The Student Room Group

Best city for drum and bass scene..?

I'm quite into my music, love a bit of drum and bass or dubstep and i'm hoping that whichever city I end up in at uni next year will have a good dnb scene..

Where are the best cities in the UK for drum and bass?

Anyone know what the drum and bass scene is like in..

- Manchester
- Liverpool
- Birmingham
- Nottingham
- Leeds?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Leeds is brilliant, there's tons of clubs and loads of top acts come up. Aside from dnb there's loads of house and electro as well. You'll never be short of a night out that's for sure.
Reply 2
Nottingham has a decent drum n bass AND dubstep scene. You've got Detonate, which has had pretty much all the big players DJing there at some point, and is a pretty regular event. Then you've got Kombination Funk at Blueprint, which plays a nice mix of 'commercial' and more underground DnB (and Blueprint is an awesome club too, in a grimey sort of way). And Dubstep-wise, there's Misst @ The Garvey once a month, which is always very popular.

I lived in Notts for 3 years and loved every minute of it. The dance music scene in particular is awesome :smile:
Reply 3
Essex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 4
Wicked, this is all good news :smile:

I only come from a little town so can't wait to rave it up in a big city.. although saying that my town has got a nice little club that has attracted some big names like Drum and Bass Arena, Nicky Blackmarket, LTJ Bukem, Commix and soon to be Chase and Status..
Reply 5
Aside from london, which is obviously quality, Bristol is probably the best city in the country for DnB and dubstep. Big nights on every week, and even in some of the tiny clubs you get massive DJs. There's a tiny club called native which is just down some side street, but i've seen Hazard, roni size, caspa, scratch perverts, grooverider etc play there
Reply 6
I went out in Brighton a few weeks ago and I loveddd the city just the whole feel of it the dnb/dubstep scene there is pretty hot too!
Reply 7
f.burton

I only come from a little town so can't wait to rave it up in a big city.. although saying that my town has got a nice little club that has attracted some big names like Drum and Bass Arena, Nicky Blackmarket, LTJ Bukem, Commix and soon to be Chase and Status..

I'm curious, this town doesnt happen to be in Hertfordshire does it?
Bristol
Reply 9
the uni of sheffield has a drum and bass night every week and has had some of the best names so if its a uni your looking for i would highly reccomend that.
if i liked drum n bass i would be in my element
Reply 10
f.burton

Hitchin? Hardly likely the to live in the same small town but all those acts have passed through where I live too. Just a weird coincidence if it is.

ANYWAY Leeds is awesome for that sort of thing, but the only one I've experienced myself tbh. Heard good things from Birmingham too though.
I would suggest Bristol, I know Liverpool's is practically non-existant.
Reply 12
fargo89
Hitchin? Hardly likely the to live in the same small town but all those acts have passed through where I live too. Just a weird coincidence if it is.

Haha exactly what i was thinking!
Birmingham is really good for Drum and Bass. I heard Bristol is good, but there is a certain area in Birmingham that is mostly Drum and Bass events all the time (Custard Factory). Plus you got Air and Q Club and Ravelogy which was founded in Birmingham.
Reply 14
Birmingham Rum 'n' Paste nights supposedly have the best atmosphere in the country. Much less rowdiness than your average event of that kind :smile:
Reply 15
I was talking about Hitchin..!
Reply 16
I thought you wanted to know which cities were the best? I'm confused :|
Reply 17
I've always thought it to be Bristol.
Reply 18
f.burton
I was talking about Hitchin..!

I'm guessing Penthouse? That place compared to any of the clubs in Leeds is laughable! The come down/chill out parties are more hardcore.
I'm quite happy with Southampton tbh, already seen Chase and Status, Scratch Perverts, and off at a tangent, Pendulum and DJ Luck & MC Neat.

Quick Reply