The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends on the circumstances. I do believe that it should be allowed in the UK and that a terminally ill patient has the right to die in peace and in their own time.
frost105
Depends on the circumstances. I do believe that it should be allowed in the UK and that a terminally ill patient has the right to die in peace and in their own time.

and it shouldn't be a selfish act because their loved ones should be able to see they are in pain.
Reply 3
saiyamana
and it shouldn't be a selfish act because their loved ones should be able to see they are in pain.

It wouldnt be selfish no. If they are terminally ill it means that you can plan your death and be with your loved ones.
Reply 4
angel D
i belive that euthanasia is a kind and considerate act.
i think that people who wish to commit suicide should be able to.

any one disagre or agree what are your views on this?

I am completely against euthanasia. There is always the possibility that the sick person will make a full and miraculous recovery.
Reply 5
Moncal
I am completely against euthanasia. There is always the possibility that the sick person will make a full and miraculous recovery.

The problem is the chance of that possibility occuring.
Reply 6
The entire premise of euthanasia is workable in theory, but the problems occur when you actually put it into practice.
What is to stop someone killing someone by injecting them with a lethal drug or something similar and then claiming they asked to die?
Reply 7
wiwarin_mir
The entire premise of euthanasia is workable in theory, but the problems occur when you actually put it into practice.
What is to stop someone killing someone by injecting them with a lethal drug or something similar and then claiming they asked to die?

doctors already to its called compulsive euthanasia
Reply 8
PadFoot90
The problem is the chance of that possibility occuring.

extraordinary recoveries happen all the time. Just the other day there was a guy that should have been killed in a train crash in LA. He was walking again yesterday.
Reply 9
wiwarin_mir

I would suggest centres or specially trained nurses and that injection would have to be done in the presence of 2 witnesses.
frost105
I would suggest centres or specially trained nurses and that injection would have to be done in the presence of 2 witnesses.

So we have state run euthanasia then, fair enough, but what about people who cannot give consent?
Reply 11
Moncal
extraordinary recoveries happen all the time. Just the other day there was a guy that should have been killed in a train crash in LA. He was walking again yesterday.

and what percent of people considering eutranasia will make a extraordinary recovery?
One thing that must be remembered is that you cannot reverse euthanasia so unlike a misscarriage of justice, cases where the person did not want to die cannot be corrected.
Reply 13
wiwarin_mir
So we have state run euthanasia then, fair enough, but what about people who cannot give consent?

Then procedure wouldnt be able to be carried out. Unless there was a living will then treatment would be able to be seized.
frost105
Then procedure wouldnt be able to be carried out. Unless there was a living will then treatment would be able to be seized.

therefore the previous right to choose if a relative should be allowed to die.
Reply 15
wiwarin_mir
therefore the previous right to choose if a relative should be allowed to die.

I'm unsure of allowing next of kin to allow euthanasia in cases where the individual is unable to decide for themselves. If living will is 6 months valid than the wishes of that will should be upheld.
Moncal

You tell the person that is in searing agony that he has a chance less than winning the lottery of becoming pain free and let them slap you in the face.
Moncal

Rubbish
the crash should have kille him
falling 6 stories should have killed him
etc
Are NOTHING comapred to immense agony, and tumour riddled organs.
miracles DONT happen in these cases
Reply 18
foolfarian
You tell the person that is in searing agony that he has a chance less than winning the lottery of becoming pain free and let them slap you in the face.
Skilled treatment with pain-killers can reduce pain in many cases, at least until people are ready to die. Can't remember the stages in approaching death which nearly all sick people go through, but the last one is acceptance and willingness.
The real dilemma comes with mental illness: is someone with profound and incurable depression entitled to kill themselves? Would their desire for death be euthanasia or a symptom of their illness.
Reply 19
Weejimmie

The real dilemma comes with mental illness: is someone with profound and incurable depression entitled to kill themselves? Would their desire for death be euthanasia or a symptom of their illness.

In these cases the person would have to be assessed as to whether they were able to understand and give an informed decision. If they were unable to then I wouldnt think they would be able to decide.

Latest

Trending

Trending