This discussion is closed.
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have found that trainee nurses are just as good as the more established ones - they're so careful to be sure of what they're doing!

I've always found the nurses to be so lovely, and the other people in the waiting areas are usually great to talk to. All positive, as long as you remember to eat and drink enough on the day! (forgot once and had to be sat in the corner and slowly propped up in incriments while being fed orange juice through a straw and biscuits )
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lessthanthree)
wooo rockin' the A-neg. 7% of the population.

And, there's like..nothing that can go wrong. It doesn't even hurt at all, it's all in the head. go on, it'll help someone who really needs it, and you get free biscuits and drinks ^_^
I think the sticker's the best bit
Toy Soldier
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by historyhoney)
My friend had blood taken and the nurse did something like take it from teh wrong bit cos she had a massive blood bruise for ages
Some people get a bruise the first few times they go. Is it really a big deal?

I do recommend switching arm every few times you go though... especially if you go every time you can. It starts to hurt when they put in the needle otherwise.

On the topic of giving blood - is it just me, or is getting your arm numbed-up to give blood the stupidest thing ever? It's like... "to stop it hurting when we put the needle in, we can jab you with a different needle first"
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Last time I gave blood I went out that night and felt completely wasted after about 2 drinks. possibly the cheapest night i've ever had
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
numbing?! never knew they did that!
I always use my left arm because it feels odd if they try to do it on the other side
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Blood nurses are usually fab at taking blood. If you ever go for a blood test and see me though, I'd run away quickly - the last person I took blood from had a massive bruise covering their unfriendly vein for at least 5 weeks..
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
Blood nurses are usually fab at taking blood. If you ever go for a blood test and see me though, I'd run away quickly - the last person I took blood from had a massive bruise covering their unfriendly vein for at least 5 weeks..
you've taken real blood from a real live person :eek:
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
All positive, as long as you remember to eat and drink enough on the day! (forgot once and had to be sat in the corner and slowly propped up in incriments while being fed orange juice through a straw and biscuits )
LOL, I saw a guy go the oddest colour ever after giving blood. I was at the little table, eating my biscuit and drinking my juice (now there's another reason to go. Free biscuits and juice!!!) and he went totally green and fell face first into his tunnock's teacake. All the staff were panicking, the stretcher out and everything, and then the guy's wife was so worried that SHE fainted. Ahh... such amusement. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned this in this thread :p:

I've never even felt slightly different after giving blood though. Probably because I'm quite big. I could probably safely give 2 pints in one sitting, but it's not allowed.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Toy Soldier)
On the topic of giving blood - is it just me, or is getting your arm numbed-up to give blood the stupidest thing ever? It's like... "to stop it hurting when we put the needle in, we can jab you with a different needle first"
that's why they use local anaesthetic cream in my experience.

(Original post by Daveo)
you've taken real blood from a real live person :eek:
yeah, we took blood from each other at the end of the first year (just amongst students) and I volunteered myself to go to an outpatients clinic and take it off patients earlier this year.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeah, we took blood from each other at the end of the first year (just amongst students) and I volunteered myself to go to an outpatients clinic and take it off patients earlier this year.
Is eternally jealous! :mad:
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
numbing?! never knew they did that!
Yeah, I've seen a few people go for it. It's always funny when it's a big tough looking guy, and he's like "I can't take the pain!!!"

I've never found it sore. Except when they prick your thumb to test iron levels - that stings like a b*tch.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
LOL, I saw a guy go the oddest colour ever after giving blood. I was at the little table, eating my biscuit and drinking my juice (now there's another reason to go. Free biscuits and juice!!!) and he went totally green and fell face first into his tunnock's teacake. All the staff were panicking, the stretcher out and everything, and then the guy's wife was so worried that SHE fainted. Ahh... such amusement. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned this in this thread :p:
Why not :eek:? If that doesn't get people going to blood donor sessions, nothing will.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Is eternally jealous! :mad:
I wouldn't be. You've probably had more clinical experience than me if you've been having OSCEs in your second year.

Besides, when I was in that clinic taking blood I did something extremely stupid and I certainly learnt a lesson from it.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
the one little problem I have is that I don't want to have bagged blood, I want it fresh from the neck.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
the one little problem I have is that I don't want to have bagged blood, I want it fresh from the neck.
Me too. Bagged blood doesn't taste very nice
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah, I've seen a few people go for it. It's always funny when it's a big tough looking guy, and he's like "I can't take the pain!!!"

I've never found it sore. Except when they prick your thumb to test iron levels - that stings like a b*tch.
Yeah, it's the squeezing that makes it worse - and that horrid little glass tube.

I don't like the feeling of my own warm blood leaving my arm in a tube though - such a weird feeling against your skin! That's the only bit I hate. I'm definitely much better at vaccinations after giving blood - those needles are tiny!
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
such a weird feeling against your skin!
I like it :eek:
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Me too. Bagged blood doesn't taste very nice
I am actually being serious here.
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've given blood half-cut before too... like got in from drinking at 4am and gone to give blood at 9 in the morning. It's a great feeling, makes you feel much better, but I wonder - if someone gets my blood in an operation, will they wake up drunk?
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
I am actually being serious here.
Dare I ask? You'll have to provide your own comfy chair, I'll go get my twede jumper back off little-britain-ann.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads