New Cambridge students October 2005: let's get to know each other! Watch

mctcdc0710
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Finnish guy)
Hi there! First of all, I'm new here and haven't had time to read all the hundreds of posts here... but I hope my reply still reaches you. I'm a soon (in September) 20-year-old guy from Finland (in Scandinavia, between Sweden and Russia, you know?), and I was admitted to Fitzwilliam to read Theology. I'm really keen on the subject and am looking forward to starting my in-depth studies of it. I've done my A levels or Matriculation Examination as we call it a year ago, having gained 7 grades comparable to an A. I recently got out of the army, having done my compulsory 9-month-long military service.
I went to a small (state - we hardly have the need of any private ones) sixth form, and my biggest concern is how I'll adapt to the Cambridge system and studying in English. I hope I'll manage, at least the people in charge of my admittance to Fitz seemed to think so. Do you all come from posh public schools where they have taught you to speak Greek and Latin fluently from age six? Or isn't my picture of a typical UK Cambridge student up-to-date?
I'm really glad I came across this website. Hope we'll have the chance to get to know each other here before the big day in the autumn! In deed, there are only about 50 new Theology students - how many of us are here, I wonder? If someone admitted to Fitz is reading this, please let me know about you.
Anyone, please react!
WELCOME!!!
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by minimo)
why do i have the honour of being on your sig?
It means I've got to rep you back
platinumki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Finnish guy - I promise that there will be plenty of people in Cambridge without private education and the ability to speak dead languages! I'm sure you will fit in - that seems to be the beauty, in that everyone (except the poster called Musicboy! ) seems to fit in. I'm sure your English will also suffice - the admissions tutors will be well aware of the level required.

The chances are that more people will understand you than me. I come from Scotland and have a strong accent all the silly people from London can't follow
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hi there! First of all, I'm new here and haven't had time to read all the hundreds of posts here... but I hope my reply still reaches you. I'm a soon (in September) 20-year-old guy from Finland (in Scandinavia, between Sweden and Russia, you know?), and I was admitted to Fitzwilliam to read Theology. I'm really keen on the subject and am looking forward to starting my in-depth studies of it. I've done my A levels or Matriculation Examination as we call it a year ago, having gained 7 grades comparable to an A. I recently got out of the army, having done my compulsory 9-month-long military service.
I went to a small (state - we hardly have the need of any private ones) sixth form, and my biggest concern is how I'll adapt to the Cambridge system and studying in English. I hope I'll manage, at least the people in charge of my admittance to Fitz seemed to think so. Do you all come from posh public schools where they have taught you to speak Greek and Latin fluently from age six? Or isn't my picture of a typical UK Cambridge student up-to-date?
I'm really glad I came across this website. Hope we'll have the chance to get to know each other here before the big day in the autumn! In deed, there are only about 50 new Theology students - how many of us are here, I wonder? If someone admitted to Fitz is reading this, please let me know about you.
Anyone, please react!
Welcome and well done

Some people come from posh public schools and have been taught Greek adn Latin from a young age, and some haven't, it's a big mix of lots of different peoples!
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yep, I can't speak any dead languages either..*sob*

*switches on Vatican radio to try and learn some Latin*
JHutcher
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Anyone, please react!
Hello!!!

No i went to a state school and am extremely poor, which is only an advantage when applying to university as far as i can tell. 7 A's blimey that sounds like hard work... I am aiming for 3A's but need grades AAB for theology at Jesus... but i already said that.

I am quite looking forward to the challenge of studying in formal english :rolleyes: having come from the east end .

I know were Finland is... but i didn't know they had compulaosry military service, not something i would take part in myself. No doubt that means your super fit and can run for the bus without getting out of breath... i fail on both accounts.

As far as I can tell, you need to be friendly and open minded... with a strong liver and the rest is purely academic

welcome again and carry on posting!
jd27
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
salve! *** sex anni essem, latinem dixit.

Yeah, right. although a fair proportion are from private school, Cambridge these days is about 50-50 state-private (less in fact with foreign students). Even those like myself from private schools aren't going to be posh/rich/arrogant (for the most part). Most of them will be just as poor as everyone else. Look forward to seeing you in October!
trachea
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Anyone, please react!
hei, mottakelse, im fornærme De sannsynlig ved å skrive dette i norweigan men de hadde ikke finnish på freetranslation com

thought i d make the effort to welcome you so i went to freetranslation.com and they only had english to norweigan but not finnish so this is the best i got. Im probably insulting you by getting it in norweigan as i have a danish friend who says scandinavian rivalry is intense. He said denmark and sweden is the big one. Im gonna stereotype and ask if you like ice hockey.
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jd27)
salve! *** sex anni essem, latinem dixit.

Yeah, right. although a fair proportion are from private school, Cambridge these days is about 50-50 state-private (less in fact with foreign students). Even those like myself from private schools aren't going to be posh/rich/arrogant (for the most part). Most of them will be just as poor as everyone else. Look forward to seeing you in October!
:eek::eek:
jd27
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
:eek::eek:
Now you know why its popularity is rising amongst immature people such as myself...
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
VISESH!!!! honestly, children these days.....
visesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I wouldn't be surprised if you're older than me
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I am heehee
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i was gonna give u rep but they said id given out too much in 24 hrs
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Disgusting boy!!!!!!!!

(in German we had to make up number plates and things for learning numbers and letters - I would always include 'G6'...
Camford
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Raphael~)
Disgusting boy!!!!!!!!

(in German we had to make up number plates and things for learning numbers and letters - I would always include 'G6'...
Can't blame you .... after all, you are the one who thinks having a noisy DVD drive implies the posession of a vibrator.
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
Can't blame you .... after all, you are the one who thinks having a noisy DVD drive implies the posession of a vibrator.
:eek: I just wondered how you knew it sounded like one :eek:

Back me up, Visesh!
visesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
hey, you said it sounded like one. we all know how pervy raph is...
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
hey, you said it sounded like one. we all know how pervy raph is...
:bawling: I'm just colourful...
visesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Raphael~)
:bawling: I'm just colourful...
same thing really:p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.29%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.92%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.79%

Watched Threads