raspberryice
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
what A levels, if any do you NEED to get onto a film production course??

and are there any "well ranked" unis that do this course or not?

thanks
ChrisTheRockGod
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, Media Studies is the most obvious A-level to take. I suppose other than that, it's up to you.
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You don't need any specific ones, since the likelihood is that you won't be able to take anything completely relevant anyway; but things like Media Studies, Psychology, Politics, Business Studies etc can help.
apassingfeeling
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Film studies? Theatre studies? Maybe English lit, and media? That's what I would say anyway.

As for the unis, I don't know about high ranked but here's a list of all that do anything to do with film :cool:
http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsr...=FILM&single=N
mooseface
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I took English Lang. & Lit, Media Studies and Geography, pretty random mix. Check out Staffordshire for a quality film prod. course
raspberryice
Rep:
?
ooh cool, thanks. i dont do media or eng....doesnt seem to matter tho...

yeh, well i've be on the ucas website and the only places that do this kind of course are lower ranked unis, like old polys and stuff, is it not classed as a well-respected course then???
hmm...are there specific film colleges?
thanks
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by raspberryice)
ooh cool, thanks. i dont do media or eng....doesnt seem to matter tho...

yeh, well i've be on the ucas website and the only places that do this kind of course are lower ranked unis, like old polys and stuff, is it not classed as a well-respected course then???
hmm...are there specific film colleges?
thanks
There are a few film schools, yep. And no, the course isn't generally well-respected.
mooseface
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by cpj1987)
And no, the course isn't generally well-respected.
Unless you're actually going into Film or T.V. ,then obviously it is. There's not much point in doing it if you're not sure you want to go into those industries.
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mooseface)
Unless you're actually going into Film or T.V. ,then obviously it is. There's not much point in doing it if you're not sure you want to go into those industries.
:yep:
raspberryice
Rep:
?
oh ok...so if you had a degree in film production, you would find it hard to get a job not in that industry where as say, a science degree will give you more options?
is that kind of what your saying..??

anyone know of any particular film production colleges??
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oh ok...so if you had a degree in film production, you would find it hard to get a job not in that industry where as say, a science degree will give you more options?
is that kind of what your saying..??

anyone know of any particular film production colleges??
Not at all. A degree in film production will give you exactly what you need for a career in the industry - its just not well-respected elsewhere.
raspberryice
Rep:
?
ok, but if i decide later on i dont wanna do film, will it be looked down apon from other industries, and *force* you to continue in the film one....as in.
its good for film, but if your not sure, but you think you mite enjoy it, wont give you many options after if you change your mind...as in if- is it only respected in the film industry, where as other degrees are respected across a variety of subjects.
does that make sense?
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ok, but if i decide later on i dont wanna do film, will it be looked down apon from other industries, and *force* you to continue in the film one....as in.
its good for film, but if your not sure, but you think you mite enjoy it, wont give you many options after if you change your mind...as in if- is it only respected in the film industry, where as other degrees are respected across a variety of subjects.
does that make sense?

It does make sense, yeah. The course has a number of transferable skills thatll be valuable anywhere - but like you say, its a vocational subject so wont be that well valued in other industries.
hannah_b
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Work experience is much more important in the film industry than courses - tho there is a v good MA in film production at the national film and television school (NFTS), & you can do that with pretty much any degree. It sort of depends on what aspect of film you're most interested in, if you're interested in eg animation then obvz an Art A-level would come in handy and maybe something w an IT element. But generally I'd suggest trying to get as much work experience as possible - make a short film w a friend (if you can't get hold of a video camera use a digital camera & make an animation or film using your mobile), contact local TV stations & ask if you can come in for work experience, get a job in the local cinema, anything like that will look great on yr CV.
Good luck! x
raspberryice
Rep:
?
ok..thanks
but im not sure whether i want to do film or sciences....im quite indecisive so im worried i'll make the wrong decision.
i like making videos for youtube (yes i know its sad) and enjoy using windows movie maker, i like putting film to music quite alot too.

what do you make of that??
raspberryice
Rep:
?
is this enough film interest....or not...i avoided media studies at my school because of the essays and english side, so its really just the actual "making" of the videos i like.
ParkaOps
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
is this enough film interest....or not...i avoided media studies at my school because of the essays and english side, so its really just the actual "making" of the videos i like.
12 years later.. How did it go, what are you doing now? Are you still pursuing Film Studies or are you pursuing a career in another field of work?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
12.2%
I need help researching courses (7)
8.54%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
6.1%
I need help with my personal statement (33)
40.24%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (22)
26.83%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.44%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
3.66%

Watched Threads