The Student Room Logo

I got all 8s n 9s, Ask me for help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tilda:)
hi :smile:
what methods did you find effective for revising english literature??
thank you so much for any help and well done!!

Revising lit, for the first 3 questions: what i'd do is go ahead and collect all the past questions on your play/book and finding all the themes that they related to. Take all those themes and now find quotes that would relate to these main themes and literally tearing them apart, you wana have the least quotes but the most heavy inferences. Try to make one quote relate to multiple themes so you have to remember less quotes. Do the same in terms of every single character cus AQA could be sneaky and make ur year the first one with a one liner character like Edna from inspecter calls appear.
For the poetry section, you gotta double down in your analysis here too ofc and i recomened just having 2-3 permenant poem that u relate every other poem to, and memorise thsoe relations those key points on how the poems relate cus everytime u might write a dif way of expressing it but the main idea you already got nailed. Also the unseen poetry section works just like paper 1 q2 and q3 but with more emphasis on specific poetic devices rather than general langyuage/structure devices so get those qs nailed and you should be 2/3 way done in unseen poetry just learn your specific poetry devices and your good to go. Mr salles and mr everything english do alot of these type of vids of unseen poetry breakdowns aswell as videos that seemingly go over every quote relevent to your play/book that you need essentially rendering your physical copy useless cus u really dont even need to open it at that point. Hope this helps and forgive the spelling mistakes its late x
Original post by saddie958
I need help with Spanish please! I got a 5 in year 10 mocks and my goal is a 9 as i’m now doing higher. The issue is that for the past few years i’ve learn foundation level spanish and my speaking is absolutely HORRIBLE.
Thank you and well done for ur results :smile:

Hi, i might actually not be the best person for this because i didnt take a language at gcse so my advice might not be the best but ive heard watching shows in spanish + using apps like duolingo help? sorry bro languages were never my thing
Original post by hibyehereforasec
HI people, im here for anyone who needs guidance in general for gcses in terms of methods of learning/memorising as well as actual content/notes I made for myself. Dm me for those, and yeah hope you have an amazing day xx

hi I am a year 12 student and I am going to resit my English language exam this week I passed mine in GCSE but I need a good grade to study medicine do u have any reason tips for me please?
(edited 1 month ago)
I need help with Spanish please! I got a 5 in year 10 mocks and my goal is a 9 as i’m now doing higher. The issue is that for the past few years i’ve learn foundation level spanish and my speaking is absolutely HORRIBLE.

ive sat 2 MFL gcses in year 10 and im going into year 11 to sit spanish, ill try give you the best advice that i can give :3

essentially the main thing you want to get down is the vocab. it may seem a bit obvious but in the listening exam those spanish people will not only speak at unhuman speeds or have the heaviest accent youve ever heard but they will use synonyms for words in the paper so if you learn your vocab you're all good. get familiar with your specification and the modules (for example one of the igcse edexel modules is house and home, with the submodule being daily routines). once you find these look up the modules on quizlet (i find this to be the most useful) and start revising them.

in terms of speaking, duolingo lessons don't develop speaking skills very well. true, there are speaking exercises integrated into their lessons, but they're just not very good. essentially, you're just asked to repeat words and phrases in a vacuum. it may seem tedious but for your gcse speaking exam you NEED to practice with others, whether its a friend, parent or dog its the best way to practice speaking. for my speaking exam we have to describe whats in a photo and have a conversation with our examiner about 2 randomly selected modules from the specification. this is why learning the vocab is so important, without it you literally have nothing to talk about. with speaking being 25% of your total gcse its rlly important to get a decent grade in it. a 5 in foundation tier is pretty decent and is a good base for higher since theres not much thats different.

https://imgur.com/a/1SFX8Fn <- heres a link to a little screenshot of the speaking section of the spec (gcse edexel, not sure which exam board youre using but it wont be too different)

as you can see, just understanding the vocab will allow you to successfully respond to most of the assessment objectives. then ofc theres grammar and conjugations on top of that but i reccomend building a stong base by learning the vocab and then spending time to learn the tenses (conditional, imperfect, present, future, preterite)

https://bassingbournvc.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/All-GCSE-tenses.-Regular-verbs.pdf <- another link to all the tenses you'll need to know to get a 9

finally, dont stress! theres still a few months till your gcses so if you revise well you'll be fine :3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QU1TsOsgqA <- heres a video for the speaking exam info, i hope this helps too
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by yr12 student
hi I am a year 12 student and I am going to resit my English language exam this week I passed mine in GCSE but I need a good grade to study medicine do u have any reason tips for me please?

this weeek?? bro u can still make it work:
> no.1 way to maximise marks here is by memorising a pre-made full mark answer for paper 1 sec b n writin it in the exam savin you time for other qs + get those 40 marks nailed. First off you needa make the pre-made answer in the first place, its gotta include a description of a place + description of two people + dialogue between them. Make sure it includes as many lang + struc devices cus thats literally what the markin boils down to. Get it marked by a teacher, get their feedback and basically improve until your scorin full marks. If you need an example base ans i got one if you want. In the exam then you’d basically rewrite it all from memory but tweaking it to the written prompt (you wouldnt do the pic for the base ans method cus pic descriptions dont allow stories/descriptions outside the pic) I have an example ans if you want it its here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cwcRG0g7YnnrUACur4h4tvskwP1k-5ecytzBt7u6-gk/edit
> All of lang p1 and alot of lang p2 is based on being able to recognise structure/language techniques and then bein able to talk ab their effects. To get confident in this you wana search ‘lang devices’ and ‘structure devices’ and watch every single vid you can get your hands on, noting down everything new you learn. There'll be so many dif views on effects in all the vids which is exactly what you want, you wanna have exposure to as many variations of effects the same type of devices can have so you can use them in your writin later.
> Watch mr everything english n mr salles on their breakdown vids of each q from each paper theyre super helpful, and in general any vid you can come across> Answer qs from past papers, take em to your teacher, take their feedback and always aim to make the next piece of work better than the last.
Since ur exam is this week literally just hyperfocus on lang and good luck!
> Make a word chart n bluetack it above where you work with way better synonyms of normal words used in most people work like good/bad/powerful/weak/beautiful, adding more synonyms to it as you progress n actively use them more and more in every next piece of work.AND Neva eva use ‘show’ or ‘highlight’ use other words/phrases like ‘elucidate’ ‘delineate’ ‘puts forth’ ‘characterises’ ‘causes the course of thought to align with’ ygm just anything but show
> no.1 way to maximise marks here is by memorising a pre-made full mark answer for paper 1 sec b n writin it in the exam savin you time for other qs + get those 40 marks nailed. First off you needa make the pre-made answer in the first place, its gotta include a description of a place + description of two people + dialogue between them. Make sure it includes as many lang + struc devices cus thats literally what the markin boils down to. Get it marked by a teacher, get their feedback and basically improve until your scorin full marks. If you need an example base ans i got one if you want. In the exam then you’d basically rewrite it all from memory but tweaking it to the written prompt (you wouldnt do the pic for the base ans method cus pic descriptions dont allow stories/descriptions outside the pic) I have an example ans if you want it its here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cwcRG0g7YnnrUACur4h4tvskwP1k-5ecytzBt7u6-gk/edit
> All of lang p1 and alot of lang p2 is based on being able to recognise structure/language techniques and then bein able to talk ab their effects. To get confident in this you wana search ‘lang devices’ and ‘structure devices’ and watch every single vid you can get your hands on, noting down everything new you learn. There'll be so many dif views on effects in all the vids which is exactly what you want, you wanna have exposure to as many variations of effects the same type of devices can have so you can use them in your writin later.
> Watch mr everything english n mr salles on their breakdown vids of each q from each paper theyre super helpful, and in general any vid you can come across> Answer qs from past papers, take em to your teacher, take their feedback and always aim to make the next piece of work better than the last.
> Make a word chart n bluetack it above where you work with way better synonyms of normal words used in most people work like good/bad/powerful/weak/beautiful, adding more synonyms to it as you progress n actively use them more and more in every next piece of work.AND Neva eva use ‘show’ or ‘highlight’ use other words/phrases like ‘elucidate’ ‘delineate’ ‘puts forth’ ‘characterises’ ‘causes the course of thought to align with’ ygm just anything but show

i actually despise poetry comparison for lit...

