Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have pretty much worked out what I am going to be doing for A level - still a little shaky on the fourth choice though. French is a definite, and Spanish is pretty definite. I was hoping you guys could tell me a bit about what they are both like for A level, and anyone who does both, how hard it is to do 2 languages. What is the change like from GCSE ? I have been told that the grammar gets really harder, and there is loads more vocabulary too learn.

ReputationRep:
    I do A-level French. I have found it to be quite a bit more challenging than GCSE, particularly as there's more emphasis on the writing side. You will be introduced to the subjunctive and the passive if you haven't already used them at GCSE, they seem quite difficult at first but you eventually get used to them. I don't do Spanish, but those in my class who do it find that doing both is helpful.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    a/s level is ok
    alevel uve gotta to be crazy to take.

ReputationRep:
    i did A level French and i didnt find it too bad. u have to do lots of independant work tho. The main way to succeed is to imporve ure vocab.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing AS French at the moment, and it is a pretty big step up from GCSE, but you do get used to it reasonably quickly. The grammar does get more difficult, especially when you're writing as you need to go over everything with a fine-tooth comb to check you've used the right spellings, accents, agreements, tenses etc. The speed of the listening tape is a lot faster, but you have control of it and you can pause, stop, rewind, fast-forward whenever and however many times you need to. The main difference is that you have to do a lot more work in your own time, such as reading French newspapers online, watching French TV channels etc, but because the class is so much smaller, you get more individual attention as well and it's a lot more interesting. So in short, quite hard but very rewarding and well worth it.

ReputationRep:
    i do a level french and german. in some ways its good to do 2 languages and some ways it isnt. i get confused by them both sometimes like in my french speaking lessons i sometimes talk in german by accident lol but i think spanish and french go well together, a few ppl in my class do them both.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help guys!

I'm doing AS French at the moment, and it is a pretty big step up from GCSE, but you do get used to it reasonably quickly. The grammar does get more difficult, especially when you're writing as you need to go over everything with a fine-tooth comb to check you've used the right spellings, accents, agreements, tenses etc. The speed of the listening tape is a lot faster, but you have control of it and you can pause, stop, rewind, fast-forward whenever and however many times you need to. The main difference is that you have to do a lot more work in your own time, such as reading French newspapers online, watching French TV channels etc, but because the class is so much smaller, you get more individual attention as well and it's a lot more interesting. So in short, quite hard but very rewarding and well worth it.
    Yeah, I was told about the listening thing, and how you can control it, but that you have to be careful to get the timing right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie47)
    Thanks for your help guys!

Yeah, I was told about the listening thing, and how you can control it, but that you have to be careful to get the timing right.
    Yeah, it sounds easy, but you can't afford to waste all your time trying to find the right section of the tape when you only have an hour to answer all the questions and do longer writing questions as well. That's how it is with Edexcel anyway.

ReputationRep:
    i found AS french very easy..not very different to gcse french. you're introduced to a bit more grammar and you're encouraged to use it in speaking/writing. however, i thought the gap between AS and A2 was quite big. the reading and listening gets harder and there's alot more writing to be done. i did aqa french and had to read a novel and study the history of france during world war 2. in the exam, you have to write an essay on both for 2 hours. if you study the topic well, read the book and practice a few essays beforehand, you should do well. if you don't, well, you'll fail miserably! i suggest that if you get a choice of doing coursework or the writing exam, do the coursework. those from my old school who did the coursework, did better overall than those who did the written exam.

ReputationRep:
    Its important not to sit back because of the baby step from GCSE to AS, as AS year gives you the opprtunity to do extra work so the gap to A2 isn't so bloody huge. I sat on my bottom for AS and I wished i'd worked harder to ease the A2 pain. It should be OK if you go to a decent school tho. I think languages are the most rewarding A level tho, they are more than just a step to a uni offer, they give you a skill you can truly hold in your hand. In two years you go from being able to describe your ideal holiday to being able to say whatever you want. Which is awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it sounds easy, but you can't afford to waste all your time trying to find the right section of the tape when you only have an hour to answer all the questions and do longer writing questions as well. That's how it is with Edexcel anyway.
    Yeah, we'll be using Edexcel.

i found AS french very easy..not very different to gcse french. you're introduced to a bit more grammar and you're encouraged to use it in speaking/writing. however, i thought the gap between AS and A2 was quite big. the reading and listening gets harder and there's alot more writing to be done. i did aqa french and had to read a novel and study the history of france during world war 2. in the exam, you have to write an essay on both for 2 hours. if you study the topic well, read the book and practice a few essays beforehand, you should do well. if you don't, well, you'll fail miserably! i suggest that if you get a choice of doing coursework or the writing exam, do the coursework. those from my old school who did the coursework, did better overall than those who did the written exam.
    We'll be using Edexcel, so I don't think that we will have the choice of coursework.

Its important not to sit back because of the baby step from GCSE to AS, as AS year gives you the opprtunity to do extra work so the gap to A2 isn't so bloody huge. I sat on my bottom for AS and I wished i'd worked harder to ease the A2 pain. It should be OK if you go to a decent school tho. I think languages are the most rewarding A level tho, they are more than just a step to a uni offer, they give you a skill you can truly hold in your hand. In two years you go from being able to describe your ideal holiday to being able to say whatever you want. Which is awesome.
    It sounds great! And my school is okay

ReputationRep:
    I do edexcel and we HAVE to do coursework

ReputationRep:
    I do Edexcel French and Spanish for A2. A2's definitely tougher than AS... AS is pretty much an extension of GCSE thus bridging the gap isn't too bad. For Spanish i'm doing two pieces of coursework for Unit 5. However in French we have to 2 exams: 1 on a French novel and another on the Occupation. Doing French and Spanish together isn't as bad as i first thought, although sometimes you can say a word in the wrong language without meaning to, because sometimes the words are quite similar.

ReputationRep:
    I'm with Edexcel and we do coursework for A2, but not AS.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure that we won't be doing coursework. At least, that is what we have been told so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie47)
    I'm sure that we won't be doing coursework. At least, that is what we have been told so far.
    If you have Edexcel, then for Unit 5 (A2) you have the option of either studying a French novel or other book and have an exam, or you do 2 pieces of coursework, one 500 words and the other 1000 words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruth_lou)
    i do a level french and german. in some ways its good to do 2 languages and some ways it isnt. i get confused by them both sometimes like in my french speaking lessons i sometimes talk in german by accident lol but i think spanish and french go well together, a few ppl in my class do them both.
    Lol I do that sometimes,except I confuse French with Welsh lol :rolleyes:
    I do French A level with the WJEC,we have to do coursework this year too.We were supposed to have a choice between a project and a novel,but were forced to do the project :mad: As long as this doesn't happen to you you'll probably be fine,it is a big jump but as long as you're reasonably good at it you'll prob be almost fluent by the end of the course!

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.