generally monkeying about.

I do sincerely love music - I try not to be pretentious about it but I do. I think I am fairly open-minded but I like rock/alt/indie best. Just getting into the Velvet Underground but lately I've been listening to Nick Drake, Halloween Alaska, Broken Social Scene, Macy Gray, Grateful Dead, Ryan Adams, Sons & Daughters... My favourite albums (couldn't pick one) are Entroducing... by Dj Shadow & Blue by Joni Mitchell but (*waves at takemetoavalon*) I also love Jeff Buckley!

Ok, enough pretentious name-dropping.. Helloo.
trachea
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by minimo)
Yes your name is tres posh...why didn't they let you into Trinity mate, there are so few Trinity economists around!!

thats what i thought when i got pooled, i told my parents they had failed in the duty of naming their child with the sole aim of 18 yrs later securing me a place at trinity college, cambridge.

there are a couple of trinity economists on the UCAS Discussion forum on www.tutor2u.net , called Anil jain and cookie monster:

http://www.tutor2u.net/forum/topic.a...33&whichpage=6

go make some friends, ill always count myself about 8.554365% trinity and the rest magdalene.
xx_ambellina_xx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by _Ellie)
Ooh, I felt a bit shy but since Tristan (truly Oxbridge name, thar) was brave, I will follow suit.

I'm Ellie and I am hoping to do English at Queens' in October. It's odd. I'm not sure how up for Cambridge I really am as the interview was not fun like people said it would be. But anyhoo - it does look fun and you all seem like nice, slightly insane people so we will get along fine.

I like books, obv, being a prospective English student. I also write a little bit but try not to let that colour first impressions, I am not a tragic teen poet. I like film and music and going out for drinks (cocktails, if I can scrape the money together; pub if not), plus sitting around with friends and watching telly. Just generally monkeying about.

I do sincerely love music - I try not to be pretentious about it but I do. I think I am fairly open-minded but I like rock/alt/indie best. Just getting into the Velvet Underground but lately I've been listening to Nick Drake, Halloween Alaska, Broken Social Scene, Macy Gray, Grateful Dead, Ryan Adams, Sons & Daughters... My favourite albums (couldn't pick one) are Entroducing... by Dj Shadow & Blue by Joni Mitchell but (*waves at takemetoavalon*) I also love Jeff Buckley!

hehe that's because we ARE nice insane people. hiiiya!
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by trachea)
thats what i thought when i got pooled, i told my parents they had failed in the duty of naming their child with the sole aim of 18 yrs later securing me a place at trinity college, cambridge.

there are a couple of trinity economists on the UCAS Discussion forum on www.tutor2u.net , called Anil jain and cookie monster:

http://www.tutor2u.net/forum/topic.a...33&whichpage=6

go make some friends, ill always count myself about 8.554365% trinity and the rest magdalene.
I'M COOKIE MONSTER!!!!!! (Different nick hehe)

and Anil seems friendly but doesn't come online much...

I think you have a cool name, and mine isn't exactly simple either for that matter...neither of my interviewers could say it :eek: one mumbled something incomprehensible :eek:
TakemetoAvalon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by _Ellie)
Just getting into the Velvet Underground but lately I've been listening to Nick Drake, Halloween Alaska, Broken Social Scene, Macy Gray, Grateful Dead, Ryan Adams, Sons & Daughters... My favourite albums (couldn't pick one) are Entroducing... by Dj Shadow & Blue by Joni Mitchell but (*waves at takemetoavalon*) I also love Jeff Buckley!

Huzzah! a musik-person. Actually, I like the Grateful Dead too... humm.. I thought the DJ Shadow/ Zack De La Rocha collab. was cool.. humm. Velvet underground are great too...been listening to Lou Reed's solo albums lately.... they are great, but quite depressing
beeblebrox87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TakemetoAvalon)
I'd say Cambridge is 'better' than all of the Ivy League for one reason: It doesn't cost an absolute fortune to go there. Even if you're extremely intelligent, there's no big chance you are going to get into the IL because there are so few scholarships. You also require "national recognition", in the words of MIT admissions. It's such an incredibly unfair system, compared to British Universities, that I have little respect for the admissions processes at the "top American Schools". Of course you could argue that the introduction of top-up fees in England will hamper the efforts of poorer students to gain Oxbridge places, (and that much is true) however, the amount of support for less privileged is far greater than you find anywhere in the US. On top of that, student loans here (especially income-assessed) can cover nearly all the fees you will encounter as a student....
Since I'm an overseas student, I have to pay full Cambridge fees, which total over £15000 a year. Caltech is only $30000 a year, so it all works out about the same for me. I agree with you completely in theory, that education should be a right and that the way financial aid is allocated in the US is unfair, but it doesn't make that much difference in my particular case.

(Original post by French Pikachu)
Yeah but that's according to the Times! lol The Institute of Higher Education ( http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2004/top500list.htm ) places Cambridge 3rd, before Caltech and Columbia! :p: So come here ! Oupsi I'm not there yet...
I have my doubts about those rankings though... e.g. they rate the best schools in France (Ecole Polytechnique and Ecole Normale Superieur) at about 200th and 300th. Cambridge is still pretty clearly more prestigious internationally than Caltech, but I'm still not sure if Caltech might be a better place for undergrad study in at least some fields.

Once again, I agree that the US admissions system is totally flawed, and the emphasis on extracurriculars is ridiculous. (Note however that Caltech puts less emphasis on extracurrics than many other schools, which may be why I got in.)
TakemetoAvalon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by platinumki)

Avalon - only Biology investiagtion to finish writing up now :party: You?
You're scaring me with all this talk of 'finished'. Basically, physics has gone off to the SQA by now (hasn't yours too?), Bio and Chem have been written up by me this holiday. In that sense, they're finished, but they haven't been checked over by teachers. (who will hopefully make small changes..) Hum.
Oh yeh, Bio clocked in at 3,600 words (with an appendix). Day books need a little bit of polishing methinks.
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by beeblebrox87)
Since I'm an overseas student, I have to pay full Cambridge fees, which total over £15000 a year. Caltech is only $30000 a year, so it all works out about the same for me. I agree with you completely in theory, that education should be a right and that the way financial aid is allocated in the US is unfair, but it doesn't make that much difference in my particular case.

I have my doubts about those rankings though... e.g. they rate the best schools in France (Ecole Polytechnique and Ecole Normale Superieur) at about 200th and 300th. Cambridge is still pretty clearly more prestigious internationally than Caltech, but I'm still not sure if Caltech might be a better place for undergrad study in at least some fields.

Once again, I agree that the US admissions system is totally flawed, and the emphasis on extracurriculars is ridiculous. (Note however that Caltech puts less emphasis on extracurrics than many other schools, which may be why I got in.)
But you will end up paying less overall in the UK since the course is three years instead of four. In four years you could complete your MA in the UK.
platinumki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TakemetoAvalon)
You're scaring me with all this talk of 'finished'. Basically, physics has gone off to the SQA by now (hasn't yours too?), Bio and Chem have been written up by me this holiday. In that sense, they're finished, but they haven't been checked over by teachers. (who will hopefully make small changes..) Hum.
Oh yeh, Bio clocked in at 3,600 words (with an appendix). Day books need a little bit of polishing methinks.
they're all due in SQA headquarters (or whatever its called) by 28th April.

Last year, they had to drive them in, 5 minutes before the office closed - gotta love that organisation, eh?

Pretty much, I still have to write my day books :eek:

My physcis was over 40 pages long :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
66.29%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed