This discussion is closed.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Do you think multiple re-sits should be allowed? Personally I think it's ridiculous that you can now re-sit an AS/A-level or an individual unit as many times as you need to. All it does is further add to the argument that A-levels have been 'dumbed down'. I agree with students being allowed to re-sit an exam once because you can just have a bad day and everyone deserves a second chance, but after that, that should be it. No matter how well or how badly you did in the re-sit, you should have to accept the best mark out of your two attempts. There are only a certain amount of questions examiners can ask for each exam, and if you allow someone to re-sit as many times as they want, they can very easily get near enough full marks after a few tries.
usa1981
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
one for each module ( only 3 at AS) and only one at A-level.
animaluvva
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
There are only a certain amount of questions examiners can ask for each exam, and if you allow someone to re-sit as many times as they want, they can very easily get near enough full marks after a few tries.
I kind of think if that were the case we'd all be gettin full marks...as we all have access to past papers!?!

But, I do understand your point about being able to retake over and over again - I think its good the option is there because as we all know, a bad result could just be down to a bad day, but I'd say that retaking the same exam LOADS of times probably means the final grade doesn't reflect true ability.
amo1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
as many as u want... its great
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think only 1 re-sit should be allowed at AS and A2. If you re-sit many times, you get to know the questions, and all you need to do is memorize the questions and answers, and not learning anything.
aiman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think that we should be allowed to resit twice only
aiman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But I don't think that they will decrease the no.of resits. Hey they get money for every resit, why should they complain?
Cellardore
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well i'm doing two modules as a resit, which i think is quite reasonable. Some people in my year are doing 6 or 7 resits which is a bit much. What a waste of a year.
Jianren
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
One resit sounds fair enough to me. Someone suggested charging a higher price for subsequent resits, but that doesn't sound entirely fair to me. That's another rich/poor divide which could very swiftly widen. Making higher grades more easily accessible to those with cash to throw around on a whim.
Noel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
One resit per subject, should be adaquent. If one person, gets A's in all their As exams for on subject and doesn't resit any, and then another person in the same class gets ADD in the modules of the same subject, and is allowed to resit the 2 D modules, then they could end up getting a higher overall UMS grade, than the person who successfully did it first time. Doesn't this give an unfair comparison of the candidates?
Font
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
resits allowed - yes
have to pay - no
revert to lower mark if get lower in resit - no

that's what i think, but of course, people who resit loathes of exams should be made to pay - its unfair on the hardworking people who work hard to get the grades in the first place. I wanted to retake my physics practocal/astro unit, but i was reluctant for fear that i'd get lower in my resit, and the'd take this one.

Funnily enough if i was in yr 13 last year, my school allowed infinite resits, with no costs incurred to the pupils, and the exam board took the highest mod mark - weird how much the board changes in a single year, lol

Phil
White_redrose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by trev)
I think only 1 re-sit should be allowed at AS and A2. If you re-sit many times, you get to know the questions, and all you need to do is memorize the questions and answers, and not learning anything.
I agree with you!
Chris87
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by trev)
Isn't that exactly the same as practicing past papers and doing well the first time in the real exam?
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What's the current rules for resits at AS/A2 level?
Chris87
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by afireinside©)
What's the current rules for resits at AS/A2 level?
I believe there's an infinite number of resits allowed within the life of the syllabus. Only your last two marks are allowed to be kept for each unit.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You can actually repeat as many times as you want. Obviously, the higher mark counts towards your final grade.
Mishael
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think one resit per module is reasonable, but that the new mark should be taken. There are loads of people in my school who have done resits but aren't at all bothered about them and haven't done any work. If they were as significant as the first exam, with no mark to fall back on if they did badly, I think they would work a lot harder and probably do a lot better.
stratomaster
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Out of interest, is it the student themselves or the college that has to pay for resits..??
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by stratomaster)
Out of interest, is it the student themselves or the college that has to pay for resits..??
The student needs to pay.
stratomaster
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by trev)
The student needs to pay.
what!! :eek:

how much does it cost?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (12)
6.42%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.16%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.11%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.43%
There's nothing they could do (54)
28.88%

Watched Threads