The Student Room Logo

Human Sciences Oxford applicants 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by countless-blink
me neither D:
i've seen people getting exeter offers already from law and humanities, so hopefully i hear soon

Oh really, I thought Exeter only give out offers after Jan because of their ‘gathered field’ system.
Reply 41
Original post by lilorain
Is it bad that I haven’t really prepared aha. Idk I’m conflicted I don’t want to waste my time if I don’t get one but also If I do get one I’ll regret not having prepped earlier. But to prep I will probably look over the mock interviews they have online and refresh my knowledge on my PS

i’ve barely prepared tbh mostly cos i don’t think i’m gna get an interview after the tsa haha. My thinking is that human sciences is such a broad subject that they can literally ask u anything, so just going into the interview with an open mind and knowing ur PS is honestly all u can really do.
Oh really, I thought Exeter only give out offers after Jan because of their ‘gathered field’ system.

I know !!! Not sure how much truth is in it.... but hopefully soon
Oh wow !!! Did you get an email before your offer confirming they'd received your application? Mines been in for 11 days and i'm kind of concerned there's been no acknowledgement yet 🫣

No I didn’t get any form of acknowledgment before so don’t worry! They said they try to get back within 15 days I think with an offer so dw you’re good ; )
No I didn’t get any form of acknowledgment before so don’t worry! They said they try to get back within 15 days I think with an offer so dw you’re good ; )

Tysm :smile:))
Original post by Anonymous
Listening to podcasts - new scientist always has some good anthropology related stuff, reading anthropology news and watching interview prep vids on youtube - thisismani, eve bennett and rosie crawford all have some good vids about oxford interviews. Also the Jesus College oxford youtube channel has some rly useful tips for the interview!!

ah thank you so much! I didn't see this message at first, new scientist is a shout!
how long did birmingham take to reply ?? x

Hi!!
My application was sent on 9th October, they replied on 12th October! Best of luck!! Hope that helps!! x
Original post by squemily16
Hi!!
My application was sent on 9th October, they replied on 12th October! Best of luck!! Hope that helps!! x

Thanks!
Reply 48
I love how most of the Human Scientists on here can find a common ground in Exeter ahahaha. I also hate to be a pessimist but perhaps it's unwise to prep for an interview you don't have? I'd love to hear other opinions on this!

It's more so to avoid the upset in the worst case scenario that you end up not being shortlisted for interview after all the trials and tribulations that come with interview prep! Praying that we all get called to interview though, of course :smile:
Original post by cubaa
I love how most of the Human Scientists on here can find a common ground in Exeter ahahaha. I also hate to be a pessimist but perhaps it's unwise to prep for an interview you don't have? I'd love to hear other opinions on this!

It's more so to avoid the upset in the worst case scenario that you end up not being shortlisted for interview after all the trials and tribulations that come with interview prep! Praying that we all get called to interview though, of course :smile:

I would normally agree that it wouldn’t be a good idea to prepare - however as the preparation seems to predominantly be reading up on interesting things, even if i don’t get an interview, at least learning more about and enjoying the subject is a positive outcome and will help with other courses I have applied for :smile:
Original post by SoapySoapson
I would normally agree that it wouldn’t be a good idea to prepare - however as the preparation seems to predominantly be reading up on interesting things, even if i don’t get an interview, at least learning more about and enjoying the subject is a positive outcome and will help with other courses I have applied for :smile:

This is so true, I might start doing some light ‘interview preparation’ then and just have fun with it, it’ll make me feel less bad if I don’t get an interview
Reply 51
Original post by cubaa

Exeter course is so good honestly!!
Reply 52
This is so true, I might start doing some light ‘interview preparation’ then and just have fun with it, it’ll make me feel less bad if I don’t get an interview

yeah they are testing ability to think not just pure knowledge so I’m not going to over prepare
Reply 53
Hi wasn't expecting to find a thread for this niche course!! I applied to St John's and haven't added my other 4 choices yet. For anyone applying to UCL is that for the MSci with Evolution or just the BSc? Trying to decide which one to go for
Original post by frasm
Hi wasn't expecting to find a thread for this niche course!! I applied to St John's and haven't added my other 4 choices yet. For anyone applying to UCL is that for the MSci with Evolution or just the BSc? Trying to decide which one to go for

I have gone for the Msci with Evolution!! I’m assuming neither would matter too much and you could probably transfer, but I love the idea of spending a year studying evolution :smile:) which other universities and courses are you thinking of applying for?
Reply 55
I have gone for the Msci with Evolution!! I’m assuming neither would matter too much and you could probably transfer, but I love the idea of spending a year studying evolution :smile:) which other universities and courses are you thinking of applying for?

Yeah the MSci evolution looks so interesting! Will probably go with the BSc if I know I can transfer though to keep my options open. Looking at Birmingham, Exeter & Durham for HS (although the durham one looks more public health oriented?). LANS at Birmingham looks interesting too! It's tricky cause what I love about HS is how interdisciplinary it is and haven't found many options that offer that
Original post by frasm
Yeah the MSci evolution looks so interesting! Will probably go with the BSc if I know I can transfer though to keep my options open. Looking at Birmingham, Exeter & Durham for HS (although the durham one looks more public health oriented?). LANS at Birmingham looks interesting too! It's tricky cause what I love about HS is how interdisciplinary it is and haven't found many options that offer that

Oh wow our uni choices overlap a lot! I was considering applying for both LANS and HS at Birmingham but I thought there was too much geography in the HS course for my personal taste. And yeah the interdisciplinary is such a struggle especially when writing personal statements 😭😭
Reply 57
Oh wow our uni choices overlap a lot! I was considering applying for both LANS and HS at Birmingham but I thought there was too much geography in the HS course for my personal taste. And yeah the interdisciplinary is such a struggle especially when writing personal statements 😭😭

Yeah honestly focused all my efforts on personal statement and TSA (which were both nightmares) for early entry so I'm only properly looking at the other courses now!
Reply 58
Original post by frasm

Yeah I went for the bsc at UCl- just feel like it’s less constraining in case I want to master in something slightly different
Reply 59
Original post by halil32
Yeah I went for the bsc at UCl- just feel like it’s less constraining in case I want to master in something slightly different

My thoughts exactly! Think I'll leave choosing a masters to future me in case I want to go in a different direction then

Quick Reply

Latest