New Cambridge students October 2005: let's get to know each other! Watch

Finnish guy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by minimo)
yep I'm definitely going to join...what voice are you?
a tough question... I am a confident baritone, but my singing teacher thought I could become a tenor, too, with practice. As a tenor it would be easier to get into a choir, I hear. And you?
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeah its the general priesthood taken to the extreme... and don't be afraid to ask any questions, its my faith and i have to be able to defend it otherwise whats the point lol.

We don't quake... and never really have, it was more of a reference to the shaking created by some people being nervous before giving ministry in our services... the name comes from a judge who said that we ought to quake from the fear of the lord for our sins... or something like that.

We have chaplains for universities and for prisons, but as pacifists there aren't any quakers in the armed forces so none there... but our chaplains fulfil a purely facilitating role.

umm thats about it... i should add that we have no baptism or communion... saying that we also have many catholic/anglican members of the faith as well as some that might be considered more athiest.

Its a religion in the trues sense of the word... a way to live your life.

And for those reading this let me add that we may be a little freaky but we are very friendly and don't evangelise you'll be happy to note.
minimo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i'm a soprano
platinumki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm quite intrigued actually - what do you mean by "a way to live your life?" Simply the good ole 'love thy neighbour, do unto others' etc values universal to other denominations, or something more specific?
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i'm a soprano
OMG you're Italian mafia?! :eek:
Finnish guy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JHutcher)
yeah its the general priesthood taken to the extreme... and don't be afraid to ask any questions, its my faith and i have to be able to defend it otherwise whats the point lol.

We don't quake... and never really have, it was more of a reference to the shaking created by some people being nervous before giving ministry in our services... the name comes from a judge who said that we ought to quake from the fear of the lord for our sins... or something like that.

We have chaplains for universities and for prisons, but as pacifists there aren't any quakers in the armed forces so none there... but our chaplains fulfil a purely facilitating role.

umm thats about it... i should add that we have no baptism or communion... saying that we also have many catholic/anglican members of the faith as well as some that might be considered more athiest.

Its a religion in the trues sense of the word... a way to live your life.

And for those reading this let me add that we may be a little freaky but we are very friendly and don't evangelise you'll be happy to note.
Ok, that's very interesting. No baptism, no communion, no evangelising. You know, baptism and the Lord's supper are our sacraments and very important factors in Lutheranism. We believe baptism is - together with faith - necessary for salvation and that without (somewhat regularly) receiving the true body and blood of Christ in communion one's faith looses its sound basis. But what do we have in common? General priesthood. What about the high authority of the Bible over tradition, or 'sola scriptura'? What else? How old is your denomination? I'd guess it dates back to the 17th century...?
Finnish guy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i'm a soprano
Right. You're a girl. Should have known that. What's your subject?
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yes 1600 and something... a response to the english civil war.

Whats difficult to say about quakerism is what we actually believe as a unit. Quakerism holds only a few things to be important... and nothing to be essential in living within a christian community... it is because of this lack of doctrine and dogma that many seek a more strict theological basis to there faith... for example i come from a catholic background and probably agree more with catholic theology.

We don't have baptism of water because the idea is that spiritual baptism is much more important... in fact for a purist quaker spiritual baptism is the only true kind.

The priesthood does take the form of elders and overseers but they perform a practical function and in no way are involved in worship other than as equal members of the group.

The quakers hold the bible to be an aid in seeking God, but the main concept behind the movement is that of listening to what we can hear of God within us. You will hear quakers talking about "that of God in everyone"... this can be translated as the holy spirit... a high guide to life that if we learn to be quite, will guide us.

Our way of life is essentially christian, and is focused around our silent prayer (silent but not quite that is). We hold peace truth and love to be very important in our way of life.

To live as a quaker or in the quaker way is simply to seek that of God in everyone... finding the light of christ in others... cheesy but it works.

This is vastly generalised as we are more of a community of people seeking God as opposed to a denomination with rules and doctrine.

