This discussion is closed.
Womble548
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
We have a choice, which would you choose and why?
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
D2 because constant pure maths may get a bit boring. Also, i found d1 interesting and the most easiest module so far.
SsEe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I would choose P6 because I like pure. D2 seems easier than D1 but it still has the simplex algorithm in game theory. P6 expands on what you've already done (complex numbers and vectors) and introduces new stuff like expansions of things like sin(x) into polynomials, matricies, differential equations (a new method) and proof by induction.
ThePenguinMafia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
D2 is easier than P3, so I would assume that it would be easier than P6 aswell. P6 is primarily for further maths students, and as such it is designed to be harder than D2; which is essentially just a part of the maths A level syllabus.

I'd go for D2 purely becuase I believe anybody, unless fantastic at Pure but not so good at applie, would find it easier than P6.
Ben C
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SsEe)
I would choose P6 because I like pure. D2 seems easier than D1 but it still has the simplex algorithm in game theory. P6 expands on what you've already done (complex numbers and vectors) and introduces new stuff like expansions of things like sin(x) into polynomials, matricies, differential equations (a new method) and proof by induction.
Is your P6 really that easy? We did all that at P4 (MEI), except for the harder differential equations. Now we're onto the delights of limits and the "foundations of calculus", multivariable calculus (in 3D), differential geometry and group, field and vector space theory.

It's going to be Hard. Having said that, it's the first work in ages that I actually enjoy...
amo1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i think p6 will be more interesting but d2 is easier
-G-a-v-
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm doing D2 at the minute, it sucks - it seems easier than D1, but tis so boring. I'd stick to Pure Maths, much more interesting. OK, the practical applications are possibly a bit harder to see, but - hey Pure is still more interesting :p: - so yeah I'd definitely do Pure, though I've seen P6 and it looks scary. Oh well. Pure rocks
amo1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
in retospec i think i find p6 easier than p5 so its not impossible
iluvcheesecake
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by nas7232)
D2 because constant pure maths may get a bit boring.
Pure maths, boring?! :confused: I'd have thought it was the most intersting as it is so varied and is the foundations of all that is maths. D1 is okay, but it doesn't really seem like maths.

I'm really enjoying P6 atm, it's difficult in places, but rewarding when you get things right, and yeah, I agree with the person who said that it's easier than P5.

Depends what you're thinking of doing afterwards. If you want to do maths at uni, I'd say do P6 as it will be good preparation for your course.
Womble548
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Gonna have to be D2. I know I will find P6 more interesting but I need an A in Further Maths so Im going to go for the easy option.

Just have to wait to learn about matrices, expansions of sinx etc until next year
Gauss
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you are doing Edexcel I recommend go for P6. Not only is it more interesting, but if you're a Pure Mathematician you will find it much easier than D2.

The beauty of matrices is non-pareil.

Galois.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'd say D2. Are there any exam boards that do a whole GCE 'A' level in discrete maths?
-G-a-v-
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I doubt it - I think the only Maths A-levels available now under the new system are Maths, Pure Maths and Further Maths - but if you take 15 or 18 units, u can get another AS or A-level in 'Additional Further Maths'. Also, i think there's only 2 Decision Maths modules available. I know on Edexcel there's only D1 and D2.
KingAS
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeah i m doin both of them as well... it depends on wht u wanna major in as well, if its computing, computor science go fo the decision maths.

if its a math degree, engineering or the like P6..

in terms of difficulty, i found D2 far easier...
BCHL85
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I chose P6 cuz I find it with alot of new interesting things. But I've never tried D ... I think each has its own attraction.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, there is AS Discrete for Edexcel but that's it. Shame really. So much for the new system to broaden knowledge. :rolleyes:
pepperpot80
Report 14 years ago
I have to say D2. I don't know the Further Maths Pure modules that well at all; I believe that D2 is fairly quick and easy to pick up, and if you're in interested, it has plenty of application and background to take interest in. Also, it broadens your awareness of the topic slightly, and the introductions to Game Theory are fascinating *if* they're taught well. If you're considering P6, I can't see why you'd have any problems with Simplex/Game Theory.... it's just a case of arranging the tableaux slightly differently.

My $0.02 .
posh_git
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol i would say P6...simple cos im doing it @ the min!!!!! hee hee.

just started it and am on OCR: doing vector equations of planes yay lol. it doesn't seem that bad.....but i said that about P3.....eeeEEKKK lol awaiting results for the january exam!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (94)
24.35%
No (292)
75.65%

Watched Threads