Turn on thread page Beta

What's the NME's problem with Keane, Embrace, Lostprophets? watch

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest what do you think NME should be writing about?
    Music is an art and hence whether you like it or not is a subjective decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teamvillage)
    Big Cheese is the only music mag worth reading at the moment TBH
    I'd say Mojo and Word are a good read too.

ReputationRep:
    uncut is good too, and i like record collector too, but mainly just to carry it around because it makes me look like a hardcore music fan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Personally I think that, back then, they were quite popular because their stuff was trendy but in all honesty, it was total ****. The singer couldn't sing to save his life (now his voice has considerably improved.
    Do not agree at all to that. I think their old songs are much much better than the new ones.
    I was into them when they released 'Good Will Out' (mainly due to my brother being a massive fan of theirs) and admire songs like 'Come Back to What You Know', "I Want the World" and 'All You Good Good People'...oh how they remind me of travelling through France as a child.
    When I heard the new songs I couldn't believe how much they have changed, and, in my opinion, it seems to be a change for the worse. In fact, I can't even remember what the new songs are called and I can still remember the old ones even though I haven't heard it for at least a year or two.
    Oh look at me, I'm doing what I was complaining about a few weeks ago, but when people say that Embrace's old stuff is "****" (which I'm guessing is the "s" word) I won't let them get away with it.

ReputationRep:
    come on, can you actually take anything the NME says seriously? For crying out loud, they had Pete from the Libertines as their "coolest person of 2004". What's so cool about stealing from your friends, going to court, missing a hearing, just because he wants to get smacked off his face?

someone from a band I like said (when they went round to petes flat) he was buzzin class A style and it was just so sad to see someone that dependant on drugs

anyway, conclusion:
    NME = ******s

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah - the only magazines I read now are free; Sandman Sheffield (for which I do occasional writing), vice and blowback, all great magazines, and FREE! Much better than the NME, which I'm guessing costs around £3 now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    I'd say Mojo and Word are a good read too.
    I've bought an issue of Word. Pretty good stuff. They're clearly focused on the songwriting aspect of music which is interesting, albeit a bit restricted.

NME costs 1 pound 80 and comes out weekly, thus you can't really compare it to other, monthly, magazines. Yes, a lot of the guys who seem to work at NME seem to be idiots. But when it comes to exclusive stuff, and concert listing, nothing seems to come near it. There are so many concerts that don't get listed in other magazines and on many websites. For example, I went to see the Dears at the Electric Ballroom and the following day there was an interview with Murray Lightburn, the frontman. If there were other magazines like that, I'd buy them but there aren't so I just put up with some of the crap. Even when they start claiming a mediocre, bland band with nothing original is the next best thing and they're going to be huge everywhere. Then after the first EP release, you never hear about them again. As they're right 1% of the time, that probably satisfies them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raagyone)
    Do not agree at all to that. I think their old songs are much much better than the new ones.
    I was into them when they released 'Good Will Out' (mainly due to my brother being a massive fan of theirs) and admire songs like 'Come Back to What You Know', "I Want the World" and 'All You Good Good People'...oh how they remind me of travelling through France as a child.
    When I heard the new songs I couldn't believe how much they have changed, and, in my opinion, it seems to be a change for the worse. In fact, I can't even remember what the new songs are called and I can still remember the old ones even though I haven't heard it for at least a year or two.
    Oh look at me, I'm doing what I was complaining about a few weeks ago, but when people say that Embrace's old stuff is "****" (which I'm guessing is the "s" word) I won't let them get away with it.
    Personally, I loved Drawn from Memory and liked most of TGWO, then there were a few nice songs on If you've never been but it wasn't as good and the songs off that and this album don't stick with me with as much feeling as DFM and TGWO....still love Embrace though xxx

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2005
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.