New Cambridge students October 2005: let's get to know each other! Watch

French Pikachu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by platinumki)
and the Glass Menagerie

dramatic tension/ failure of dreams/ escape into fantasy/ the world's most wanky stage directions blah, blah, blah
better than a comparative essay between streetcar and doll's house by henrik ibsen!
Simone de Beauv
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I did streetcar last year and I recently read menagerie- I absolutely love them both, would love to be studying them again this year instead of boring farquhar- williams' is brilliant!
platinumki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I like Ibsen!!!

(Williams is a tosser who wrote stage directions for publication rather than performance, which gets up my nose. But then again, Brando and that T-shirt.... Sure, Stanley's a git, but he could symbolise the primative face of the new, virile immigrant America all he liked to me )
khil
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
English.... hmmm... not great. I really wanted to write an essay on Donne and the metaphysicals, but the question didn't fit, so I had to do Tennessee Williams whom I loathe. Nevertheless, the essay wasn't awful and theoretically I could have failed the exam and still comfortably got an A as 70% of the mark is decided on a dissertation and a folio of creative writing.

Biology on Wednesday.... oh dear, an exam that actually matters :p: I just did a past paper and got 84% though - easily an A.
Why do you loath Tennessee Williams? I quite liked the Glass Menegerie.

Although my teachers all have a real talent at putting people off their subject - Doc is the only one who's managed to make me like a subject without my naturally being born to love it in the first place. The rest have all managed to make me hate the subject they teach.
French Pikachu
Rep:
?
I like Ibsen!!!

(Williams is a tosser who wrote stage directions for publication rather than performance, which gets up my nose. But then again, Brando and that T-shirt.... Sure, Stanley's a git, but he could symbolise the primative face of the new, virile immigrant America all he liked to me )
I agree Brando is so hot in that movie... watched it again just last week before my exams! And i know what you mean about stage directions they are so long and descriptive, like Blanche ressembling a moth, how on earth is a stage director suppose to show that? :rolleyes:
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by French Pikachu)
I agree Brando is so hot in that movie... watched it again just last week before my exams! And i know what you mean about stage directions they are so long and descriptive, like Blanche ressembling a moth, how on earth is a stage director suppose to show that? :rolleyes:
don't you have work to do?:p:
~Raphael~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
Go tidy the lawn
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Raphael~)
Go tidy the lawn
I actually started watering it, and fell asleep. When I woke up an hour later it was suitably moist.
French Pikachu
Rep:
?
I'm gone back to studying I promise... but hope u've been a good boy though!
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I hate all my lit authors except wilde

thats:

Chaucer, who i hope died a painful death
Milton, who deserved to go blind
Gibbons, who isn't funny
Austen, needs a good shag
Miller, depressed me
Williams, who also needs a shag

sure there are more... i loathe english lit why oh why do i bother
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I actually started watering it, and fell asleep. When I woke up an hour later it was suitably moist.
hehe sleeping is so gooooooood
Simone de Beauv
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JHutcher)

thats:

Gibbons, who isn't funny
Miller, depressed me

aggr blasphemy! English Lit is amazing, wish I was doing it last year instead of blo*dy SPS
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I love books and i love analysing them.. but english is ritual burning of some great pieces of english.

Its blasphemy to rip them apart in the psycho-homoertoic-post-modern-classical-garbage way we do!!!
Simone de Beauv
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
oooh I love the homo eroticism, it makes it all the more interesting, that's why I loved StreetCar so much- wouldnt it be amazing to act the part of Blanche!
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Stelllllllaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
he he he

i think i would prefer the role of satan in paradise lost
khil
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JHutcher)

thats:

Gibbons, who isn't funny
Miller, depressed me

Chaucer - I studied A Miller's Tale last year - my teacher Mr Fricker made me loath the book You see, he gave us details of his sex life while telling us what a wonderful kiss Absolon had with Alison... yeh I hated Chaucer cus of Fricker.

Although when I'd revised and read through Miller's Tale on my own, it wasn't really that bad Still not got a good impression of it though. Blame Mr Fricker.
platinumki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
whoa... how brilliant was Dr Who? Not for him the sky that shows around the dim white building is a peculiarly tender bue... which invests the scene with a sense of lyricism and gracefully attenuates the atmosphere of decay

I can just hear the Doctor now...

"Yep, sky's blue, alright."
Wasp39
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
whoa... how brilliant was Dr Who? Not for him the sky that shows around the dim white building is a peculiarly tender bue... which invests the scene with a sense of lyricism and gracefully attenuates the atmosphere of decay

I can just hear the Doctor now...

"Yep, sky's blue, alright."
I've not watched any of them I keep meaning to, but always forget. Still they'll be out on DVD one day.
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ooh, Streetcar, I did it for AS too...I really enjoyed the question we were though set about whether ot not the play was a tragedy. Blanche, however, I found extremely annoying, silly girl.

Righto, since I'm prone to forgetting...
Platinumki and Pikachoo (and yes I like the double o spelling!!) Good luck with your exams guys...
Raph - Best of luck for the History, do tell us how it goes! I'm leaving you a virtual pressy to keep you going during your last minute revision...I happen to know you like cookies young man (and the rest of you no nibbling now!!)
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (35)
25.18%
No (104)
74.82%

Watched Threads