Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JHutcher)
    thats the one lol

i am all for welsh language, but its not useful as a bilingual language
    unless you actually live in wales, you wouldn't appreciate its usefulness. since the welsh language act, more welsh-speakers are demanding services in welsh, and it actually puts you at a disadvantage if you can't speak it. and it's the most beautiful language in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx_ambellina_xx)
    unless you actually live in wales, you wouldn't appreciate its usefulness. since the welsh language act, more welsh-speakers are demanding services in welsh, and it actually puts you at a disadvantage if you can't speak it. and it's the most beautiful language in the world.
    you can't work for the BBC in wales without welsh language... which sucks for the southerners who couldn't give a s**t

ReputationRep:
    you can't work for the BBC in wales without welsh language... which sucks for the southerners who couldn't give a s**t
    that's a sweeping generalisation of us southerners, many of whom do give a "s**t" as you so delicately put it.

ReputationRep:
    that's a sweeping generalisation of us southerners, many of whom do give a "s**t" as you so delicately put it.
    many don't though... thats true enough... and if they are forced to have welsh as a language for there own BBC then there is something wrong in that

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, I think the southern welsh girl is more of an authority on whether people in South Wales care about the Welsh language than the cockney*.

*Seeing as how we're generalising and using mistruths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottie)
    To be fair, I think the southern welsh girl is more of an authority on whether people in South Wales care about the Welsh language than the cockney*.

*Seeing as how we're generalising and using mistruths.
    no doubt... but its not as if i don't know southern welsh people... the fact remains that many don't care and shouldn't have to know the language to work for there own BBC.

But to be honest the comments were made in a light hearted way... nobody i really questionning the position of the welsh language as a language.

ReputationRep:
    many don't though... thats true enough... and if they are forced to have welsh as a language for there own BBC then there is something wrong in that
    why? if there's a demand for BBC correspondants who can speak welsh? it's useful for them to be bilingual, more than a person who speaks english. so why is it unfair to demand that people are suitably qualified for the job?

ReputationRep:
    I know you're not being funny or anything, but I find the concept interesting, so I'm gonna go into it.

Wales is essentially a bilingual country.
    England's national language is English. Would you expect to work for the BBC (England) if unable to speak English?
    I'd say that the answer is no, and so, why should you be able to work for the BBC (Wales) without speaking their national language?
    It'd be a bit unfair to go to Canada and expect everyone to speak to you in English, when French is also a language there, wouldn't it?

ReputationRep:
    no doubt... but its not as if i don't know southern welsh people... the fact remains that many don't care and shouldn't have to know the language to work for there own BBC.

But to be honest the comments were made in a light hearted way... nobody i really questionning the position of the welsh language as a language.
    you perhaps know a small section of welsh people, with the one thing in common - they don't care. i on the other hand, being southern welsh, know a larger section of the area's population, most of whom do care. and as far as i'm concerned they should need the language, as it's about fair representation of the welsh people, who have the right to services in their own language.

ReputationRep:
    Yes ok a right to services in there own language... last time i checked wales was still part of britain and English is still the official language of Britain.

What i object to is they all have to speak welsh in order to work for the BBC in wales... that is Every one. Which I believe is plainly wrong because non-welsh speakers can't then work for BBC Wales.

There should be services in welsh i agree... but they should make a distinction between welsh language BBC and welsh BBC.

ReputationRep:
    Yes ok a right to services in there own language... last time i checked wales was still part of britain and English is still the official language of Britain.

What i object to is they all have to speak welsh in order to work for the BBC in wales... that is Every one. Which I believe is plainly wrong because non-welsh speakers can't then work for BBC Wales.

There should be services in welsh i agree... but they should make a distinction between welsh language BBC and welsh BBC.
    welsh is in fact on a level with english as an official language.

ReputationRep:
    welsh is in fact on a level with english as an official language.
    I am sure its one of the official languages... but it isn't the working language of the country.

My main issue is with a BBC for wales excluding thousands of english speaking welsh from being employed in there service. It should open to those with one or both of those languages as both are spoken in wales; and the same applies to services.

ReputationRep:
    I am sure its one of the official languages... but it isn't the working language of the country.

My main issue is with a BBC for wales excluding thousands of english speaking welsh from being employed in there service. It should open to those with one or both of those languages as both are spoken in wales; and the same applies to services.
    but a bilingual person is an advantage. and why not employ someone with more advantageous skills for the job?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's lovely - I wish I spoke more Gaelic

ReputationRep:
    umm isnt Gaelic Irish? I thought the 'disagreement' was about Welsh (which I think sounds lovely )- I live in Irleand, but even htough I love the southern accent, I cant stand the sound of the Gaelic dialect- it just sounds so harsh, and looks pretty tricky to learn...

ReputationRep:
    but a bilingual person is an advantage. and why not employ someone with more advantageous skills for the job?
    sure there is an advantage... but to make it an absoulte rule seems slightly reidiculous.

ReputationRep:
    *takes her teacher's voice* OK kids lets brighten up this thread and get unto a more positive converstation that wont scare newbies and lurkers away! Hehe

ReputationRep:
    too true... moving on

ReputationRep:
    a different form of Gaelic is spoken in Scotland

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=86166

right, I'll be good now

I need more coat hangers. Does this ever happen to anyone else, where you run out of skirt hangers and trouser hangers, but have plently boring, ole straight ones? I may own too much stuff of course! How the hell am I going to get it to Cambridge!? :confused:

(better Pikachu? )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by platinumki)
    a different form of Gaelic is spoken in Scotland

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=86166

right, I'll be good now

I need more coat hangers. Does this ever happen to anyone else, where you run out of skirt hangers and trouser hangers, but have plently boring, ole straight ones? I may own too much stuff of course! How the hell am I going to get it to Cambridge!? :confused:

(better Pikachu? )
    Hop on the next train going to Cambridge, like I do, and you are sorted... with a lot of suitcases.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.