im doing aqa love and relationships for my poetry

how would you reccomend learning quotes for all 15 poems as well as themes and context?

hii thank you so much for your advice, it is amazing especially the mr everything English I have watched all his video for paper 1 and I genuinely think it's so helpful cuz he just make things easier to understand and straight to the main point without saying unnecessary stuff. By the way do you think you have any youtuber recommendation for me on A-level chemistry and biology, they are so complicated so I want to do preview before any lesson, thanks again :smile:
HI people, im here for anyone who needs guidance in general for gcses in terms of methods of learning/memorising as well as actual content/notes I made for myself. Dm me for those, and yeah hope you have an amazing day xx

hi may I ask do you have any youtuber recommendation for A-level chemistry and biology ?
Original post by elaina the witch
i actually despise poetry comparison for lit...

im doing aqa love and relationships for my poetry

how would you reccomend learning quotes for all 15 poems as well as themes and context?

Sorry ive been so busy with a levels forgot to reply:
For poems you definitely gotta be familiar with all but i think you should have 2 or 3 soild poems that you always compare poems to rather than just comparing across any of the 15. This is cus your gona make your writin stronger by comparin to the same 2-3 poems again and again so you'll be very familiar with them and thus be able to write and think faster in the exam. For learning each poems themes + contexts i think you should literally search the poem name + anaylisis in yt and watch every single vid, adding every new concept or prespective you find into your notes for that poem, doesnt matter if the vid is american, austrailian, from 10 years ago etc cus all you want is the most unique way of understanding the poem to get your 9 instead of the same basic ideas reiterated in gcse vids. And yeah go ahead make flashcards of concepts + key quotes + devices found in each poem etc and make sure to do all the past questions and get them to full marks and you should be good to go.
Original post by yr12 student
hii thank you so much for your advice, it is amazing especially the mr everything English I have watched all his video for paper 1 and I genuinely think it's so helpful cuz he just make things easier to understand and straight to the main point without saying unnecessary stuff. By the way do you think you have any youtuber recommendation for me on A-level chemistry and biology, they are so complicated so I want to do preview before any lesson, thanks again :smile:

oh yeah I do a level chem, not bio tho, n which exam board do you do for chem? Mr Allery has very good vids for general topics applicable to all exam boards but he also does these videos that go over specific topics in exam boards ie topic 1 atomic structure n goes thru the whole of it specification wise. The Chemistry Tutor on youtube is also really good he goes thru general topics applicable to all exam boards and primrose kitten also does indepth videos + details topic vids.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Reply 30

Congratulations on your Year 10 results! Transitioning to higher-level Spanish can be challenging, especially with speaking. Practice and immersion can greatly improve fluency. Keep practicing, you'll get there!
Original post by elaina the witch
ive sat 2 MFL gcses in year 10 and im going into year 11 to sit spanish, ill try give you the best advice that i can give :3

essentially the main thing you want to get down is the vocab. it may seem a bit obvious but in the listening exam those spanish people will not only speak at unhuman speeds or have the heaviest accent youve ever heard but they will use synonyms for words in the paper so if you learn your vocab you're all good. get familiar with your specification and the modules (for example one of the igcse edexel modules is house and home, with the submodule being daily routines). once you find these look up the modules on quizlet (i find this to be the most useful) and start revising them.

in terms of speaking, duolingo lessons don't develop speaking skills very well. true, there are speaking exercises integrated into their lessons, but they're just not very good. essentially, you're just asked to repeat words and phrases in a vacuum. it may seem tedious but for your gcse speaking exam you NEED to practice with others, whether its a friend, parent or dog its the best way to practice speaking. for my speaking exam we have to describe whats in a photo and have a conversation with our examiner about 2 randomly selected modules from the specification. this is why learning the vocab is so important, without it you literally have nothing to talk about. with speaking being 25% of your total gcse its rlly important to get a decent grade in it. a 5 in foundation tier is pretty decent and is a good base for higher since theres not much thats different.

