Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi :tsr:

Mornin'

Well, got a question. At the beginning of March, I'm organizing a collection in my college. Collection meaning that I'm going to collect loads of the same type of Item and give it to the local orphanage. Every month from my college I organize a collection and the March Month collection is coming up as Feb is done. I collected toothbrushes in October and that was a huge success. Then I collected notebooks for the kid's education. AT Christmas time I set up a tree in one of the corridors and put loads of name tags on them of all the kids in the orphanage with their gender and age. ANd people picked those tags and bought gifts for those children. IT was a huge success. Apart from the Christmas collection, the collections have been pretty ordinary: toothbrushes, books, etc etc but this time I want to think of something completely different to collect and make it a really unique collection like the tree/tag thing! So...my question to all of you is Can you think of anything that would be a fun collection process in my college? See, my college students, like any other school have to be motivated to do something and if something is not fun then they really can't be bothered. The tree thing they enjoyed. So can you come up with any other items that would be fun to collect and also how would I go about collecting them in a unique way rather than just asking them "bring in notebooks etc"

Let me know - I still have time but thought I'd get your minds thinking for a little while!

Thanks guys- you're a huge help!!

Love Ladyshort

ReputationRep:
    Come on Guys...All you intelligent people on :tsr: must have some good and unique ideas for this collection.....put ur creative minds to work...

ReputationRep:
    Well its Easter soon, so why not make a basket and plastic/Paper eggs, put their names in the egg and let people pick them out and buy a Easter Egg for them?- like the christmas idea, and then hold a small party for them on Easter.

My friend Jie suggests;

i think u can prob'bly collect used batteries, then sell them. u know it's not friendly to our environment. on the other hand u can help make a difference. n another idea is to collect clothes dat u don't/won't need.

ReputationRep:
    i dont know what kind of things ppl usualy collect for orphanages..

but i was thinking..and i came up with an idea..
    since all these children there are so lonely..and many times they dont know what to do..so what if u would ask yor students (each of them) to come up with a game (ball game, wordgame..and they have to invent it..it CAN NOT be a game they played somewhere..something original) that these children can play in their spare time..

then they can write the rules of the game..andd explain how to play it on a nice paper and close it into an envelope..
    then u can give it to the children..it will be like a present since it is CLOSED in an envelope..

u know..collage student are very creative so i am sure they will come up with variety of different interesting games..and they will enjoy it..

(i think that there is a little possibility that 2 persons will come up with completely identical games

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    Well its Easter soon, so why not make a basket and plastic/Paper eggs, put their names in the egg and let people pick them out and buy a Easter Egg for them?- like the christmas idea, and then hold a small party for them on Easter.

My friend Jie suggests;

i think u can prob'bly collect used batteries, then sell them. u know it's not friendly to our environment. on the other hand u can help make a difference. n another idea is to collect clothes dat u don't/won't need.

THANX!!! yeh that is a good idea about the easter eggs thing!! I'll look into it - keep the ideas coming guys!!! thanx again saiyamana and friend Jie!

ReputationRep:
    Easy, Playstation 2's, next question please!!

ReputationRep:
    i got scared for a minute there!

collections in oxbridge are scary beginning of term exams. and i'm still traumatised my mine..

anyway, little toys are always good for orphanages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parsimony)
    i dont know what kind of things ppl usualy collect for orphanages..

but i was thinking..and i came up with an idea..
    since all these children there are so lonely..and many times they dont know what to do..so what if u would ask yor students (each of them) to come up with a game (ball game, wordgame..and they have to invent it..it CAN NOT be a game they played somewhere..something original) that these children can play in their spare time..

then they can write the rules of the game..andd explain how to play it on a nice paper and close it into an envelope..
    then u can give it to the children..it will be like a present since it is CLOSED in an envelope..

u know..collage student are very creative so i am sure they will come up with variety of different interesting games..and they will enjoy it..

(i think that there is a little possibility that 2 persons will come up with completely identical games

AMAZING - well done - that could definitely be a possibility! only problem is that the kids in the orphanage cannot read or write english as they are from a poor south indian background! but i'm sure something could be sorted out ! keep the ideas coming guys.... thanx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyshort4u)
    AMAZING - well done - that could definitely be a possibility! only problem is that the kids in the orphanage cannot read or write english as they are from a poor south indian background! but i'm sure something could be sorted out ! keep the ideas coming guys.... thanx
    Any Indian culture festivals/holidays coming up this month? I think it would be nice to base your ideas around a theme like that.

ReputationRep:
    Condoms! For the orphaned over 12's. Think I'm joking? I'm not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toy Soldier)
    Condoms! For the orphaned over 12's. Think I'm joking? I'm not.

that was not needed........

keep the ideas coming guys! practical and logical ideas please...thanx

ReputationRep:
    Come on guys! any more ideas on how to make this collection the most successful one ever!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyshort4u)
    hm and isn't there somebody who can translate it?

or u know what u can try? when they can not read english we can try something where reading is not necessary..
    what about .. each student has to bring one coloured pencil and one black and white picture children can colour (u know like the ones in colouring books) .. and the best would be if the students would draw this pictures themselves (they can enjoy it)

then u can put all the coloured pencils together in one box..and each child will get one (or two picture) to color ..i know i loved it when i was small
    and it is also good for developing their skills and imagination : )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parsimony)
    hm and isn't there somebody who can translate it?

or u know what u can try? when they can not read english we can try something where reading is not necessary..
    what about .. each student has to bring one coloured pencil and one black and white picture children can colour (u know like the ones in colouring books) .. and the best would be if the students would draw this pictures themselves (they can enjoy it)

then u can put all the coloured pencils together in one box..and each child will get one (or two picture) to color ..i know i loved it when i was small
    and it is also good for developing their skills and imagination : )

yeh - good idea! keep the ideas coming - remember it is an orphanage and we want to supply these children with stuff that they couldn't normally afford and that they will make good use out of and will enjoy to use/wear/play with etc - so thanks so far to everyone - and keep the ideas coming!

CHEERZ

love ladyshort

ReputationRep:
    hey guys - jss wondering if you have any more ideas for the collection im organizing in march...please keep ideas coming

thanx

Love Ladyshort

ReputationRep:
    come on guys - u must want to help children who are suffereing right - and i know a lot of you are creative minded - give me your ideass...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.