The Student Room Group

Mat 2023

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
It varied massively from school to school.
Students in my school had an extra hour to work through solutions and another hour to talk to students about it.
Original post by dsfdf
Either way I think we should all give this MAT stuff a break, we tried as much as we could and all we can do is hope they interview more people than usual, and that we all smash our interview.

Second this. Nothing we can do; just hope for the best. Good luck everyone!
Quick question in the article it says something about people getting incorrect questions just double checking Q2 last part was it
x^7 -2x^6 - 5x ^5 -7x^4 +7x^3 +5x^2 - 2x + 1

which was the question I had.
Don’t worry now as it’s all irrelevant and won’t be counted. Officially announced that the exam results were not fair due to Oxford server error.
Original post by interstel17
Don’t worry now as it’s all irrelevant and won’t be counted. Officially announced that the exam results were not fair due to Oxford server error.

Where did you see this?
Yea I think that was the ELAT. Got a feeling they're not going to do anything with the MAT.
Original post by asdfeifneiwrf
Quick question in the article it says something about people getting incorrect questions just double checking Q2 last part was it

Yes it was exactly that but I could’ve r get it like nothing would divide nicely for me to revive a function in p

the issues were only with the ELAT, the MAT had all the correct questions
Clearly they have chosen not to attempt any sort of re-run of the ELAT, so presumably there’s no chance they’ll consider an MAT re-run. If they are being cagey about scrapping the MAT, I don’t really see how students won’t be disadvantaged considering there’s clearly some students who weren’t effected at all and then a huge number who had to navigate constant glitches and stop/starts, or a complete failure to even start the hybrid system and then after 2 and a half exhausting hours of no food and a lot of stress be faced with a printed PDF version to start from scratch. You’re effectively putting students in that situation in exam conditions for over 5 hours straight. Some unlucky students were effectively in that situation for as long as 6 and a half hours! And that doesn’t even taken into account collusion, some students being able to see questions for hours longer than others, etc.
Original post by MathsParent2
Clearly they have chosen not to attempt any sort of re-run of the ELAT, so presumably there’s no chance they’ll consider an MAT re-run. If they are being cagey about scrapping the MAT, I don’t really see how students won’t be disadvantaged considering there’s clearly some students who weren’t effected at all and then a huge number who had to navigate constant glitches and stop/starts, or a complete failure to even start the hybrid system and then after 2 and a half exhausting hours of no food and a lot of stress be faced with a printed PDF version to start from scratch. You’re effectively putting students in that situation in exam conditions for over 5 hours straight. Some unlucky students were effectively in that situation for as long as 6 and a half hours! And that doesn’t even taken into account collusion, some students being able to see questions for hours longer than others, etc.

Exactly. It will have affected everyone differently. Some people were clearly more advantaged than others depending on how test centres reacted, how long they had to wait etc. It just doesn't make sense if they try to justify this as a fair test
Original post by Anonymous
Exactly. It will have affected everyone differently. Some people were clearly more advantaged than others depending on how test centres reacted, how long they had to wait etc. It just doesn't make sense if they try to justify this as a fair test

The fact James hasn’t posted the 10 minute video explaining the test when he always does it the day after would suggest they’re definitely going to do something
Original post by Anonymous
The fact James hasn’t posted the 10 minute video explaining the test when he always does it the day after would suggest they’re definitely going to do something

Haha fr James eat sleeps breathes MAT and if something went wrong would defo try resolve

Ok I think they'll still consider it, but make the shortlisting boundaries muchhhh lower than previous years, so like 30/40 for CS or something like that. Because even if you did experience a lot of these issues you should still be able to achieve a result like that imo
Reply 194

I think you've misremembered the polynomial. It had 1 as a root. Then the remaining factor had symmetric coefficients.
Original post by AryanRG
I got D for the radii q idk what exact number but probs got it wrong I couldn’t rationalise the denomantor correctly. I got the square ending in 225 too. And for integration I got 4 which is also a guess

I used remainders modulo 7 and 9. And only one of them was possible and I think it was 99..9. I checked that squares can only have specific remainders and all other variants didn't have them

I used Bezu theorem that roots are among the divisors of 1(independent of X term). As the x^7 coefficient is integer, therefore roots are integers and we have to check X=1 or X=-1. 1 is a solution. I may be wrong
(Original post by Anonymous)(3^10 - 1)^2 / 2, my exam crashed here so i spent an extra 40 mins on the question

what option was that?
From the Warwick University open day today - at the point where Oxford University label this years MAT exam as an unreliable exam, Warwick (and presumably Imperial, and others) will not look at it and effectively put it in the bin!
From the Warwick University open day today - at the point where Oxford University label this years MAT exam as an unreliable exam, Warwick (and presumably Imperial, and others) will not look at it and effectively put it in the bin!

So does that mean these other universities are putting the MAT in the bin, or that they are waiting for Oxford to say it is unreliable?

Quick Reply