https://imgur.com/a/1SFX8Fn <- heres a link to a little screenshot of the speaking section of the spec (gcse edexel, not sure which exam board youre using but it wont be too different)

as you can see, just understanding the vocab will allow you to successfully respond to most of the assessment objectives. then ofc theres grammar and conjugations on top of that but i reccomend building a stong base by learning the vocab and then spending time to learn the tenses (conditional, imperfect, present, future, preterite)

https://bassingbournvc.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/All-GCSE-tenses.-Regular-verbs.pdf <- another link to all the tenses you'll need to know to get a 9

finally, dont stress! theres still a few months till your gcses so if you revise well you'll be fine :3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QU1TsOsgqA <- heres a video for the speaking exam info, i hope this helps too

thank you so much for the advice i feel a lot better!
i’ve started doing some flashcards with all the words from the spec and after mocks(as i’m a bit busy now) i’ll listen to podcasts regularly.
i also asked my teacher if i can visit her after school so that should help with speaking :smile:
hopefully i’ll get that 9!
Reply 32

I have a question regarding History.

I'm doing Edexcel, & one of the topics is Early Elizabethan England 1558-88. Do you know how specific the questions can get if you did the same? For example, a possible key features Q could be 'Describe 2 key features of Elizabeth's government', but do you think they'd ask something like 'Describe 2 key features of the role of the House of Lords in shaping legislation during Elizabethan England.', which requiring covering the content way more in-depth?

Struggling on deciding how to format notes for this too due to this confusion regarding how much detail I need to go into.

Thanks.
Reply 33
Revising lit, for the first 3 questions: what i'd do is go ahead and collect all the past questions on your play/book and finding all the themes that they related to. Take all those themes and now find quotes that would relate to these main themes and literally tearing them apart, you wana have the least quotes but the most heavy inferences. Try to make one quote relate to multiple themes so you have to remember less quotes. Do the same in terms of every single character cus AQA could be sneaky and make ur year the first one with a one liner character like Edna from inspecter calls appear.
For the poetry section, you gotta double down in your analysis here too ofc and i recomened just having 2-3 permenant poem that u relate every other poem to, and memorise thsoe relations those key points on how the poems relate cus everytime u might write a dif way of expressing it but the main idea you already got nailed. Also the unseen poetry section works just like paper 1 q2 and q3 but with more emphasis on specific poetic devices rather than general langyuage/structure devices so get those qs nailed and you should be 2/3 way done in unseen poetry just learn your specific poetry devices and your good to go. Mr salles and mr everything english do alot of these type of vids of unseen poetry breakdowns aswell as videos that seemingly go over every quote relevent to your play/book that you need essentially rendering your physical copy useless cus u really dont even need to open it at that point. Hope this helps and forgive the spelling mistakes its late x

thank you so much!! that was really helpful!!
Original post by K...,
I have a question regarding History.

I'm doing Edexcel, & one of the topics is Early Elizabethan England 1558-88. Do you know how specific the questions can get if you did the same? For example, a possible key features Q could be 'Describe 2 key features of Elizabeth's government', but do you think they'd ask something like 'Describe 2 key features of the role of the House of Lords in shaping legislation during Elizabethan England.', which requiring covering the content way more in-depth?

Struggling on deciding how to format notes for this too due to this confusion regarding how much detail I need to go into.

Thanks.

Im so sorry i havent done history and my freinds who got 9 in it did AQA... your best shot is asking in revision servers online or your own teacher < 3 But tbh generally i have the same problem at a level philosophy and the way i combat it is going thru each past paper and connecting each past question to its part of the spec to see how much detail they go in, that helped me maybe you could do the same

Hi im really struggling with science i do triple higher and im getting 4s and 5s , i was wondering if freesciencelesson videos cover evrything to get atleast a 7/8 , as i finf them really easy and simple. I have been watching the topic video then going on my oxford revision guide and answering practice exam questions. is this enough.
Original post by mc79360
Hi im really struggling with science i do triple higher and im getting 4s and 5s , i was wondering if freesciencelesson videos cover evrything to get atleast a 7/8 , as i finf them really easy and simple. I have been watching the topic video then going on my oxford revision guide and answering practice exam questions. is this enough.

that sounds great! free science lessons literally goes over everything in the spec so you should be good, only advice i’d give you is to go on physics maths tutor and do past paper from your exam board because they’ll be structured the same in the real exam :smile:
buena suerte!(good luck)

Quick Reply

Latest