This discussion is closed.
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by frost105)
In these cases the person would have to be assessed as to whether they were able to understand and give an informed decision. If they were unable to then I wouldnt think they would be able to decide.
Yeah - but in the case where a person is judged not able to give their decision because of mental incapacity, the proposed law (Mental Incapacity Act) allows for a 'power of attorney' type of situation where another makes that decision about them.
frost105
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
Yeah - but in the case where a person is judged not able to give their decision because of mental incapacity, the proposed law (Mental Incapacity Act) allows for a 'power of attorney' type of situation where another makes that decision about them.
In the case of euthazia we would have to ensure that would not be allowed
yawn
Report 14 years ago
We only have to look as far as the Abortion Act to see that 'safeguards built in' are eroded in time. So if this act follows the Abortion Act, the rights of the person will not be protected in the long-term.

BTW - I liked your Amnesty avatar - what happened to it?
Weejimmie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes, but the suffering in severe depression is every bit as real and every bit as great as the suffering in cancer- are you saying the first affects a person's judgment and the second doesn't?
Niaya
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
i talking more about wether people think it is selfish of someone to want euthanasia when they are terminally ill or wether people think its for the best. im not talking about the law i would like to know peoples moral views on the issue and any experience people hav had concerning euthanasia.
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Weejimmie)
Yes, but the suffering in severe depression is every bit as real and every bit as great as the suffering in cancer- are you saying the first affects a person's judgment and the second doesn't?
I'm not saying the suffering isnt as severe but that depression has a good success rate at treatment where as someone with terminal cancer will die and euthasia will give them the right to die in dignity.
idiopathic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by angel D)
i talking more about wether people think it is selfish of someone to want euthanasia when they are terminally ill or wether people think its for the best. im not talking about the law i would like to know peoples moral views on the issue and any experience people hav had concerning euthanasia.
It really depends on the situation. If a patient is so terminally ill that their condition is unlikely to improve and their prognosis and quality of life is poor, then I think it's ok for them to want to be relieved of pain and suffering. I wouldn't want my friends or family or even myself, to endure prolonged pain and misery, when death is so imminent.

But if a person just wants to die, simply suicide, then that's more debatable and depends basically on whether you think suicide is cowardly or not.
idiopathic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Moncal)
extraordinary recoveries happen all the time. Just the other day there was a guy that should have been killed in a train crash in LA. He was walking again yesterday.
Why do you know of this particular story? Because it is a story rare enough to gain national coverage. It is one miracle among a million tragedies.

Do you see stories of the thousands that have to endure physical and emotional agony, alongside their loved ones, simply to prolong their now meaningless lives?
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by endeavour)
their now meaningless lives
wrong choice of word there, i think. there's a difference between their lives being meaningless and them being spent in absolute agony.
parsimony
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by angel D)
i belive that euthanasia is a kind and considerate act.
i think that people who wish to commit suicide should be able to.

any one disagre or agree what are your views on this?
i think that euthansia is fair if ppl really want to die..
but..
a) there are so many bad ppl in the world who can take advantage of it..
b) what if you suffer from depression and your ar in your maniac stage {which usually lasts only few days (but can be also x weeks long) } and you desperatelly want to commit suicide?..
and there are many other examples that contradict euthanasia..

however i think that euthanasia can be fair..but its also very dangerous to make it legal..thats my opinion..
Niaya
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by parsimony)
i think that euthansia is fair if ppl really want to die..
but..
a) there are so many bad ppl in the world who can take advantage of it..
b) what if you suffer from depression and your ar in your maniac stage {which usually lasts only few days (but can be also x weeks long) } and you desperatelly want to commit suicide?..
and there are many other examples that contradict euthanasia..

however i think that euthanasia can be fair..but its also very dangerous to make it legal..thats my opinion..
thanx i kinda agree with that any other views it would be good if some people wer against it or could give a different point of view
ThePenguinMafia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It would need to be highly regulated. I believe it should be alowed, but only under tight regulation. I'd say that the consent of two doctors would be needed to take the case to court so that it could be decided there. This may be an unreasonable demand though.
ThePenguinMafia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
What is to stop someone killing someone by injecting them with a lethal drug or something similar and then claiming they asked to die?
Lack of proven consent? I'd say that this would be less likely in a country that has legalised euthanasia as there is a lawful way of doing this. There has been a case recently when a husband was 'let off' for killing his wife based on him saying he had consent. Had it been legalised, then I am fairly sure that he would have chased resolutions that allowed her to end her life legally.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
67.72%
No I haven't decided yet (25)
19.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.6%

Watched Threads