I will probably become an anglican at some point... but i will attend quaker worhsip and take quaker principles with me.

it might be easier to consider quakerism as an order or religious people attached to the christian church as a whole... an order that can be joined by those of any church and none.

very long and not very informative i fear.
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by platinumki)
I'm quite intrigued actually - what do you mean by "a way to live your life?" Simply the good ole 'love thy neighbour, do unto others' etc values universal to other denominations, or something more specific?
we are mostly pacfist, we mostly worship in silent, we don't have sacrements, we explore faith through individual experience.

its the individualist approach to christianity.
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Raphael~)
OMG you're Italian mafia?! :eek:
However did you know? ...honestly...some people don't let you hide form Interpol in peace :rolleyes:

(Original post by Finnish guy)
Right. You're a girl. Should have known that. What's your subject?
Economics
French Pikachu
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I hate bio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bawling: that was the worst paper ever! :bawling: and tomorrow is gonna be even worse! :bawling:
platinumki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by French Pikachu)
I hate bio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bawling: that was the worst paper ever! :bawling: and tomorrow is gonna be even worse! :bawling:
aw baby - do you know how you did? (I tend to walk out of exams knowing within one or two marks)

Justin - thank you. I am shocked by my own ignorance. :p:
Camford
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by platinumki)
aw baby - do you know how you did? (I tend to walk out of exams knowing within one or two marks)

Justin - thank you. I am shocked by my own ignorance. :p:
I tend to walk out the examination chamber not remember anything.
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
cheer up!! *hugs*
khil
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ok, that's very interesting. No baptism, no communion, no evangelising. You know, baptism and the Lord's supper are our sacraments and very important factors in Lutheranism. We believe baptism is - together with faith - necessary for salvation and that without (somewhat regularly) receiving the true body and blood of Christ in communion one's faith looses its sound basis. But what do we have in common? General priesthood. What about the high authority of the Bible over tradition, or 'sola scriptura'? What else? How old is your denomination? I'd guess it dates back to the 17th century...?
Out of interest, seeing as the Bible never said baptism is required to be saved, rather it is "whoever believes", and "by God's Grace" and "by Jesus' death on the cross" that we're saved - why would you believe without baptism, one's soul is not saved?

And with the - is it the Quakers? - seeing as God's forgiven you by Grace, why would you tremble with fear? God is gentle. You should be in awe of Him - you should fear Him in that sense - not actually be scared of Him - He's your Father in Heaven.
khil
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Awwwww *big huggles* You'll be fine Biology isn't that hard! Just relax, have lots of sleep tonight - and I take it your exam is tomorrow seeing as it'll be worse then? - Good luck!

*hugs again* you'll be all right Pika
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by irisng)
Out of interest, seeing as the Bible never said baptism is required to be saved, rather it is "whoever believes", and "by God's Grace" and "by Jesus' death on the cross" that we're saved - why would you believe without baptism, one's soul is not saved?

And with the - is it the Quakers? - seeing as God's forgiven you by Grace, why would you tremble with fear? God is gentle. You should be in awe of Him - you should fear Him in that sense - not actually be scared of Him - He's your Father in Heaven.
as i said it was a nickname given to us... it was said that we should tremble from the fear of God for our herecy... that and the nerves you get when standing in a silent meeting to give ministry.
khil
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JHutcher)
as i said it was a nickname given to us... it was said that we should tremble from the fear of God for our herecy... that and the nerves you get when standing in a silent meeting to give ministry.
I don't think we should "tremble" in the sense of fear. Why should you feel afraid when you're completely forgiven, when you're made as white as snow by the Lord? - quoting from Isaiah, where God says "come, let us argue this out - though you're red as scarlet, I'll wash you as white as snow." There is no need to be afraid of the Lord - there is however a need to be in awe of Him and fear in the sense of respect.

And yeh I know what you mean about nerves... I don't like speaking up front at all - when I'm on stage my voice just goes quiet when I'm normally such a loud person lol.

But ok if it's just a nickname that's fine. It's just the theology of it I disagree with - I have no problems with nicknames
crana9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
iris, stfu.
Wasp39
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
a tough question... I am a confident baritone, but my singing teacher thought I could become a tenor, too, with practice. As a tenor it would be easier to get into a choir, I hear. And you?
I'd really like to join a choir too, but a fairly informal one. I'm not a brilliant singer because I've never had lessons, so it's difficult for me to get in a good choir. I think I'm probably a baritone, though more often than not I (try) to sing tenor (and drop out when it goes much above an F or G) Anyone know of any friendly little ensembles then?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads