This discussion is closed.
Camford
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 18 years ago
I just received a letter from Imperial College this morning. It says that they would like to interview me on the 12th next month. So, I'm just wondering that what sort of questions will they be asking and if possible, can anyone provide some tips too please? Thanks in advance.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
I just received a letter from Imperial College this morning. It says that they would like to interview me on the 12th next month. So, I'm just wondering that what sort of questions will they be asking and if possible, can anyone provide some tips too please? Thanks in advance.
and what subject might you be applying for?
Bigcnee
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
I had an interview with Imperial for Maths. It was fairly informal. They asked me to explain differentiation from first principles.
Camford
Rep:
Computing that is
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
I had an interview for computer science. One tip is find out who is going to interview you. Go on the net and find out the persons research area (can be found at ic website). Try and read up on the area and when you get to the interview talk about the area to the lecturer/interviewer. They will be very impressed to find someone interested in their area of research. Also talk about an interest in further ed after your 1st degree: i.e. a PhD or MSc in that area or another.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
I had an interview for computer science. One tip is find out who is going to interview you. Go on the net and find out the persons research area (can be found at ic website). Try and read up on the area and when you get to the interview talk about the area to the lecturer/interviewer. They will be very impressed to find someone interested in their area of research. Also talk about an interest in further ed after your 1st degree: i.e. a PhD or MSc in that area or another.
http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/people/staffphotos/
Camford
Rep:
There must be millions of them, how can I find out which ones going to be conducting the interview?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
There must be millions of them, how can I find out which ones going to be conducting the interview?
Usually the invitation letter gives the name of the interviewer. Have they put a room number at least? (the room number might be the office of the person that will conduct the 1:1 interview).

Chances are it is:
*Dr D. Rueckert (really, really nice guy )
He is German, talk about Germany or something and is interested in medical imaging.
*Dr C. J. Hogger
wayland
Badges: 0
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
I had an interview with Imperial for Maths. It was fairly informal. They asked me to explain differentiation from first principles.
Did they give you an offer. If so, at what grades?

I am applying soon, but to Imperial for Physics.
elpaw
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by wayland)

the offer from imperial is AAB, with maths and physics. the interview will not be that demanding, more of a chit-chat than a questioning session.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
the offer from imperial is AAB, with maths and physics. the interview will not be that demanding, more of a chit-chat than a questioning session.
But I don't think you should take it lightly with Imperial. The more you are able to impress your interviewer the more chance you have of getting a lower offer. If they don't like you they will offer AAA so try your best to impress.
elpaw
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
But I don't think you should take it lightly with Imperial. The more you are able to impress your interviewer the more chance you have of getting a lower offer. If they don't like you they will offer AAA so try your best to impress.
I know you should impress your interviewer, i was just saying that you won't be grilled or roasted like at an oxbridge interview.
Goat
Report 18 years ago
Computing that is
I also have an interview on the 12th for computing!

See you there!

Any one know why its called computing at imperial not computer science?
Max Plank
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Hey hey, I'm at Imperial doing computing. Don't underestimate the interview but if you have been called to interview then generally they will make you an offer. They just want to check that you're not crazy. If you have put down that you can program or did CS A-level then be prepared to be asked for simple pseudo-code.

John

PS The course is fantastic.
Goat
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Max Plank)
Hey hey, I'm at Imperial doing computing. Don't underestimate the interview but if you have been called to interview then generally they will make you an offer. They just want to check that you're not crazy. If you have put down that you can program or did CS A-level then be prepared to be asked for simple pseudo-code.

John

PS The course is fantastic.
Why is it fantastic?

Where would you place it on this list? (Dont be biased!)

Bath
Bristol
Cambridge
Imperial
Southampton
Warwick
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
I'm currently at IC doing Maths with Computing. The interviews are not really too bad, you'll have the usual general chit-chat and then probably be asked to work through a (relatively simple) problem such as writing pseudo-code on a board for some simple function. Generally, if you've been asked to interview at this stage, it is likely that they want you on the course, so they will probably be going to make you an offer (unless you really muck up at the interview). However, your interview performance will be noted and then used if you do not quite make your grades in the summer; they will usually decide over two candidates in this position based on their interview performance.

Good luck (and as John has already said, the IC maths and computing courses are brilliant!)
Max Plank
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Goat)
Why is it fantastic?

Where would you place it on this list? (Dont be biased!)

Bath
Bristol
Cambridge
Imperial
Southampton
Warwick
Warwick was my second choice - as exciting as Coventry sounds, it wasn't for me! Imperial is the second best on your list (although most of the lecturers at IC would have it at the top). The lecture rooms are really nice and the computers are changed every six months to make sure they are up-to-date. You get to be in central London with loads of funny and very crazy people. You have the added bonus is that me and Rich both go there - so it must be good!

John
Goat
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Max Plank)
Warwick was my second choice - as exciting as Coventry sounds, it wasn't for me! Imperial is the second best on your list (although most of the lecturers at IC would have it at the top). The lecture rooms are really nice and the computers are changed every six months to make sure they are up-to-date. You get to be in central London with loads of funny and very crazy people. You have the added bonus is that me and Rich both go there - so it must be good!

John
Yeah Coventry doesnt seem too great. Why is Imperial 7th on the times list though? http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6734,00.html

Do you think its a problem that its 70% male? Also how poor is living in London making you?
Bigcnee
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by wayland)

I got an ABB offer, but I wasn't impressed with the maths dept. They seemed to have an inferiority complex to Oxbridge. They mentioned how they'd done better than them at sport, etc, at every opportunity! Bath was much more down to earth, and have a better dept., apparently.
Camford
Rep:
I don't what it is like. I don't remember anywhere on the letter that says anything about anyone being the interviewer. Oh and I have not yet return the thingy bob to imperial yet. with all the postal strike going on, I think I will arrive before the letter could. Better phone them up before I go just to make sure.

to Goat:

Pembrok, Cambridge
Imperial
UCL
Warwick.

Which college in Cambrige Goat? Pembroke said that the interview's between 8th and 18th, Dec. When's yours?

Bath is apparently top for Maths in the UK, better than oxbridge. I'm not surprised that the Times University guide said that the teaching standard in Ox is slipping.

Anyone doing the Senior Maths Challenge next month?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (34)
10.06%
Okay (99)
29.29%
A bit lacking (122)
36.09%
Not good at all (83)
24.56%

Watched Threads