The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I would LOVE to waltz around pretending to be an austen character (well not a male one)
I am a Londoner... that just means i am at home in the city, but i long to have a house in the country.
I'm petrified of London- I find it so huge and frightening, I go to a school in a city, but even its in a very suburb area, nothing like London. But I do love the culture and the arts in London- there just seem to be so many cultures and nationalitites there which is amazing.
Simone de Beauv
I'm petrified of London- I find it so huge and frightening, I go to a school in a city, but even its in a very suburb area, nothing like London. But I do love the culture and the arts in London- there just seem to be so many cultures and nationalitites there which is amazing.

There is nothing to be frightened of. My fear is always of looking like a toruist in my own city, but i have found if you walk with determination even if you don't know where you are going your bound to find a tube station or a starbucks coffee shop both of which act as refuges in the city.

I live in the N-E suburbs which has to be the most featureless boring racist ignorant place on the planet.
I think i've had a very sheltered upbringing in a very rural area, and going to a v good all girls school- so in a way I don't think i've "lived" life truly. But I hate how when i'm in england and ppl ask where Im from (I dont have an irish accent) and I say ireland, they seen to exchange glaces as if im some member of a terrorist or sectarian organisation, when in rleaity I think I know less about the politics of irleand than many people in eng would know- they see it all in the news, thinking i live and see it every day, when the truth is i've never witnessed any kind of violence in 'real life'! :rolleyes:
Simone de Beauv
I think i've had a very sheltered upbringing in a very rural area, and going to a v good all girls school- so in a way I don't think i've "lived" life truly. But I hate how when i'm in england and ppl ask where Im from (I dont have an irish accent) and I say ireland, they seen to exchange glaces as if im some member of a terrorist or sectarian organisation, when in rleaity I think I know less about the politics of irleand than many people in eng would know- they see it all in the news, thinking i live and see it every day, when the truth is i've never witnessed any kind of violence in 'real life'! :rolleyes:

Well i remember the bomb down at canary whalf (spelling?) but thats about it. Irish have always been looked down upon in England for some unknown reason... but my area is very irish and i love the irish so i shouldn't let it bother you. I am sure its no worse than the snobbery surrounding the whole to-do around private/state schools, not that i am sure it exists.

Sheltered is ok to an extent... i think i've seen more than i wanted to
St Patricks day in cambridge was quite good 2 yrs ago, they celebrated it more there than they did in bfast! :p:
Simone de Beauv
St Patricks day in cambridge was quite good 2 yrs ago, they celebrated it more there than they did in bfast! :p:

sure they had a better tiem than I did on St Georges Day
Reply 1648
I like your sig Simone :smile:
Chaucer's The Wife of Bath :biggrin:
Reply 1650
hehe, I'm actually studying the Prologue right now, and she's by far my favourite pilgrim, never fails to make me laugh :biggrin:
The proiress is by far the best of all the pilgrims. The original essex girl
some of the things she says are just so shocking, it's brilliant!i'm also doing it for my english lit, think id be so embarased studying and discusisng it if I wasnt at all-girls school :p:
Reply 1653
in her wonderful Cockney French :wink:
Reply 1654
she's not so how shall we say 'risque' in the prologue, so things don't go out of hand in my class :p:
Simone de Beauv
some of the things she says are just so shocking, it's brilliant!i'm also doing it for my english lit, think id be so embarased studying and discusisng it if I wasnt at all-girls school :p:

I wouldn't worry literature is a distinctly female domain... 3 boys in a group of 13 in my school. But i am beginning to hate it.
It's so hilarious when someone says- "She didnt....she did... no- she said the 'c' word"[gasp]. And my eng teacher is a real feminist so its just so much fun in our class criticisng men and medieval society
Simone de Beauv
It's so hilarious when someone says- "She didnt....she did... no- she said the 'c' word"[gasp]. And my eng teacher is a real feminist so its just so much fun in our class criticisng men and medieval society

tenuous sexual links is what literatures about right? We prefer criticising the feble women (wife of bath excluded) and the way that they are never quite right.
lol I remember I was chatting to my ex on the phone one day and he came out with a really sexist comment on something to do with medieval lit and how their idea of women was right or something stupid like that, and I ended up slamming the phone down on him :rolleyes:
Simone de Beauv
lol I remember I was chatting to my ex on the phone one day and he came out with a really sexist comment on something to do with medieval lit and how their idea of women was right or something stupid like that, and I ended up slamming the phone down on him :rolleyes:

and here was me thinking the days of bra burning was over and we were entering into a retro-submissive-woman type culture... damn i'll have to put the pipe and carpet slippers back in the cupboard.

Latest

Trending

Trending