The Student Room Group

Mat 2023

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
They should say people can submit their TMUA results from 28 Nov, if they want more data.

i dont think theyll do that cus that's unfair on those that didn't sit the tmua since they don't get the option to send in data that others get to send in
yeah i personally find it easier than the longer questions in normal mat tests. but, oxford has done this before where they only test the mc questions, and they make those mc questions way harder than the mc questions from a normal paper, so I don't think it'll be that unfair.

So will the mc questions on this supplemental paper be harder than normal MC questions on a typical MAT paper?
Another question, if a candidate sends a special consideration form but does not sit the supplemental test, would they look at that in an unfavourable light?
Another question, if a candidate sends a special consideration form but does not sit the supplemental test, would they look at that in an unfavourable light?

I don't think so; that should just mean that they have coped fine under the pressure.
I’m going through trying to redo the questions I got wrong, can someone explain how to do the Multiple choice C question, I am getting most of it and I know to use trig but I’m not getting the right answer still
Reply 385
Original post by Anonymous #22

So will the mc questions on this supplemental paper be harder than normal MC questions on a typical MAT paper?

I think so
Reply 386
The other (b) papers have more difficult multiple choice questions. TMUA is too easy in comparison
Reply 387
Original post by tayred000
I’m going through trying to redo the questions I got wrong, can someone explain how to do the Multiple choice C question, I am getting most of it and I know to use trig but I’m not getting the right answer still

From the square
1 = R(1+1/sqrt(2)) + r(1+1/sqrt(2))
so
R+r = sqrt(2)/(sqrt(2)+1) = 2-sqrt(2)
Reply 388
Original post by Anonymous #22

If you're gonna fill in the special consideration form you're saying that you were affected. In my opinion, if you were affected you might as well do the supplementary test.
Original post by mqb2766
From the square
1 = R(1+1/sqrt(2)) + r(1+1/sqrt(2))
so
R+r = sqrt(2)/(sqrt(2)+1) = 2-sqrt(2)

Why does the from the square part equal that
Reply 390
Original post by tayred000
Why does the from the square part equal that

The mat video draws the red line(s) on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKGvdK5_Tj4&ab_channel=OxfordMathematics
So the
base (=1) = R + Rcos(45) + rcos(45) + r
as the centres must lie on a diagonal of the square
So does the Rcos45+rcos45 come from the distance between the two centres
Original post by mqb2766
So the
Original post by _tjola7
If you're gonna fill in the special consideration form you're saying that you were affected. In my opinion, if you were affected you might as well do the supplementary test.

It is not required to retake if you don't want to. I understand that the school might submit the special consideration form on behalf of everyone. The disruption for someone is not that significant. If you have completed with good grades, why should it be penalized?
Original post by mqb2766
So the

I TAKE BACK ALL MY PREVIOUS QUESTIONS I HAD A BRAIN FART AND DIDNT REALISE THE DISTANCE BETWEEN THE TWO CENTRES IS JUST THE SUM KF THE TWO RADII…… thank you so much, sorry judt turns out I can’t read lol
Reply 394
Original post by Anonymous #15

It is not required to retake if you don't want to. I understand that the school might submit the special consideration form on behalf of everyone. The disruption for someone is not that significant. If you have completed with good grades, why should it be penalized?

Yh that is true, didn't think of it that way
Does anyone have predictions on average MAT scores for shortlisted and accepted applicants? Like, was this year's test easier than last year's?
Also, how lenient are the MAT graders on partial credit?
Does anyone have predictions on average MAT scores for shortlisted and accepted applicants? Like, was this year's test easier than last year's?
Also, how lenient are the MAT graders on partial credit?

You can have a look of the previous year MAT report. Quite a few very high score achiever (>90) even didn't get to interview stage.
Reply 397
You can have a look of the previous year MAT report. Quite a few very high score achiever (>90) even didn't get to interview stage.

How many is quite a few?
Original post by BigJ123
How many is quite a few?

The feedback of each year is here: https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduate-study/maths-admissions-test
Reply 399

There will usually be other reasons for this though, so nothing much can be inferred. These could easily be students who are already studying at another university, which Oxford will only exceptionally consider.

Quick Reply

Latest