The Student Room Group

Help in understanding what I can apply for

Hello! I started University back in 2019, and completed my first year in Forensics. However at the time I had been commuting to University, and with Covid happening, it caused me to not get along with my second year (Long story short, one of my modules wasn't do-able and so I would of had to redo the year, so I decided not to return).

I've since spent my time working and I want to go back to University to study, but this time to do Chemistry. I read somewhere that I should have 3 years of finance left for my degree, so I wanted to fact check that before continuing with my application.

To explain, I used two of my years, however since I am going back to do a different subject, I believe I saw that I get an extra year of funding to help. Is that true? If not, what are my options to fund the third year?

Thanks for your time!

EDIT: This is also for 24/25, which I know is very early but I just want to make sure I'm not getting my hopes up
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by 1Degree
Hello! I started University back in 2019, and completed my first year in Forensics. However at the time I had been commuting to University, and with Covid happening, it caused me to not get along with my second year (Long story short, one of my modules wasn't do-able and so I would of had to redo the year, so I decided not to return).

I've since spent my time working and I want to go back to University to study, but this time to do Chemistry. I read somewhere that I should have 3 years of finance left for my degree, so I wanted to fact check that before continuing with my application.

To explain, I used two of my years, however since I am going back to do a different subject, I believe I saw that I get an extra year of funding to help. Is that true? If not, what are my options to fund the third year?

Thanks for your time!

EDIT: This is also for 24/25, which I know is very early but I just want to make sure I'm not getting my hopes up

With 2 years of previous study your first year on a new degree would be unfunded unless you can provide evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons for failing your second year in 2020/21. Unfunded means no tuition fee loans for that year, you would still get a maintenance loan in that first year.

Alternatively the rules on previous study for part time study are more generous. If you can find a part time degree then you would get funding for every year of a new course with 2 years of previous study.
Original post by PQ
With 2 years of previous study your first year on a new degree would be unfunded unless you can provide evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons for failing your second year in 2020/21. Unfunded means no tuition fee loans for that year, you would still get a maintenance loan in that first year.

Alternatively the rules on previous study for part time study are more generous. If you can find a part time degree then you would get funding for every year of a new course with 2 years of previous study.

Original post by 1Degree

Thanks for your time!

Hi there, I can see PQ has responded to your query. Any further questions then do let us know. Thanks, Jason
Reply 3
Original post by PQ

Hi, sorry for the late response and thank you both so much for replying.

I did some research after posting and found that out, but I'm glad to get it verified also. If I can ask, will I be entitled to a regular maintenance loan or will it be reduced due to funding my tuition fee?
Original post by 1Degree
Hi, sorry for the late response and thank you both so much for replying.

I did some research after posting and found that out, but I'm glad to get it verified also. If I can ask, will I be entitled to a regular maintenance loan or will it be reduced due to funding my tuition fee?

Hi there,

You'll get a regular Maintenance Loan, yes - this isn't affected by you being entitled to the Tuition Fee Loan or not, rest assured.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 5
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

You'll get a regular Maintenance Loan, yes - this isn't affected by you being entitled to the Tuition Fee Loan or not, rest assured.

Thanks, Graeme

Brilliant, thank you for your time Graeme!
Original post by 1Degree
Brilliant, thank you for your time Graeme!

You're welcome, have a lovely day. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending