The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Mathematics application - low gcses

GCSE scores - maths Hi, I'm currently in the process of applying for oxford. I suffered with quite severe illness that ended up meaning I had to attend a online school for a while as I was too sick to attend normal school. This really limited my gcses in terms of the amount I was able to take (6) and the subjects I took didnt necessarily play to my strengths. I got (9,8,8,7,7,6) after taking my gcses. After getting better I was able to take my alevel maths in one year and achieve an A* and am currently predicted an A* in further maths and film studies. I am worried that my gcse results will impact my application, I have disclosed my health conditions on ucas and in my refrence from my teacher it makes them aware of this also. I am also not confident in my ability to achieve a top MAT score most likely looking at about 60 -65 at best. Please let me know if you have had a similar experince and been offerd a place or just if you have any advice. Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ryanthebrw
GCSE scores - maths Hi, I'm currently in the process of applying for oxford. I suffered with quite severe illness that ended up meaning I had to attend a online school for a while as I was too sick to attend normal school. This really limited my gcses in terms of the amount I was able to take (6) and the subjects I took didnt necessarily play to my strengths. I got (9,8,8,7,7,6) after taking my gcses. After getting better I was able to take my alevel maths in one year and achieve an A* and am currently predicted an A* in further maths and film studies. I am worried that my gcse results will impact my application, I have disclosed my health conditions on ucas and in my refrence from my teacher it makes them aware of this also. I am also not confident in my ability to achieve a top MAT score most likely looking at about 60 -65 at best. Please let me know if you have had a similar experince and been offerd a place or just if you have any advice. Thank you.

I think they might be more concerned that you are only doing two A levels this year. Did you discuss this with them?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
I think they might be more concerned that you are only doing two A levels this year. Did you discuss this with them?

No. I dont know who I would have talked too? I did it more out of necessity than choice, I'm still considered a full time learner at my college, do you think it will be an issue dont most people only do 3?

I'm pretty sure Oxford are used to Maths in Y12 and FM in Y13? It's a common pathway.
Reply 4
(Original post by AnotherStudent!)I'm pretty sure Oxford are used to Maths in Y12 and FM in Y13? It's a common pathway.

ah cheers, that was stressing me out!
Reply 5
Original post by AnotherStudent!
I'm pretty sure Oxford are used to Maths in Y12 and FM in Y13? It's a common pathway.

Yep, and @ryanthebrw , I also saw this, it's quite common if you do FM with Maths as a sort of lead-on. I do note though that Oxford stated if you do this, they often expect the two A*s (or whatever 2 top grades) in the second year, e.g. with FM and another subject. They don't expect 4 A-levels too, they explicitly state if you have 4 they sometimes drop you a grade though. Good luck!
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 6

Yes but people usually do 4 A levels with that route.
Reply 7
No. I dont know who I would have talked too? I did it more out of necessity than choice, I'm still considered a full time learner at my college, do you think it will be an issue dont most people only do 3?

Didn't yur school flag it? We would have 4 A levels if Maths was taken in Year 12
Reply 8
Original post by {Moss}
Yep, and @ryanthebrw , I also saw this, it's quite common if you do FM with Maths as a sort of lead-on. I do note though that Oxford stated if you do this, they often expect the two A*s (or whatever 2 top grades) in the second year, e.g. with FM and another subject. Good luck!

thank you! i am predicted that so should hopefully be fine will just put the work in!
Reply 9
Yes but people usually do 4 A levels with that route.

i dont really understand, i thought oxford didnt look at the number of alevels more the grades you get and extra curriculars how much do you reckon it will harm my application? given everything else do you reckon id be able to get an interview?
Their webpage does state they do accept that format: https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduate-study/our-offer

@RichE may be able to give some perspective on the situation of three A-levels with maths done in year 12 and thus only two done together in year 13 and whether that is a specific issue for maths there.
Reply 11
Didn't yur school flag it? We would have 4 A levels if Maths was taken in Year 12

i got to an fe college, im the only person in the past 4 years whos applied to go to oxbridge, my teachers are great but not their area of expertise
Reply 12
Original post by artful_lounger
Their webpage does state they do accept that format: https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduate-study/our-offer

@RichE may be able to give some perspective on the situation of three A-levels with maths done in year 12 and thus only two done together in year 13 and whether that is a specific issue for maths there.

thanks thats really helpful :smile:
Original post by artful_lounger

It doesn't cover the two A levels in Year 13 issue
thanks thats really helpful :smile:

It doesn't mention only taking two A levels in Year 13
"The usual expectation is that candidates will complete the A-levels specified in their applications within a two year period. Where a candidate completes a relevant A-level before they apply, this will be taken into account; however, it is likely that offers will be made on the basis of three A-levels completed in year 13."
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/admission-requirements/uk-qualifications
Reply 16
"The usual expectation is that candidates will complete the A-levels specified in their applications within a two year period. Where a candidate completes a relevant A-level before they apply, this will be taken into account; however, it is likely that offers will be made on the basis of three A-levels completed in year 13."
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/admission-requirements/uk-qualifications

It doesn't mention only taking two A levels in Year 13

"We would generally discourage schools and students from sitting A-levels early (earlier than Year 12) unless the student is very confident of achieving top grades."

That's generic though. Their Maths dept. have specified on multiple occasions that they support the pathway and typical offers are based on 3 A-Levels.

Perhaps OP gets a A*A* condition, but I don't see anything more than that to come of it. And even that, imo, is unlikely.
That's generic though. Their Maths dept. have specified on multiple occasions that they support the pathway and typical offers are based on 3 A-Levels.

Perhaps OP gets a A*A* condition, but I don't see anything more than that to come of it. And even that, imo, is unlikely.

They don't mention this scenario at all and we've been told they [Maths] want to see three A levels sat in Year 13. Point me to where they state otherwise ...
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 19
@AnotherStudent! @{Moss} @Muttley79 thank you guys all for your help really appreciate it, so were thinking that if anything me not taking 3 alevels this year is going to be the issue rather than my lack of gcses?

Latest