New GTP application process Watch

This discussion is closed.
George O'Neill
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hello All, I thought I had a handle on this but now I am confused.

I have been applying to schools directly. I wish to be taken on under the GTP scheme to teach ICT. I
am a 38 year old I.T. professional who want to swap to do teaching.

Up till now I thought I had to scour the country, England , to find a school which will take me on
under the GTP scheme and then the school applies for funding to a centralised body.

Today I received a letter from one of the schools which says that the management of the application
process for the GTP has changed. The letter, although not terribly clear, seems to suggest that I
should now apply to Designated Recommending Bodies. Problem is that the letter also points out that
the DRBs have not yet been appointed. So where does this leave my applications ? How do I apply to a
single, as yet undefined, body ?

Any clarification would be welcomed.

I will be calling the school as soon as they get in.

Cheers.

George
Neilw
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On 18 Jun 2002 00:13:13 -0700, [email protected] (George O'Neill) wrote:

[q1]>Hello All, I thought I had a handle on this but now I am confused.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I have been applying to schools directly. I wish to be taken on under the GTP scheme to teach ICT.[/q1]
[q1]>I am a 38 year old I.T. professional who want to swap to do teaching.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Up till now I thought I had to scour the country, England , to find a school which will take me on[/q1]
[q1]>under the GTP scheme and then the school applies for funding to a centralised body.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Today I received a letter from one of the schools which says that the management of the application[/q1]
[q1]>process for the GTP has changed. The letter, although not terribly clear, seems to suggest that I[/q1]
[q1]>should now apply to Designated Recommending Bodies. Problem is that the letter also points out that[/q1]
[q1]>the DRBs have not yet been appointed. So where does this leave my applications ? How do I apply to[/q1]
[q1]>a single, as yet undefined, body ?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Any clarification would be welcomed.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I will be calling the school as soon as they get in.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Cheers.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>George[/q1]

try here for information http://www.canteach.gov.uk/community/gtpreform/

or check with your local education authority and they might be able to point you in the
right direction

hope this helps

n
George O'Neill
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[email protected]_is_a_fake_email_ad dress.co.uk (NeilW) wrote in message
news:<[email protected] eserve.co.uk>...
[q1]> On 18 Jun 2002 00:13:13 -0700, [email protected] (George O'Neill) wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >Hello All, I thought I had a handle on this but now I am confused.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >I have been applying to schools directly. I wish to be taken on under the GTP scheme to teach[/q2]
[q2]> >ICT. I am a 38 year old I.T. professional who want to swap to do teaching.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >Up till now I thought I had to scour the country, England , to find a school which will take me[/q2]
[q2]> >on under the GTP scheme and then the school applies for funding to a centralised body.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >Today I received a letter from one of the schools which says that the management of the[/q2]
[q2]> >application process for the GTP has changed. The letter, although not terribly clear, seems to[/q2]
[q2]> >suggest that I should now apply to Designated Recommending Bodies. Problem is that the letter[/q2]
[q2]> >also points out that the DRBs have not yet been appointed. So where does this leave my[/q2]
[q2]> >applications ? How do I apply to a single, as yet undefined, body ?[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >Any clarification would be welcomed.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >I will be calling the school as soon as they get in.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >Cheers.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >George[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> try here for information http://www.canteach.gov.uk/community/gtpreform/[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> or check with your local education authority and they might be able to point you in the right[/q1]
[q1]> direction[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> hope this helps[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> n[/q1]

I got the following email in response to an enquiry I placed through the www.canteach website.
================================ ================================ =======

TTA Registration No.512290

Dear George,

Thank you for your email and interest in becoming a teacher. In reply to your enquiry I have
summarised the following details for your guidance and information:

The Graduate Teacher Programme (GTP) allows people over 24, who meet the entry requirements for
initial teacher training, to be employed as unqualified teachers in schools and follow an individual
training programme designed to lead to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).

In this employment-based training route, trainees get real hands-on experience from day one and
assume responsibility at an early stage in their teaching career. Schools and trainees are
encouraged to work in partnership with experienced providers of GTP training, who can assist in the
creation and delivery of the trainee's individually tailored training programme. Programmes normally
last for one year full-time or two years if completed part-time.

The GTP is undergoing a programme of reform. From September 2002, the GTP will mainly be delivered
through a network of Designated Recommending Bodies (DRBs) across England. DRBs will be responsible
for recruiting GTP candidates in their region, assessing the training needs of candidates against
the QTS standards and designing and delivering programmes to meet those needs. DRBs may be schools,
Local Education Authorities (LEAs), accredited initial teacher training (ITT) providers or other
agencies. They are most likely to be formed from partnerships between these organisations ing a list
of the DRBs on our website from early next week.

Start dates for GTP programmes can be flexible and will vary between DRBs, but will generally
coincide with the beginning of the Autumn, Spring and Summer terms (September, January and April).

In order to be eligible for the GTP, candidates must:
- be aged 24 or over when they start training if working in a maintained school. (This does not
apply to applicants from City Technology Colleges (CTCs), and independent schools, or to
applicants who are already fully-qualified to teach in another country);
- have GCSE grade C or equivalent in English and mathematics;
- a degree or recognised equivalent;
- the content of the candidate's previous education must provide a suitable basis for teaching their
chosen subject/age range; and
- candidates must also have a post as an unqualified teacher in a school.

If you are not already employed in a school the first step is to approach schools with suitable
teaching posts who may be willing to employ you throughout your teacher training. As any school can
participate in the GTP (except Pupil Referral Units or those in Special Measures), there is no
central list of schools available. Alternatively, you can contact your local DRB as they may be able
to help you find a school placement, providing you meet the DRB's entry criteria for the programme.

Candidates will be paid the salary of an unqualified teacher, in accordance with the School
Teachers' Pay and Conditions, while they are trained on the job. Schools also have the option to pay
Graduate Teachers as qualified staff if they wish. A training grant of up to £4000 per year for each
employment-based trainee is paid to DRBs and an additional grant of up to £13,000 may be paid as a
contribution to the trainee's salary costs. All maintained schools, non-maintained special schools
and City Technology Colleges (CTCs) are eligible to apply for grant.)

Individuals or schools who are considering using this route to QTS for the first time, should visit
the TTA website at www.canteach.gov.uk. General information and guidance on how to apply can be
downloaded from the site. A detailed explanation of the reform programme can be found at
www.canteach.gov.uk/gtpreform.

If you wish to proceed further, you should contact the GRTP Administration Unit or your local DRB
for advice and assistance. The contact details for the GRTP Administration Unit are:

GRTP Administration Unit Teacher Training Agency 1 The Chambers East Street Reading RG1 4JD Tel:
0118 902 1915 E-mail: [email protected]

I hope that you find this information helpful, please contact us again if you would like any further
assistance.

Kind regards

Emma Griffiths - Education Consultant Teaching Information Line PO Box 3210 Chelmsford Essex CM1 3WA
Telephone: 0845 6000 991 Fax: 01245 261 668 E-mail: [email protected] Website:
www.canteach.gov.uk

================================ ================================ ===

I interpret this as meaning I still continue applying to schools directly. The schools will not know
until next week who to apply for funding.

George
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.24%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.37%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.83%
Not yet but I might (59)
13.56%

Watched Threads