This discussion is closed.
riotgrrrl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Is the letter I got in teh post today. Hmm maybe not the best campaign strat. as it completly freaked me out (give blood www.blood.co.uk)

I'm wondering whether or do it. Thinking of the positives and negatives, yes it mgiht help save a life and I want to but the negative is what if it goes wrong? And I HATE needles, hmmm any thoughts on this?
frost105
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Apparently there is a complete and serious shortage at the moment so suck it up and do it
Onearmedbandit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
And a rare blood type is not an excuse, it's another reason to go!!
wiwarin_mir
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by historyhoney)
Is the letter I got in teh post today. Hmm maybe not the best campaign strat. as it completly freaked me out (give blood www.blood.co.uk)

I'm wondering whether or do it. Thinking of the positives and negatives, yes it mgiht help save a life and I want to but the negative is what if it goes wrong? And I HATE needles, hmmm any thoughts on this?
I frequently get them because I gave blood once. I do intend to do it again, I just have not been bothered.
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
(Original post by frost105)
Apparently there is a complete and serious shortage at the moment so suck it up and do it
I am petrified but I want to do it, maybe I should get all my frinds who have turned 17 involed to do it together thus creating more people - more blood and moral support!
Natalie Lane
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It can't really "go wrong"...
just make sure the nurse opens the little packet the needle comes in (the one that ensures it's either disposable or has been desinfected and sealed) in front of you and there'll be no risks...
ian_b
Report 14 years ago

its the right thing to do. when i'm 17 which i think is the age you have to be i will give blood.
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You should definately give blood, you could be helping more than 1 person each time you do so DO IT!
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You know, I personally think it should be compulsary. Well, not completely, but if you don't give blood then you shouldn't expect to get any if you ever need it.
amo1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I am petrified but I want to do it, maybe I should get all my frinds who have turned 17 involed to do it together thus creating more people - more blood and moral support!
do u have a rare blood type?
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
(Original post by amo1)
I dont know - I have no idea of my blood type as I have never had it tested - do I need to go to the GP and have this done first?
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Natalie Lane)
It can't really "go wrong"...
just make sure the nurse opens the little packet the needle comes in (the one that ensures it's either disposable or has been desinfected and sealed) in front of you and there'll be no risks...
My friend had blood taken and the nurse did something like take it from teh wrong bit cos she had a massive blood bruise for ages
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amo1)
They send me a letter every time I can give blood (you can only do it so many times a year) because I'm O neg, the universal donor. It makes me feel special
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Toy Soldier)
They send me a letter every time I can give blood (you can only do it so many times a year) because I'm O neg, the universal donor. It makes me feel special
They send me a letter too. I think they do for everyone
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
im too scared of needles to give blood. Don't like blood or needles. :eek: besides, my blood on a serious note needles and blood go through me
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'd give blood but I wish everyone were dead, so it's probably not the most logical thing to do.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My friend had blood taken and the nurse did something like take it from teh wrong bit cos she had a massive blood bruise for ages
oh dear oh dear oh dear, isn't it worth getting a bruise to save someone's life?
Besides most of the time there will be no evidence that you've even given blood.
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I dont know - I have no idea of my blood type as I have never had it tested - do I need to go to the GP and have this done first?
No, if you give blood it'll say what your blood type is on the card you get through the post. If you really want to know then you could have it tested by a GP I suppose, then you would know if it's a rare one (AB+/- and B- are rarest I think, O+ and A+ most common) or the universal donor (O-).
amo1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Toy Soldier)
B-... less than 1%... im so special
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amo1)
B-... less than 1%... im so special
WOW!
I'm B -ve too
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
61.88%
No I haven't decided yet (49)
21.97%
Yes but I might change my mind (36)
16.14%

Watched Threads